PDA

View Full Version : Need Recipe for Ketchup,Cocktail, what brand Mayo do most of you use?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

itsmeagain
Tue, Jul-30-02, 16:34
I'm new here, just a couple of days old.... Thats pretty young huh? Yeah, I wish Hahahah (3days to be exact) but anyways, I'd like to know what brand Mayo most of you use.

All I find is mayo with sugars in them.
And how do you define sugars on the labels

Does anyone know the chemically defined names of sugars listed on labels?

I'd also like to know how to make some low carb sugar free ketchup and Cocktail sauce for my fresh shrimp.

Rolling with
Thanks ItsMeAgain :roll:

pattiwoods
Tue, Jul-30-02, 17:48
Kraft and Hellmans "Real" Mayo has 0 carbs. Miracle Whip has sugar, but the basic no frills mayo has 0.

I can't help you with the ketchup/cocktail sauce. I'd hope someone out there can offer an alternative.

If you are looking for something "saucey," here's a good suggestion for round steak. Brown the steak with a little oil in a skillet and salt/pepper to taste. Then add a can of beef broth (no carbs). Cover and let it simmer for about an hour. It will be very tender and creates a yummy juice. Perhaps you can pretend the juice is a sauce. :daze:

Good luck!

Karla
Tue, Jul-30-02, 20:37
I make my own ketchup using a thickener called not/Starch from Expert Foods. There is a recipe on their web site, www.expertfoods.com; I started with that, but now I use tomato sauce (Hunt's has no sugar) instead of the tomato juice called for in the recipe. The sauce has fewer carbs than the juice and I can use less of the not/Starch, which is not cheap. You could probably use xanthan gum or guar gum instead of the not/Starch, but you'd have to experiment.

I have made the cocktail sauce recipe in "The Joy of Cooking," but I'm sure there are tons of recipes. The key is the sugar free ketchup; I think the JOC recipe called for horseradish and lemon juice, but I don't have it handy at the moment.

I have always used onlyl Hellman's mayonnaise, and was happy to find it also has no carbs.

Karla

Karen
Wed, Jul-31-02, 09:31
Does anyone know the chemically defined names of sugars listed on labels? Check the article on The Many Names of Sugar under Low Carb Tips at the top of the page.

Contrary to popular belief, even though the Hellman's label (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31174&highlight=mayonnaise+thread)says 0 carbs, it has carbs, but not enough for anyone - yep, broad generalization - to worry about unless your bottom line is completely and absolutely sugar-free.

Here's a link to making Ketchup and BBQ sauce:

Low Carb Ketchup and BBQ Sauce (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=367687&highlight=behold+ketchup#post367687)

And another to making your own mayonnaise:

Homemade Mayonnaise (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53497)

Karen

Soteria
Thu, Aug-01-02, 12:38
Low Carb Ketchup

18 oz tomato Paste
12 oz water6 oz vinegar
5 pkts splenda
1 tsp onion powder
1 tbl salt

Mix all well.

LC BBQ SAUCE

24 carbs total (makes 32oz)

32 oz tomato sauce
6 pkts splenda
4 tbl vinegar
2 tbl chili powder
2 tbl paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
4 tsp liquid smoke flavoring
3 tbl sugar free maple syrup (optional)
2 tbl dehydrated onion flakes

Bring all to a slow simmer in a small sauce pan and reduce by about a third if you want to use it as a brush-on sauce.

softh2o
Mon, Aug-05-02, 22:52
I actually make my own mayo. Here's the link for a good version of homemade, sugar-free mayo.

http://www.allrecipes.com/cb/sbs/mayo/default.asp

You can jazz it up or just make it plain. I've used olive oil, safflower oil - any oil. The type of oil changes the flavor just a bit, so experiment.

Makes 1 cup

1 egg yolk
1 C light olive oil
1 lemon (juiced - you'll need 1-2 Tbsp for this recipe)
Salt & Pepper
water (maybe)

Mix egg yolk, lemon juice and S&P (to taste) in bowl or blender or food processor. Whisk or blend until the mixture is light yellow. SLOWLY add oil one drop at a time. If you add it too fast, the mixture will not bind and it will be yucky. The more oil you add, you'll see it turning magically into a mayo-looking mixture. You'll never want more than a thin stream of oil being added at one time. In the blender, it usually takes me about 5 minutes to make mayo. You can add water a little at a time if you want the mayo a little thinner consistency.

That's it. This generally doesn't sit in my fridge for more than a week before it's gone. :)

Hope this helps.