PDA

View Full Version : SP Meal Ideas - Breakfast

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lisaf
Thu, Aug-01-02, 11:57
Some stuff I've cut and pasted from old posts:

Here are some of my favourite breakfasts, past and present....

. Anything with eggs and lots of em. My favourite are eggs scrambled with cream, diced cream cheese and Parmesan. Sometimes I fry up some diced bacon, throw in some cut of veggies and then pour the egg mixture over it.
2. Oatmeal w/ cream and butter
3. Ricotta cheese w/ raspberries or other fruit
4. Full fat cottage cheese w/ fruit
5. Flax meal cereal w/ a dash of cloves, cream and a bit of Splenda
6. Full fat yogurt w/ fruit
Often I will have some Ryvita crackers with butter but I don't usually have toast although I recently bought a loaf of Spelt Bread that was yeast free that tasted just amazing with the macadamia nut butter that I paid a fortune for (but it was worth it!)

Egg ideas:

1. Stir fry some baby spinach....pour eggs over and add feta cheese
2. Kitchen sink omlette - fry up diced leftover bacon w/ diced onion, green pepper, spinach, zucchini etc. Add eggs and shredded cheese.
3. Prosciutto and brie...need I say more? Okay there aren't any veggies but its nice beside a salad.
4. Smoked salmon and diced cream cheese and green onion
5. Asparagus and swiss cheese

Other ideas:

Poached eggs over brown toast
There are some interesting low-carb cereals out there - I've tried flax plus and GoLean and they are quite good although there is some sugar...very high in fibre and relatively low in carbs. Particularly yummy when eaten w/ cream instead of milk!
Cottage cheese cakes - obviously not with syrup - I like to put a dollop of ricotta and some sliced berries on top and roll them like a tortilla. Would probably also be great with a bit of peanut butter.

Cottage cakes:

1 cup cottage cheese
3 tbsp ground almonds
3 tbsp soy flour (I use Atkins bake mix)
2 eggs
1 tbsp Splenda (optional)
1/2 tsp baking soda (if you don't use the bake mix)

Mix up in blender - store in fridge. Entire recipe has 33 carbs so if you half it you'll be good to go! Hint - when frying them up, flip them way later than you would normal pancakes or they will fall apart. Also make them small - dollar sized is good.

Another pancake recipe from razzle:

First, razzle's own flour mix: 1/2 almond flour, 1/4 soy, 1/4 brown rice flour (yes, carbier, but
lighter than the other two flours, too)

1/2 c razzle's own flour mix
1 egg
2 T melted butter
salt
baking soda
2 T sour cream (didn't have any regular cream, and this worked fine)
2 t Splenda
2 T water
3/4 c. blueberries

Here is a recipe for flax muffins you can also try...this is a link to someone's journal and the recipe is about 5-6 posts down.
Flax muffins (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=430341&highlight=flax+muffins#post430341)

patsyo
Thu, Aug-01-02, 13:31
I am newly registered today! I have read the sp book and is oatmeal ok?

lisaf
Thu, Aug-01-02, 13:48
Yup - check your book for the amount you can have depending on your activity level.

Lisa

razzle
Thu, Aug-01-02, 16:33
wow lisa, what a useful list!

It struck me that i've been LCing for over 500 days, and I must have had eggs 450 of those mornings...and I'm not tired of them yet! :D Maybe one of these days I will be, but they sure are yummy.