PDA

View Full Version : Help in Winnipeg

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Goddess2
Fri, Aug-02-02, 17:29
:help: anyone located in Winnipeg or the surrounding area. I am seeking a buddy to connect with locally to share, thoughts feelings, successes, and failures. I have two years before hitting the big 50 and have been telling myself that I will make healthier decisions since I turned 40. :D I am a bit confused as to how this web site works. Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks
Hugs,
Goddess

Theresafed
Sun, Sep-01-02, 16:25
Hello there Goddess!

I would love to keep in touch in regards to our weight loss success and hurdles.

I have low carbing for about a month and have lost about 6 pounds. But, I have to admitt that I didn't do the best I could so now I am on a machine!

Seeing how you are in Winnipeg maybe you could help me. Is there any good low carb products around that you have found. We have no products around here and I would really like to have a change once in awhile. Like hot cereals or sugar free syrups or anything else for that matter!

Its nice to find to share our weight experences with.
:wave:

Cossack
Sun, Sep-22-02, 12:33
Also a Pegger..havent had much luck finding lo carb products..but I havent looked that hard..hope al is going great for ya..and if you find anything good..let me know.

Jim

Robin
Thu, Oct-24-02, 02:44
Hello...

Sorry I'm late. I have been in a different job for the summer, and with the wacky schedule, plus coming back from three weeks holidays, haven't had the time to visit regularly.

Low carb foods in the Peg...

Your favourite supermarket du jour for the regular stuff like meat, veggies, eggs, and cheese

Safeway for Bob Mills soy flour and bacon puffs. Old Dutch won't sell to the general public anymore. You can also get Price Choppers to bring in a box for you. They will charge you a little bit extra, but still not a bad price.

Wal-Mart for macadamia nuts. Far cheaper than Safeway!

Borowski's Health Food Store on St. Anne's for low carb chocolate bars and Aitkins Raspberry Syrup (it's made with Splenda). Sure adds a nice zip to the wild berry mix from the St. James Costco (Transcona doesn't carry it). Borowski's does have a small supply of Dr. Aitkins products. If there is something special you would like, ask Debbie if she could order it for you.

Costco also carries a low carb protein powder. Don't have the name at the moment. It's downstairs and it's 3:30 a.m.!

There is also a health food store that stocks some low carb products and they are across from the Royal Fork, close to Saan's in Transcona.

Scoop and Weigh on Grant for wheat gluten and the various things needed for Gabi's Bread. We throw in sunflower, flax, and sesame seeds. They have a nice selection of sugar free chocolates, however, they are expensive and you can eat too many of them. Bathroom visits could be the result, especially the jelly bellies. Keep in mind these are sugarless and not necessarily low carb!

If you go out to a restaurant, make them give it to you your way!
If you go for the ribs at Montana's, ask for them without sauce. Instead of coleslaw or beans, they do really nice steamed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots, with garlic butter) They will bring you double veggies if you opt out of the other sides. You can eat the carrots, or not.

If you don't mind a higher carb dinner, (who knows what's in the seasoning mix) ask for the fajitas without tortillas. They will substitute leaf lettuce for the tortillas and while they are a little fragile, it makes a nice substitute. We usually get the fajitas for two with a mix of steak and chicken and ask for extra veggies.

We just came back from a visit to Fargo and found La Tortillas at the Cash Wise by West Acres and stocked up on those, plus some Dr. Aitkins bars. The bars aren't too bad, but I think I would rather have the occasional Ross Chocolate Bar. I made Tortilla rolls for lunch the other day. Not bad, seemed a little doughy, but an nice change.

We bought a 12 pack of white grape soda made with Splenda. I'm not used to the taste. Reminds me of Koolaid. Have to use lots of ice.

Happy Harry's in Grand Forks stocks the Michelob Low Carb beer. It was 5.99 for 6. With the exchange rate, it's a bit pricey, but would be nice for the occasional treat. It's chilling in the fridge now, so will have to do a taste test.

My hubby, Ray, checked out some of the food stores in GF for the tortillas, but so far, no go. Be a shame if we had to go all the way to Fargo to stock up!

Robin

Shirley145
Sat, Jun-14-03, 16:18
Thanks for the good info