PDA

View Full Version : Hi from a newbie

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lperez
Sat, Jul-27-02, 18:59
Hi all:

In my websurfing, I came across this forum and have been reading some of the threads. I started TSP several weeks ago after reading about it in Women's World magazine. I usually take a pass at all of those "miracle diets" because I knew they wouldn't work, but this one interested me because it made sense. (Also, if Jenny Jones tried it, it MUST be good. :daze: )

I went to the book store and purchased the book as well as one of the cookbooks. I liked the idea that I could eat until I felt full as long as I made good choices. I'm 43 years old and probably perimenopausal. I was hitting 300 lbs for the first time in my life and I was gaining weight so easily that it scared me. I felt diabetes knocking at my back.

I started the plan and my food cravings have now dropped by 95%. I am exercising and I already feel like I have added years to my life. I didn't believe that there was a panacea, but this is pretty close.

I'm looking forward to talking with you all. My next step is to begin to examine my supplements more thoroughly. I am currently taking a multi-vitamin, a vit C, and a vit E daily. I know I need to start taking a calcium supplement. What else?

Lisa P

razzle
Sat, Jul-27-02, 19:27
welcome to the forum! We're getting a lot of TSP people lately, which is great news. :) I love her focus on health rather than cosmetic weight loss, her promise of slow and non-miraculous results--so self-loving and realistic!

Have you ever tried entering your food in fitday.com? I don't recommend (agreeing with Dr S here!) that people become fixated on the numbers, but if you do it for just three days, fitday will add up all your nutrients and compare them to the US RDAs. You can see what you're missing. (I am low only on Vitamin D--which we can make ourselves--calcium, and magenium) Now...there's a debate about how much supplementation above and beyond the RDA is necessary. I've tried everything, it seems (including some darned expensive supplements) and saw no miracle results from any of them (in weight loss or feeling good/bad), so I just take a multi vitamin-mineral, extra B whenever I fall off the sugar-abstinance bandwagon, a calcium-magnesium at night, and 5-HTP twice a day. Personally, I think that chromium and CoQ10 are major wastes of money. Others' opinions will vary here, including among the moderators/mentors/administrators. :)

I'm glad you feel so much better. Isn't it nice not to be enslaved to the sugar and flour?

Glad to have you as a new member of the forum. Check out Lisaf's journal--she's our real expert TSP mentor!

lisaf
Sun, Jul-28-02, 08:44
LOL...thanks Raz...given that I only kinda follow her plan! Between you, me and Debpenny and all of the other awesome SPers we have, I think we've got all the bases covered!!!

Lisa - welcome to the forum! I wasn't aware that the plan had been profiled in Woman's World or that Jenny Jones had tried it! It might explain the recent jump in numbers here!

Lisa

ruby2z
Sun, Jul-28-02, 11:46
Yeah, that is how I heard about TSP. I read the article in Woman's World and Jenny Jones had shared her story about wanting to just "feel better." Not so much about losing weight, but she lost 2-3 sizes over a summer (By the way, Suzanne Summers recommended this eating plan to Jenny Jones). Anyway, I had recently quit smoking and drinking caffeine, so TSP really interested me too because it was not all about weight, but being healthy and feeling better. I was so worried about gaining weight since quitting smoking and I needed something where I could actually eat. I am enjoying this WOE and have not gained anything. I am a little nervous because I had tried atkins before with no results or even weight gain, but I think it was because of all the stimulants, damaged fats, man-made food, nitrates, etc, I was still consuming. Would love to hear some feedback from some you long-time lc'ers. thanks.
Ruby
PS. One thing I am noticing all ready is that I no longer need 12 hours of sleep...hurrah!!!!