PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jessa_rose
Tue, Jul-30-02, 19:11
Well, I've been doing CAD for about a week and a half now ,and I think that things are going well, I've lost about 5 pounds or so, and I can't wait to finally ge tbelow 180 pounds, and even closer to my goal!

I just have a couple of questions about a few different foods. The first one I am wondering about is bean sprouts, I was just wondering if it is a low carb veggie, or should I stay away? I made a vegetable stir fry last week, and I was really wanting to put some bean sprouts in it, but I wasn't sure if I could.

The second one is a little dumb, but I am wondering if I can chew gum between meals. I have always been a huge gum person, I just like being able to chew something, so I was wondering if I have to cut that out?

If anyone can h elp me that would be greatly appreciated!!!

-Jessa

Ivory
Tue, Jul-30-02, 21:34
I'm not sure about bean sprouts Jess, are they in the chart at the back of the CAD book?

Some people don't recommend gum because it can cause cravings, but I wouldn't worry about that, I chewed a lot of gum at the beginning. Dentyne Ice is recommended for low carb diets so thats what I'd chew if I was you.

Libbyfcr
Wed, Jul-31-02, 12:08
Bean sprouts, raw....... are listed in the back of your CAD book page 300, as having 6 grams of carbohydrates per 1 cup. Now who actually eats a whole cup at a time eh? LOL

In the CALP book page 121 bean sprouts are listed on the Craving-Reducing Foods list along with Alfalfa sprouts. They are a wonderful addition to my salads. Love em.

Gum.... well basically CALP says to skip the gum. It's on page 60 in the CALP book if you want to read more. Even if you are chewing a sugarless gum, your body, the carbohydrate addicted thing that it is......might see gum as a reason to trigger a "heightened insulin response" which in turn makes you crave things you don't want to be eating.

If you haven't got the CALP book I would suggest borrowing it from your library. I find it to be much clearer and I refer to it much more often than the CAD book. The program is basically the same, but the CALP book is my preference.

Best wishes,
:wave: Libby

Wanda L
Wed, Jul-31-02, 13:04
Libby:
(I am addressing this to Libby, since she seems to had read and know both books CAD and CALD very good, but I welcome anybody's reply who can answer my question).

I read the CAD book and choose to start my diet with this plan. However, when I asked the difference between CAD and CALP I was told that the RM in CALP has to start with a salad 1/3 veg., 1/3 of meat, 1/3 carb, and that in CAD you don't have to start your RM with salad.

In my CAD Book, page 120, it does explain that your RM has to start with the salad and the 1/3s as in CALP, this is kind of confusing for me.

I do have salads and veg during my CM, and normally have a salad or veg for my RM, however I don't like to have both at my RM. I am very moderate on how I eat my RM, I always eat protein (I love meat so I don't have any problem with protein) but limit my carb foods (i.e., one pice of bread then no dessert, if I have dessert then no bread, and always have another carb item such as rice or a small potatoe, etc.

Do you think I have a newer version of CAD book, was this book re-writen to add the RM changes?

Thanks Guys

Wanda L. From Texas :wave:

Libbyfcr
Wed, Jul-31-02, 14:04
Lets see..... the CAD book that I have now says it was printed by Signet in 1993. The one I gave away recently had a different cover and I do believe was older. I have read them both but can't remember the differences. I guess after a while things tend to blend together.

I guess the thing I liked better with CALP was eliminating all the Plans. "Plan A", "Plan B"..... C and D.

Plan C is just like the CALP book. Two Complimentary Meals each day and a Reward Meal. For me, the Reward Meal is usually dinner (supper for ya'll from the south)

Just like CAD, CALP has you follow the same plan. I have salad with my dinner, a LC Veggie, my protein and my higher carb item. I usually try to have a higher carb veggie or squash or beans....anyway... I try to make my high carb item be a food that is good for me. Once in a while I have cheesecake as my higher carb item. (Or Carbohydrate Rich Food as written in the CALP book)

Wanda... you say you are very moderate in how you eat your RM. I think that is the ticket. I do believe, for me anyway, as long as my dinner is moderatly balanced and I watch the Carbs then if I have a big salad and no LC Veggie... it's no big deal. Sometimes I have lots of veggies in my salad. That counts as a LC Veggie AND a salad.

For the most part CAD and CALP are similar.

What I REALLY like about CALP is the Options For Life.
These nine Options have made a difference for me. They go beyond the food intake and promote other healthy habits.

1. The Chromium Option...... I take chromium. This was an easy option to follow.

2. Activity and Movement Option.... well thats easy. We all know that a little exercise is good for us. :D

3. MSG Easing Option..... that was easy for me too. I try to avoid Monosodium Glutamate. Sometimes it is hidden.....but I try.

4. Over the Counter Remedy Timing Option. This option was one I didn't have to do because I take no medications. Basically it explains how medications or things like breath freshners or mints might fool your body into thinking they are "sweets"

5 The Stress Reduction Option.... You guessed it..... less stress is better. Good Option to read up on. I am still working on this one. I am doing better..... but stress is always in our lives and how we deal with it affects our health.

6.Breaking the Sugar Substitue Connection Option..... Sugar substitutes are not a "free ride" . It fakes your body out... makes it think that it is getting sweets and falsely signal your body to release excess insulin..... which isn't what we want!

7 Complex Carbo Option.... simple sugars and complex carbs. Complex carbs are rich in starches. I find that my weight and my cravings are lower if I stick to mostly to complex carbs.

8.Caffeine Reducing Option. There is a lot to read on this and I have already written a novel. Anyway...... I no longer drink coffee or diet coke. Enough said

9........ and last but not least....the Food Frequency Reducing Option..... If you are not hungry for a meal, SKIP IT. Once in a while it isn't going to hurt. Just remember to get enough food in your other meals so that you don't make your body think you are starving..... and we don't want to screw up our metabolism.

I can't believe I wrote all this.
LOL...... I love working on my CALP..... keeps me headed in the right direction.
:wave: Libby

Wanda L
Wed, Jul-31-02, 14:18
Libby: What is the Chromium for? and does it help with your weight? What kind should I buy?

Also, what are Complex Carbo? do you have a list of them?

Of all the nine options, I can handle 7, but there are some plasures I need to have in my live, I gave up smoking about 12 years ago, I am not a daily drinker (social may be once a month sometimes longer) and I want to eat healthy even if that means more green stuff, .........but my morning coffee with half and half and 2 pack of splenda.........and at least once a day a free caffeing diet coke I am not ready to give up yet, or never, maybe the diet coke, but definetly not my coffee. So I will stick with all the 7vens I can live with, even if it means a slower but steady weight lost.

You have been sooooooooo nice answering my questions !!!

Thanks Very MUCHO :wave:

Libbyfcr
Thu, Aug-01-02, 11:34
Hmmmm.... First I write a long detailed reply about Chromium and Complex Carbs...... quite liked it too, I might add...... and then got kicked off AOL....... then I get back on and type a modified reply.......and got kicked off AOL. So now I am peeved.

This might be really short. LOL

Actually there is probably a lot of information on both subjects already posted on this site somewhere.

Chromium: Chromium is a mineral needed for energy. It is vital in the synthesis of cholesterol, fats, and protein. Chromium maintains a stable blood sugar leval through proper insulin utilization, and can be helpful for diabetics and folks with hypoglycemia. Studies have shown that low plasma chromium levels can be an indication of coronary artery disease.

There are a few types of chromium available. The one that the CALP book and my book on Supplements suggests is GTF Chromium. (Glucose Tolerance Factor). Chromium Picolinate is the other form of chromium and according to the Heller's simply has not had as much research as GTF Chromium. Anyway...... the CALP book suggests "Solgar's" GTF Chromium which is certified biologically active. I buy "Soloray".

The National Research Council says that 50 to 200 Micrograms of Trivalent chromium each days is a safe and adequate intake for most adults. MOST pills contain 200 Micrograms so that one pill per day is what you need. Watch out for that one when you shop. Some of them have different amounts. You want 200 Mcg.

Okay..... so this is what I would shop for:
GTF CHROMIUM...... that is BIOLOGICALLY ACTIVE, has no other added ingredients and comes in 200 MCG's per pill.

I am ending this now and sending it before I get kicked out again..... gona have my breakfast and get back to ya on Complex Carbs. :D

Wanda L
Thu, Aug-01-02, 11:42
Libby: You are a treasure !! :thup: all that typing you are wonderfulllllllll !! Thanks again, I won't ask you no more questions feel bad you will burn up those finger tips :D, I have the GNC kind and will start taking it today.

So far I have lost 1 pound since monday, so I guess what I am doing is good.

I am affraid of the weekend since I am going to a friend's B-day party, Not concern about the food but the wine, I will give up my RM to be able to drink wine while the party last. Plan to take my own pork skin for chips and my own cheese dip.

Thanks sooo much for all your info.

Let me know how you are doing on CAD and how much are you losing on a week period. I love to hear about your experiences during this CAD living time.

Please keep in touch !!

Wanda L. :wave:

Libbyfcr
Thu, Aug-01-02, 11:55
BTW.... the CALP book has a lot of info on Chromium. You might like to read it sometime.

Also..... about Chromium.... without enough Chromium your body will often overproduce insulin..... which leads you to crave the very junk that robbed your body of its chromium in the first place. (CALP, page 74)

Basically Carbs fall into two catagories. Simple Sugars and Complex Carbs. (CALP page 151)

Simple sugars are things like table sugar, fruit juice and high fructose corn syrup...... um.....candy and soda pop are simple sugars. Fruit is a simple sugar but fruit also contains fiber and vitamins that we want.

Complex Carbs are things like grain, rice, pasta and starchy vegetables ...... potatoes and corn are two.

Except for fruit I try to stay away from simple sugars. The only time I ever have fruit these days is with my Reward Meal.

Anyway... according to the CALP book many Carb Addicts have less cravings with the Complex Carbs as part of their Reward Meal instead of Simple Sugars.

There is a lot more to read up on about Complex Carbs, maybe someone can help us out. Nat? Where are you when we need ya? LOL.

I just know this..... I do much better with corn and potatoes than I do resisting seconds on candy bars and ice cream. I eat simple sugars and my cravings go nuts.

Hope this helps. :wave:
Libby

Libbyfcr
Thu, Aug-01-02, 12:13
So far I have lost 1 pound since monday, so I guess what I am doing is good.

Good Job! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Thats how you do it. One little pound at a time.

Today is August 1st. Exactly 7 full months since New Years. Today I am 50 and 1/2 pounds lighter than I was on New Years Day.

I lost a lot of weight in the first three weeks and then about one to two pounds a week after that until the last 8 weeks. For the last 8 weeks I have been floating around in the same 4 pounds. Back and forth...... back and forth. It got a little frusterating. I am sticking with three meals a day. Watching my carbs.... keeping them in my Reward Meal. I knew that I wanted to loose a few more pounds but I also knew that I needed to just stick with the program, eat right and eventually it will come.

I don't know if my body will settle at 130 or 140 pounds. What I want is to be at a weight that fits me now, not 15 years and 3 pregnancies ago. I want stability in my weight. I want my health most of all.

It has taken me many mistakes and many years to come to an understanding about how MY body works. I can't begin to say how much the Heller's and what they have written has changed my life.

omgosh.....
another novel. LOL
:p Libby