PDA

View Full Version : Lesson Learned (I hope)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Thelma
Thu, Jul-11-02, 05:44
After all, I've taken that class several times now.

I've been back to LC since Mid-May. All my weight went the first week and I've been stuck (floating around between 159 and 164) ever since.
I did Atkins 4 years ago with great success - and regained it all and then some during the next 4 years - while re-starting Atkins maybe 100 times or so. Sometimes it lasted until lunch, sometimes all the way to Friday.

So I'm sure I thoroughly messed up my metabolism and now will have to just stick with it, until my body gets the message. Meanwhile, I was feeling fine, followed the rules (all but some weekend cocktails - but I wasn't adding any forbidden foods) until a couple days ago, when I ran into the jar of peanut butter.

Peanut butter is pretty low in carb - but not if you eat it by the JAR!!! And I did - first I finished the crunchy - my favorite. And then I got out the creamy. I didnt' finish that - I threw the jar in the trash while there were still at least 2 tablespoons left in there.

But I can tell by by that "pumped up" feeling in my stomach, that I've had way too much and could kick myself - oh, and while I was at it, I had a beer, too. Not the Coors Light with it's 5 carbs, one of those home-brewed ones. I rate it at least 15 carbs.

No more peanut butter in my house - it's stronger than I am. Oh well, in a couple days I'll be back to where I was.....

tanaka39
Thu, Jul-11-02, 20:08
I have been away from the site for a long time and it has been really tuff on me. I left the site weighing about 330lbs and now I am weighing a whooping 348lbs :mad: I can't blame no one but myself because I started eating carbs and I just got carried away!!!!!!! I have been feeling so down and out lately because I have been just cutting back for the last couple of days and I gained more weight doing that :help: :help: I finally decided today that I woul start back low carbing on tomorrow and I read the protein power book and it seems like I can handle it better than atkins, so please anyone listening with a heart PRAY FOR ME I NEED HELP :exclm: I am only 5'4 tall and this weight has really taken a toll on my entire body, not to mention I already suffer from pcos. I do have faith and I am determined now after finding out the hard way that this is going to have to be my way of life from tommorrow on if I don't won't to end up in a grave before I make 30 years old..........I'm27 now!

Thelma
Fri, Jul-12-02, 20:04
Hi Tanaka,

Some of your posts sound a bit like me. I did Atkins successfully 4 years ago, rested on my glory. and re-gained all and then some. Then I spent quite some time whining about being fat - all the while stuffing my face with donuts, ice-creme, and all kinds of other "goodies". Until I kept telling myself to either quit whining, or do something about it - and I had to tell myself that line quite a bit before I listened to it.

It took a while, but as of mid-May, I'm back on the program. And if I can do it, so can anyone. Re-read your signature statement - you have the best help you can get. Just call on HIM when it gets tough.

And so what if we've tried before and failed... I don't even remember how many times I quit smoking before I finally quit for good. It takes practise but it can be done. Get the latest version of Atkins' book - or see if maybe onother low-carb plan might work better for you - either way, when you are ready, you will have the strenght to see it through.

Make a choice and choose your health.

Good Luck!

razzle
Sat, Jul-13-02, 09:46
Thelma--good for you for being so sensible about this experience.

It's possible that you're sensitive/allergic to PB. Part of my learning curve with long-term LC has been discovering that certain foods give me horrible symptoms beyond the blood sugar swings and cravings--and food allergies certainly could explain why.

If every time we mess up, we learn something, this it isn't really messing up at all! forgive yourself and move on