PDA

View Full Version : Heroin, alcohol, sex, salt, sugar

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Ghoti
Mon, Jul-15-02, 20:07
I have decided that all these (and many other debilitating substances) are equally addictive. Perhaps the only difference is legality. I have no problem with Atkins or SP except for sweetness. Whether sugar or a substitute, I find that no matter how much time goes by without, I still suffer cravings for sweet. I have no trouble believing that I'll never outgrow or overpower this craving.

Kristine
Mon, Jul-15-02, 20:57
I think it's important to differentiate between physical cravings and emotional cravings. Physical cravings are easy to beat - just get off the stuff, and your body will soon function normally again without it.

Emotional cravings, though, are tougher to deal with. If you're applying the addiction model to sugar, you have to acknowledge that you're abusing the substance to escape feelings or problems; to numb yourself. What has you so messed up that nothing but sugar will make it go away? Why is it so hard to tell that pouty child in your head, "NO. No sugar."? Why choose to have the sugar when the consequences of not having it would be very good? Conquering those cravings involves finding better ways to deal with stress, etc. It's a process. If you decide ahead of time that it'll be too hard, you will probably fail at it. I think that's a motto: "Whether you think you will succeed or fail, you will be correct."

I guess the other correct aspect of the addiction model for sugar is the fact that you have to be *really fed up* before you kick the habit for good. The benefit of giving it up has to outweigh the temporary instant gratification.

nikkil
Wed, Jan-08-03, 06:32
Don't forget tobacco... :devil:

hockeymom
Sun, Jan-12-03, 13:22
I so agree with you Ghoti, I think I am addicted to most on that list you have there. Perhaps there is a way to put yourself in a mindset that these ared the bad things in life. If you figure it out please let me know.

Good luck on your new WOL