PDA

View Full Version : On Meds. Can LC Induce "Monthly"??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ICanDoThis
Tue, Jul-23-02, 23:35
Hello all! :wave:

I read in one of these PCOS posts, someone saying that LC could induce regular periods. Anyone have this happen? I had my MC end on 8th. Started LC on 15th and MC started up on the 20th... I'm taking Glucophage (Metformin) 2X a day 500mg, regularly.

I was getting worried that the MC starting up again was a bad thing, but maybe it is actually a good thing because the LC-ing is helping??

Anyone have thoughts on this?? :q:

ozzyturn
Wed, Jul-24-02, 01:50
Hi,

I am hoping that this is the case. I sound very similar to you, also on Metformin. I had the same thing happen to me. I started Atkins 2 1/2 weeks ago and I am now counting the days, hoping for some regularity!

I have heard that it works, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for you as well as myself!!

Sam :spin:

ICanDoThis
Wed, Jul-24-02, 10:14
Hello Sam,

Thanks for the note. My MC stopped this morning and doesn't seem to be coming back. That was a normal length of a MC. Dare I dream that it was a regular one? I guess I won't know until I go a month and start another one, then I will know for sure. I haven't had a regular MC in probably 14 years unless I was on BC for some reason or another. I hope this LC is going to make a difference...

I'm crossing my fingers for you too! :yay:

Talon
Wed, Jul-24-02, 10:39
There have been many women on these forums that have said that they started having periods after years of not having many if at all. I am currently on BC, but my TOM has been heavier and I've had a little spotting in between. But from what I have read here and other places, is that it is normal, and it may last for a few months - until our hormanes get back to "normal".

ICanDoThis
Wed, Jul-24-02, 10:48
Talon,

Well, anything is better than 10 weeks of period! haha

Thanks for your imput. I am hoping this means the start of regular-ness. Would be very nice for a change. I wonder what causes it to go normal? The shock of change to the system? More proteins/less carbs? Just curious...

P.S. TALON, I like your Mini-goal. I am going to add one of my own to my sig. Makes it seem more attainable to try to reach the half way point. :roll:

Talon
Wed, Jul-24-02, 12:41
I know someone will correct me if I am wrong, but from what I haver heard, it has something to do with either our insulin (which is a hormone) levels stablizing and/or hormones "trapped" in our fat, and when we lose the fat - hormones get released.

Frankly the first one makes more sense to me, but when have our bodies ever made total sense? :)

I like the mini-goal too, with a total of 102 pounds as my current loss goal, I felt I needed smaller goals to make to keep the spirits up. 199 was the bigest goal for me - seeing a 1 on the first number - it was a big thrill! For now my next mini-goal will always be the 1?9 number of the next "set" of numbers.

Akiwican
Wed, Jul-24-02, 12:54
I have never had regular periods BUT after starting this WOL it has happened :hyper: The first month of LCing I got a mid cycle period {not uncommon} and from May 1st it has been right on :thup: every month. This still amazes me and just confirms how great this WOE truly is!

I am not on any meds. Recently got tested for PCOS {I have most of the symptoms} but did not have it. Now waiting for results to numerous blood tests for IR, thyroid, hormone imbalance etc... but maybe this WOE will correct alot of my problems without meds

:wave: Akiwican

Danyele
Wed, Jul-24-02, 14:58
hi,

I have PCOS and i'm hypothyroid. I started low carbing at the beginning of June and for June and July I had my cycles right on time!!! I used to go sometimes a year without it but this is the first time i have ever had it normal!!! I just started Diane 35 3 days ago so i'm waiting to see some results from that too. Anyways, good luck

Danyele

missbetsy
Sat, Jul-27-02, 15:14
There is a lot of hope for getting your TOM regularly from my point of view. I have PCOS (diagnosed with hormone tests). I take Metformin (Glucophage) and Yasmin. I started this WOL and within a month I ovulated for the first time in maybe eight years. I have never been so happy to find (well...you know) mid-month. My husband and I were ecstatic (even though we are not trying to get pregnant). We were just so happy that there is hope that my body can make a recovery. So this way of life can bring tremendous benefits aside from weight loss. And since PCOS as been limked directly with insulin resistance, this WOL addresses the problem directly. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Happy LCing!

Betsy :cool:

makalyn
Fri, Aug-09-02, 15:26
I too have PCOS, I was dx 3 years ago. I had amenorrhea no periods for months at a time. I got pregnant had a baby 4 months ago. I started LC on July 15, started a period on the 17th and I've been on it every since. I've had a hard time loosing weight, I also had a depo shot 4 months ago, I know this can have an effect on weight loss. I'm going to try and hang in their for another month but I hate to think of another full month of bleeding. Has anyone else had this problem? I hope everything levels out.

Terra

paige17257
Mon, Aug-12-02, 04:27
hi
my sister in law bleed all the time, when she first when on the Depo shot. after many months it stopped completely, no periods at all. dont know if this is good, but the hormones will help keep away the "male" hormones, with the PCOS. good luck,
paige17257