PDA

View Full Version : Zucchini Pancakes

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Marlaine
Sat, Aug-03-02, 12:14
In keeping with my enjoyment of NON breakfast foods for breakfast here's my latest adventure!

Grate 1-6" zucchini into a small bowl.
Chop 1 green onion and mix with the zucchini.
Break 1 large egg into the bowl and mix thoroughly adding salt and pepper to taste.
Melt 1 tsp butter combined with 1tsp olive oil in a frying pan.
Spoon three mounds of the zucchini mixture into the pan and fry until lightly browned, pressing down to flatten. Flip and while second side is browning, sprinkle 1 oz grated cheddar cheese over each pancake.

Serve stacked so that the cheese is ooey-gooey between the pancakes. Yummmmmm!!! I'll be making this one again and again and again!!

Total: _ 316_ calories
Fat: 25g
Carbs: 10g
__Fiber: 3g
Protein: 15g

Karen
Sun, Aug-04-02, 13:33
Hey Marlaine!

One thing that you might try is squeezing the water out of the zucchini with your hands after you grate it. It will keep the pancakes "tighter".

Karen

Marlaine
Sun, Aug-04-02, 15:46
Karen.....

I had planned to do just that, however this was a very fresh organic zucchini and much to my surprise, it wasn't watery at all!
I think a less fresh larger zucchini would definately need a squeeze.

M

Cinderella
Wed, Aug-07-02, 12:06
YUMMM...what a great idea!!

I've been looking for something different. Thanks for the idea!

cin

RedheadFl
Sun, Jun-29-03, 18:54
I've been making this for years with different vegies and bit of flour added to it. Now I don't use the flour and its still great as breakfast or a side dish.....especially with a dolip of sour cream on top.

Karla
Tue, Jul-01-03, 08:58
Marlaine,

I made these this morning for my DH's breakfast and he liked them a lot! I'm going to have them for lunch, but I tasted them this morning and they were delicious and very easy to make. I did add a teaspoon of oat flour just to make sure they'd stay together (even though I did squeeze the zucchini to get rid of the water), but for lunch I'll try them without the flour.

DH liked the pancakes with the cheese, but next time says he wants to use my homemade maple flavor syrup instead :eek: ; I know it sounds wierd, but he used to put maple syrup on potato pancakes sometimes too!

Karla

Luanna_nz
Sat, Jan-17-04, 14:41
Marlaine

Yummy really enjoyed!

thank you.

peapod
Sat, Mar-27-04, 13:40
thanks this was great..

thanks for the suggestion to squeeze the water out.. im not a great cook and wouldnt have known

Kristine
Sat, Mar-27-04, 13:55
I like these, too. :thup:

I like to use coffee filters for the squeezing process.

If you can afford the carbs, mix in a Tbsp or two of gluten flour and they'll hold together better. :thup:

el123
Tue, Apr-20-04, 20:32
like low carb latkes... sounds great! i'll definitely give this a try :)

Lobstergal
Sat, Jun-19-04, 06:51
I don't know how true this is as I have not tried zucchini yet but I read somewhere that the small ones were better to use as the large ones tend to be 'woody'.

I am going to try this recipe tomorrow. I have wanted to try zucchini and this recipe looks good and easy enough.

*rosebud*
Sat, Jul-23-05, 22:41
I tried these tonight and split them with my mom. We both enjoyed them.

My mom makes a form of these (with flour) and uses all sorts of vegies from her garden. I thought I'd have to suffer this summer while the rest of the family had them, but now I can just make these!! I'm happy. :)