PDA

View Full Version : still having trouble w/menus

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

carberrys
Fri, Jul-19-02, 16:29
cheese -- protein or fat? nuts--protein or fat. Noticed that the Green Giant peas w/butter sauce were LOADED w/ carbs, and I had not figured that in. Does BBQ grilling translate into "high heat cooking" and thus a no-no (I don't like many vegies but grilling them is one way I DO like them).

wondering whether an appt. w/Dr. S's nutritionist (I live here in SB) might help. Between my likes/dislikes and my husband's I wake up in the night trying to figure out menus!

caverjen
Fri, Jul-19-02, 19:47
cheese = protein
It does contain fat as well. The fat in fresh cheese is healthy according to Dr S, but aged cheeses contain some damaged fats so should only be eaten occasionally.

nuts = protein + carbs
All nuts contain healthy fats, according to Dr. S and just about everything I've read recently. Limit your nut intake based on their carb count. I divide my pistachios, almonds and cashews into 7-1/2 gram carb portions, put them in snack bags and store them in the freezer for handy snacks.

I don't know for sure about BBQ grilling, but I would think as long as you're not charring the veggies it should be ok. I use my George Foreman grill a lot because it's so fast and easy.

Never buy the vegetables that have sauce with them. Read the ingredients on the sauce and you'll understand why! Just slather some butter on them and add a squeeze of lemon - it's better than any of those artificially flavored hydrogenated oil sauces.

I think an appointment with Dr. S's nutritionist would be beneficial for you and your husband. You're lucky to be in Santa Barbara!

Jen