PDA

View Full Version : Stuck - Need Suggestions

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

KoftheWest
Wed, Jul-10-02, 14:30
I'm wondering if anyone else gained weight when they started TSP. I've been doing it for a couple of weeks now and have gained a few pounds and about half an inch all around. It's SO frustrating. I'm following her carb recommendations for overweight and highly insulin resistant and sedentary, so I'm only eating about 15 carbs a meal. I'm also type I diabetic, so I've been avoiding the 8 carb snacks as they'd mean extra injections, and my insulin level is already extremely high as it is. Anyway, does anyone have any tips? I'm not sure what to do, and I'm not sure how much protein and fat I should be having, or how much water to drink. Basically, I just need some support :(

Look forward to hearing from you all!

TheBetty
Wed, Jul-10-02, 14:48
the first thing that came to mind was that you may not be eating enough--period.

Especially when you first start SP, you need to have those 5 meals a day. It's part of the healing process. I know more shots is a pain, understandably. But in order for this plan to work, it may be a necessity.

Perhaps there are others with experience that can add something. But I think you need to follow it exactly for at least the first month or two, then venture out from there if needed. Best of wishes to you! -Betty

polarbabe
Wed, Jul-10-02, 16:01
I second Betty's reply to you. You MUST eat at least five meals a day (I eat every 2 and 1/2 hours or so.) in order to KEEP your insulin from spiking.
Remember, Dr. Schwarzbein specializes in helping diabetics. Be sure to feed your body, and since you are overweight (like most of us), you should get moving. Whatever you can handle at first. I have a Callanetics tape, which is deep muscle stretching... it is nearly impossible to do it like she does on the tape at first, but don't give up... you have to train your body to respond to the new
information you're putting in. Try this, or just start walking until you are uncomfortable.
Do not believe the "You don't have to hurt to get fit" people. It is literally, "NO PAIN, NO GAIN" ~ I had to learn this the hard way; after trying every fad diet invented, I discovered that you simply HAVE to do it the old fashioned way.
Take heart. Look at my stats. I started at 197 lbs. on May 27, and I am 177 now. This is with the TOM coming in a couple of days, so it's likely to be even more. My results aren't typical... I have been in the gym first thing in the morning, six days a week from my start date. I do upper body, cardio, lower body, cardio, upper, cardio, lower... you get the idea.
Give it a chance, but work with it. We are here if you need us. Take care.

lisaf
Wed, Jul-10-02, 16:08
Hi K!

Okay --

I suggest you start using fitday.com to track what you are eating...that way you can make sure you are getting at least 10-12 times your body weight in calories. You'll have to learn to ignore the carb counts in the veggies though!

Second - drink as much water as you can handle...aim to surpass those 8 8oz glasses a day...remember that herbal teas count too.

If you don't want to add carbs into your snacks then don't! Have a high protein snack...eggs, cheeses, nitrite free lunch meats, a small salad. I used to like making up a "smorgasborg" plate of brie, pickles, olives and baby carrots.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Lisa