PDA

View Full Version : I think I've stalled!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

DK141612
Thu, Aug-01-02, 13:04
I can't find any keto sticks to show if I've been losing weight, but I think I've stalled. I started LCing 2 weeks ago, and I only lost 3 lbs. I've been stuck on this weight for about a week or so. I just starting upping (and I'm trying desperatly I may add) my calories...would that help me lose weight fast? I'm still on induction, so I eat around 15-18 carbs a day. A lot of the carbs come from veggies. I drink enough water, and I've been staying away from low-carb bars for about 3 or 4 days, I limited my cheese b/c I know that could stall you, and I haven't been eating nuts. I'm low on calories b/c I haven't been very hungry. And when I do get desperately hungry, I'm always at a bad place where there aren't any low-carb foods. Has anybody had any trouble like I'm having? What did you do?

PurpleDawg
Fri, Aug-02-02, 09:49
Don't worry about stalling, or even using the keto sticks if you don't want. Stalling is natural. Your body is a dynamic and constantly changing machine that won't simply go from start weight to target weight on a straight and unwinding path.

Part of why you may be stalling is because you're relatively close to your goal weight already. You've simply got to be consistent. Also, your goal weight may not be as ideal for you as you think. If you've never been that light before, or it's been a long time, then you may not be able to reach that goal again. The important thing is that you look and feel healthy.

Don't forget about muscle too. If you've been eating a lot of protein and doing any kind of resistance exercise, you may have actually gained muscle mass (which is much more dense than fat) and would cause you to appear as though you're losing nothing or even gaining. Something to keep in mind is keeping a log of inches lost. If you're not "losing weight" but inches are coming off, you're doing fine!

~Aaron

Marlaine
Fri, Aug-02-02, 11:16
Hi there......

Just wanted to comment here on how a stall is defined. A stall will last at least four weeks with no change in weight and no loss of inches. At this point.....I don't think you are in a stall.

That said, I would suggest that you add in some more carbs. There is no need to go below 20g a day and you may even find that by bumping it up to 25g or 30g a day that you lose better. Being too low on calories will indicate to your body that there is a famine and your metabolism will slow to compensate. Get those calories up to 10-12X your current weight.

And lastly.....know that LCing is not a quick fix. If you are serious about making the changes, it needs to be a lifetime commitment. The danger of using LC to lose weight and then going back to your old way of eating is that you'll yo-yo, up and down and teach your body to be very resistant to weight loss.

If you haven't already read the thread about yo-yo'ing it's here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30509

And another thread about the Abuse of Atkins Induction is here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29249&highlight=atkins+abusers

Keep in mind that you can't have too much information!

Wishing you success at your LC plan.

Marlaine

DK141612
Fri, Aug-02-02, 18:32
Thanks for your help :)

I'm starting to up my calories more. It just takes me time. I get full very easily from 1 meal. I usually eat breakfast around 8 am, but I won't be hungry till maybe 3, and I won't eat much. But since I started upping calories, I've just been eating little things like tuna salad, cold meat (porkchops, chicken-no lunchmeat though). I'm maybe up to around 1100-1200 calories a day. I'm trying to get to around 1500, but it's sorta hard. Oh, I know that LC'ing isn't a quick fix. I want to stick with it. I feel so much better doing it. There's a local healthstore a few miles from me that specializes in lc foods. So, I plan to go there soon and get foods that I'd normally eat that have a lot of carbs like crackers, pretzals, etc...b/c they have that in lc. I also want to try Flax-O-Meal. I'm not abusing it or anything, this is something that I want to stick to. Again, thanks for all your help and support :)

Marlaine
Fri, Aug-02-02, 22:48
Originally posted by DK141612
There's a local healthstore a few miles from me that specializes in lc foods. So, I plan to go there soon and get foods that I'd normally eat that have a lot of carbs like crackers, pretzals, etc...b/c they have that in lc.

Please keep in mind that YMMV with the LC foods. Many forum members have found that these are foods that stall them. You can see a list of foods that commonly stall folks, here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27149.

Sounds to me like you have the right attitude to be successful at this! I'll enjoy watching your progress.

Marlaine

DK141612
Sat, Aug-03-02, 07:12
Thanks for the list :)

I was planning to start w/ the other low-carb foods after my induction...does that sound like a good idea?

Marlaine
Sat, Aug-03-02, 08:33
Which "other LC foods" do you mean?

DK141612
Sat, Aug-03-02, 15:53
Mostly anything LC you can think of. It's a health food store that specializes in maily LC. they sell everything from chips to brownies, flax-o-meal cereal. just stuff like that. i'm waiting till after induction though b/c i'm planning to stick w/ lc'ing.

skatrmom
Mon, Oct-20-03, 19:03
hey marlaine, I've been low carbing on Induction for 2 weeks now, have'nt lost anything!! if anything my pants feel tighter! but I don't look heavier? what is going on?? this is frustrating? maybe low carbing is no good for me?? HELP! skatrmom