PDA

View Full Version : smell of urine when diabetic

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mustang
Sun, Jul-21-02, 22:48
I am just wondering about some of the symptons of diabetes.
Does the urine have a different odour? I feel like I have read something about this, but don't know where to look.

If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know
Thanks
Mustang

tofi
Thu, Jul-25-02, 07:35
Yes. The urine of an uncontrolled (and perhaps undiagnosed) diabetic has a "sweetish" odour. This comes from the acetone content - like nail-polish remover without any perfume added. It is very distinctive.

This is NOT the same as the kind of 'nutty' odour your urine can have during LC's benign dietary ketosis.

I was going to post this article in this forum but it may help answer your question if you are worried.

Diabetic Alerts

The symptoms leading up to full-blown diabetes are easy to ignore reports Men's Health magazine (British edition). Here, it adds are the top four silent alarms:

You feel sleepy right after a meal. "If your body gets flooded with sugar it can't process it'll stage a sort of rolling blackout. It will pull energy from other systems to marshall the resources needed to pump out the extra sugar."

Your vision has become a little blurry. "Watch for headaches after reading or doing paperwork."

Your blood pressure is higher than usual. "It's hard to tell which comes first, the diabetes or the high blood pressure." (See also Syndrome X in Protein Power Plan & other books.)

Your breath constantly smells like nail-varnish remover. (= acetone)

mustang
Thu, Jul-25-02, 08:12
Thanks Barb

Mustang