PDA

View Full Version : Hypothyroid/LC and hair loss

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jst2c10agn
Tue, Jul-30-02, 11:04
Anyone experiencing increased hair loss?

Quilter
Wed, Jul-31-02, 13:30
I can't really say I'm losing hair but it doesn't seem to grow much anymore. I wear it short and used to have to have it cut every 4-5 weeks. Now I can go 2-3 months and it still looks good. Weird!

khala
Wed, Jul-31-02, 23:27
Hi,

I first noticed that I was experiencing hair loss prior to being diagnosed with hypothyroidism.

On the thyroid website, they recommend taking large doses of Evening Primrose Oil. I have tried that with no success. I also tried the coconut oil. That seems to help increase body temperature, and though it was not listed as one of the benefits, my arthritis has disappeared since I have been taking it.

I started taking an amino acid complex at the beginning of May, and that seems to have stimulated hair regrowth. I now have a lot of hair regrowth that is between 1/2 inch and an inch long, and my head is very itchy most of the time, which I think is a sign of hair regrowing, although I don't know. The other thing is that I still seem to be losing the old hairs even though I am getting new ones. Anyway, if you want I will keep you posted on how this progresses.

Today, I got the results of my TSH test, that I had on Thursday, and my TSH reading went from 2.00 to .35 since I have been taking the amino acids, so that is quite a change.

I had all my vitals checked a month before I started the amino acids, so I should be able to determine at my next physical whether or not it is worthwhile to continue taking them.