PDA

View Full Version : What plan are you Hypos on that you ARE losing weight on?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

SlimShAdY
Mon, Jul-08-02, 17:52
:wave: Hey I'm just wondering what plan everyone who is hypo and losing (even if slowly) IS losing weight on?

Ugh I'm just getting really frustrated with my thyroid and Atkins isn't working for nothing. I even exercise alot daily. So I'm just wondering what plan you guys are on that is working the best. First I hear Atkins, now I'm hearing a few people say "ZONE" is the best.. blablabla. It gets more and more confusing everytime I read something new.

I just read on another website that if your metabolicaly resistant, you should do lowcarb/lowfat!! (I'll post it when I find it) Which I found amusing because I'm always being told to add more fat!! And its funny because the first time I ever did a legal induction, I did lowfat because I was scared to gain fat.. I lost 12lbs..

Even though that was the first time, and supposedly you don't lose as much the 2nd and 3rd times..ect When I started adding FAT like butter and oil to everything.. I gained like 5lbs..on induction.. So yanno.. Its weird.

My doctor sucks, my levels are normal. Thats it. I don't get that crap at all because I admit I feel fine.. (uh I think) but whats a normal level for one person dosen't mean its normal for another.. Duh. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I want another dr, but I *STILL* can't get medical coverage. Keep getting denied. So thats not an option for me. Ughhh. Now I'm babbling, sorry lol but take my poll please!

Quilter
Wed, Jul-10-02, 08:38
No matter what you eat, CALORIES DO COUNT...eat too much of anything and you will gain. The trick is to find your level for losing. You should not be trying to lose more than 1-2 pounds AVERAGE per week. I say average because if you keep track for several weeks you will see a pattern of weight loss emerge. I lose 3-4 pounds the first week, 1 pound the second, 0-1 the third and nothing the fourth and fifth and then it starts over. Everyone's body is different. The more you exercise, the more you need to eat. I have about 1600 calories per day and walk 30 minutes. I use 2% cheeses, lean cuts of meat, egg whites more often than whole eggs, 2% milk, olive oil. Your best friend can be your food diary to help you get in touch with how much and what you are really eating and help you find where you'll lose. Hope this helps.

harpseal
Mon, Jul-29-02, 20:05
Hi, I'm new and have hypo, PCOS, and I'm insulin resistant. You may want to be tested for insulin resistance if you're not seeing results. I wasn't seeing results and got tested and wala. The CAD diet is really working for me because of the insulin resistance. My old doctor never would listen when I said I didn't feel very well even though my levels were "normal" now I have a Dr. that listens and says he may up my meds a little any way so I can lose weight better. Sorry to hear you can't get Health Care!! That's a real bummer. Good Luck on whichever plan you choose. :roll:

Sandylee
Sat, Aug-31-02, 19:46
Hi, I am on Atkins, and I have lost 11 pounds in 2 months. I'm satisfied with that, and my Endocrinologist says it is okay for me to stay on it. I am hypothyroid, and I take Levoxyl and Cytomel.

SlimShAdY
Sun, Sep-01-02, 10:43
Originally posted by harpseal
Hi, I'm new and have hypo, PCOS, and I'm insulin resistant. You may want to be tested for insulin resistance if you're not seeing results. I wasn't seeing results and got tested and wala. The CAD diet is really working for me because of the insulin resistance. My old doctor never would listen when I said I didn't feel very well even though my levels were "normal" now I have a Dr. that listens and says he may up my meds a little any way so I can lose weight better. Sorry to hear you can't get Health Care!! That's a real bummer. Good Luck on whichever plan you choose. :roll:

Hey thanks for the replies everyone =)

Is being tested the only way to find out if you're insulin resistant? Because I think I am since I can't lose weight.. But then on the other hand, I don't think I am since I *can* eat excessive carbs and not gain weight.. I've found that fat makes me gain more weight then excessive carbs.. So eck. :confused: :confused: :confused:

SlimShAdY
Sun, Sep-01-02, 10:49
Originally posted by Sandylee
Hi, I am on Atkins, and I have lost 11 pounds in 2 months. I'm satisfied with that, and my Endocrinologist says it is okay for me to stay on it. I am hypothyroid, and I take Levoxyl and Cytomel.

Congrats on losing that much so quickly :)

I was on Levoxyly once for a short time and I felt really dizzy..I also got really bloated and gained 12lbs in a week. Thats when I quit it lol Although I'm still dizzy now. =/

I don't remember if I was on Cytomel or not. I've heard they work better combined tho because I gues its the t3 and T4 or something like that..lol And synthroid only has one of them.. Hmm. maybe I didn't give it enough time when I was on it or something.. :o :confused:

Sandylee
Sun, Sep-01-02, 10:55
SlimShady, what medication are you on now? You are right about Cytomel being T3. I learned about it by reading a lot on the tyhroid.about.com website. Also, Mary Shoman, who moderates that site, responded to my personal email questions.

The Levoxyl that I take is T4 - the generic name is Levothyroxine. But Synthroid, Levoxyl, and a few others are all Levothyroxine; pure T4. The generally accepted idea in conventional medicine is that if you take T4, the body will manufacture its own T3. However, in some of us, our T3 levels may look okay on blood tests, but we still feel awful. My doctor was willing to experiment with giving me Cytomel. I have been on it for a year, and it has made a world of difference in how I feel.
Best of luck to you

SlimShAdY
Sun, Sep-01-02, 11:06
I've been on synthroid for like a year and half now. I still have a hypo symptoms though, but my doctor says my "levels are perfectly normal, as if I had a real thyroid" (mine was removed) And because of that, she won't even let me try anything else. :rolleyes:

I wanted to go on armour because of it being natural and the T3... But there aren't too many doctors around my area that prescribe it. But maybe now I should just try and find a doctor that would atleast prescribe that for the T3 instead.. :confused: The 12lbs I gained though the first meds they put me on scared me though lol Atleast I don't gain on synthroid..but still. :(

And I've heard of her on the about.com site. I read alot of things on it, but I never really went to the message board because I don't like the layout. Its confusing lol.. I gotta try it though.

Sandylee
Sun, Sep-01-02, 21:38
These Endocrinologists can be very very conservative!!! None of 'em like Armour. My doc was willing to try Thyrolar if I wanted it; it is like synthetic Armour, a combination of T3 and T4. I had asked him originally for that. He thought Cytomel + Synthroid or Levoxyl would be better because you can adjust the combination. It's really important to get a doctor you feel comfortable with. It can be such a pain!!! Good luck :)

p.s. I was hyperactive when I was a child then had radioactive iodine when I was in my 20's, which nuked my thyroid completely.

SlimShAdY
Mon, Sep-02-02, 20:33
Originally posted by Sandylee
These Endocrinologists can be very very conservative!!! None of 'em like Armour. My doc was willing to try Thyrolar if I wanted it; it is like synthetic Armour, a combination of T3 and T4. I had asked him originally for that. He thought Cytomel + Synthroid or Levoxyl would be better because you can adjust the combination. It's really important to get a doctor you feel comfortable with. It can be such a pain!!! Good luck :)

p.s. I was hyperactive when I was a child then had radioactive iodine when I was in my 20's, which nuked my thyroid completely.

Iknow!! What the hell is their problem with armour! I've heard alot more people satisified with armour than synthroid. It makes no sense! I don't even have an Endo anymore. My regular family doctor has been handling everything.

Thanks for the info. That makes sense how you can adjust the combo and all. Maybe whatever I was on at first wasn't the right dosage and thats why I was dizzy and gained 12lbs. My doctor now mentioned that "no doctors here would change your meds because your levels are so normal" So with that exact comment, I'm scared to even mention Cytomel. I realllly don't like this lady. lol She dosen't take *Anything* I say seriously. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I just hope finding a new doctor dosen't take another year.

If anything, I'll go back to my old Endo, I hated him too, but atleast he was more apt to listening.

Thanks again. :roll:

furmom
Tue, Oct-22-02, 13:18
I am just reading this. Why don't you post your results including the lab ranges? Are you on the high or low side of normal? Have you had your adrenals tested?

Also, I guess I am a little confused. Did you have thyroid cancer? Why was your thyroid removed?

Thanks, Donna

ps. about.com really does have a great website about all of this.

rosarugosa
Wed, Oct-23-02, 14:53
I am a thyroid patient and know how confusing it can be trying to figure it all out! Theoretically the Drs. should do that for us -- but not all are knowlegeable about total treatment. I agree with the posters that mentioned about.com as a tremendous help in understanding. On about.com they have a info page and message board where others post Dr.s they have found helpful or to avoid in your location. Also at http://www.armourthyroid.com/ has a similar site for a dr. search

I have found when I mention Armour that the family physicians treated me as though I had 3 heads! But I have read so many instances of it helping many. I finally found an endo that knows about it and considers it & also is finally testing for T3,t4 and antibodies. I empathize with you as it can take a long time to find someone who will test for more than TSH levels , but it is vital.

I have lost around 25 lbs. over the last 2 years via first Suzanne Somers and now *mainly* The Schwarzbein Principle"(I am not perfect!) which I would describe as 'controlled carb plans'. When I tried the strict induction part of Atkins I found my hypo symptoms worsening (especially constipation ,hair loss, & fatigue)and only lost 5 lbs. and gained it back while remaining strict, so I figured that was not working for me and tried the others. I discovered *I must consume a moderate amount of healthy carbs to lose * -- note I said *moderate* amount as the above mentioned programs encourage! I also find I *must* exercise consistenly, about 20-30min. 3-5xs wkly. walking at a hearty pace and 2-3xs about 15 min wkly. weight resistance ( I think this is especially important--have you seen Oprah lately?--I think she attributes her new look to weight training) http://www.jorgecruise.com/ can be helpful in a gradual start this way.

Another tool I have found useful is http://www.fitday.com/ for seeing the proportions of my daily diet.

A pedometer can be a helpful , relative inexpensive aid to observing the amount of cardio exercise one is obtaining and seeing if you can 'kick it up'

My conclusion is that one can be hypo and lose gradually, but it takes a lot of effort and a Dr. that knows his/her business , working toward treating thyroid disease.

SlimShAdY
Sun, Dec-01-02, 10:14
Ya thanks people, but I wrote this in July and my thyroid is normal now lol..and I can't edit that part out so.... :o

darcijj
Sun, Dec-01-02, 10:30
Hi Slimshady,

I could not find a doc to help me out until I went to see a holistic physician... you need to find one that is a medical doc, not just a herbalogist... they are great, I did a search on google.com and typed in Holistic physican and the area I live in.. the one I go to now said to me on my first visit - "I treat the patient, not the test results"... my tests always came back normal.. but we adjusted my meds based on how I felt.. and both holistic physicians I have seen prescribed armour thyroid meds... I pay out of pocket for this doctor..but to me its worth it.. I wont go back to a conventional one..

And this doc is the one who told me I needed to be on a low carb diet to lose weight.... that was back in February of last year. I have lost 26 pounds so far... sometimes it has been very very slow... I stall alot.. just coming off a 2 month one now.. it can be very frustrating not seeing the scale move... at first I ate the recommended amount of calories and lost weight slowly... then I stalled... then one week I forgot to eat my snacks and was not eating as much... and I lost a pound each week after that... so for me ... I only eat when I am hungry.. and then til I am full ... I am sure I am not getting the 10x calories rule.. but it seems to work for me... I also cut back on the work outs... the more I worked out did not make a difference.. shorter less frequent work outs seem to be working better for me... did you take your measurements? I noticed I lost inches sometimes even when the scale did not move.

I know I will stall and it will be a long one.. I just think of it as my body taking a break and will lose weight again when its ready... I keep the faith.. that it has to come off sooner or later... and I never ever think about ditching this way of life... it is hard to keep the faith sometimes but I look back on even the smallest improvement and think I will get there.. just gonna take me longer than everyone else.

I think the stalls are longer and more frequent for us.. it takes a while for our bodies to adjust to what we are doing... just pay attention to what you are eating and doing.. and if you lose a pound that week... try to think of what you did differently.. I do not work out at the same times anymore.. I vary what I do so It is not so predictable.. the key is to pay attention to what your body is saying....

Hang in there... I was like you in the begining and thought I was never gonna lose weight.. and now I have to go shopping and buy new clothes!!! :thup:

wannabefit
Sat, Jan-11-03, 18:28
Hi All,

I was on the Atkins thread but was shunned since I only made it 5 days on the induction and quit. I could not stand even the thought of another egg or piece of cheese or meat. It was too harsh for me, but I certainly do believe low carbing is the way to go.

I am newly diagnosed with hypothyroidism (have had it for years but just now got a doc who is an endo) and he put me on Armour thyroid last August starting me out at 30mg a day, when my morning temperatures were 95 degrees. He has upped my dose consistently and I am now up to 210mg a day with a temp of 97 degrees. He says it seems as though my thyroid is practically not working at all and he may need to put me up to the full dose of 300mg for a while. Which is fine with me, but I CAN"T LOSE WEIGHT still. He said the pounds would just fly off when my thyroid was working right - not! I am still 20 to 30 pounds overweight (one former doctor said I was not fat, just not comfortable in my skin - haha). No matter what I do this weight will not come off. I was even on Meridia for a year by a previous doctor, and the 15 pounds I lost from that came all back as soon as I was yanked off of it.

So I am glad to find this empathatic site and hope we all find some answers. I will look up those websites you all suggested.

Thank you so much!

Texastwin
Thu, Jan-16-03, 16:48
wannabefit

check you glucose...many hypos are insulin resistant (i am)

new american diabetes assn guidelines say "pre-diabetes" (insulin resistance) is a fasting glucose of 110-125. they also list thyroid meds as one of the meds that will elevate glucose...so does caffeine.

if yours is above 125, they should do a Glucose Tolerance Test to see how you respond (i am still making insulin) and the test to see what your 3 month average is. if the result of the 3 mo average is above 6% but below 7%, you are insulin resistant

sorry for lower case & choppy sentances...rt arm is broken...typing w/left one

mbschlgr
Fri, Jan-17-03, 07:46
I am on 175mcg of Synthroid. Just had my bloodwork done and my TSH bounced way back to 2.6 from .8 !!! We are trying to keep my thyroid supressed as .5 due to it being enlarged and a couple of nodules. Yes, those reading do appear to be within the normal range but not for me. supression means that you don't want your pituitary to call for any hormone from your thyroid so your thyroid can rest. Anyway it is a bit off topic right now... I am basically on my own plan of LC I have to keep the calorie count way down along with NO carbs and then I lose and I lose fast... I have a very low metabolism naturally and do not need the calories that most need. As they say, no one diet fits all.

Lichen
Fri, Jun-13-03, 20:35
I am on Phase Two of the South Beach Diet. It has worked for me where Atkins did not. I believe Atkins works but it was not right for me.

~ Lichen

Chloë Mae
Mon, Jun-16-03, 21:24
Hello Lichen,

Am interested in the South Beach Diet. Why did you choose it over Atkins? How is it working for you?

Have lost 20 lbs. on Atkins since April 7.

Feel like I need a change because the weight is not coming off anymore.

If you would like, send me a PM with your email addy and we can talk about it. I can't send you a PM til you have 25 posts.

CASD
Sat, Jul-19-03, 10:24
Atkins...lost 31 lbs as of this morning since june 1st(seriously) I did start around May 5th but I cheated alot and hadn't read Atkins book
I take .300 snythroid last test .54 I like staying as close to 0 as possible without going hyper

JSTPEACHI
Fri, Aug-08-03, 06:43
Hi, I'm insulin resistan with Hypothyroidism. Itried for 20 years to loose weight, unsuccesfully. I am on the Syndrme X diet-low carb, low fat(except for olive oil) lo calories very little fruit, very little dairy. I lost 17 lbs and now I am on a stall for 2 weeks-how depressing!!!is this normal??? Anyway I've started this proces and for the first time in my life I WILL PREVAIL!

anticarb12
Sun, Aug-10-03, 11:17
I'm doing Atkins and have been for over a year now. In the first 4 months I lost about 30 pounds. I've been stuck at 190 since around the begining of this year. I'm going by body fat though. I want 15% body fat, I can't seem to get below 19%! I work out a least 60 -90 minutes a day and have been since Juen of '02. Serious working out people I don't rest from them monment I walk in the gym, HR is at 155 plus the whole time. Both a combination of resistance training (wiegths) and cardio. I'm HYPO, my last TSH and T4 in Jan were 2.82 (tsh) and 1.5 (t4). I'm tired all the time, it's my motivation that keeps me going. I know alot of you are probably saying "you don't have a problem you've lost 50 pounds!" You're right, I have and despite what in one would tell me about what meds or levels their taking or how their feeling I say on thing to all of you. MIND-OVER-MATTER! I know my levels are screwed up because I'm tired, but I've been so motivated, and worked so hard over the last year I lost the 50 pounds anyway! If I add carbs, if I don't work out 6 days a week and bust may ass I will gain. I'm just now getting my levels looked at becuse it's making my goal of 15% body fat very hard to achive if not impossilbe despite my motivation. Motivation and drive will allow your body to overcome many obsticals, don't get down on yourselves, quit making excusese "Oh it's my thyroid thats why I can't loose weight." It may slow your progress, but it won' stop you if your motivated! Just hang in there you can do it! Let's take Lance Armstrong as example:
Lance is a 5 time in a row Tour De'Fance Champion!
About 5 or so years ago he was told he had cancer and was going to die. He told his doctor NO! No! I'm not! Your wrong! His cancer went into full remision and he's on a record pace to becoming the all time back to back Tour De'France Champion! How? MIND-OVER-MATTER! So stop sitting around reading this and making excuses and getup and go workout! Tell you body, tell your damn thyroid: NO! No you don't! You CAN NOT stop me! I will loose weight! I will reach my goal! And you will not get in the way! Make sure you're as optimzed with your levels as you can be, so you progress will go faster. However remember nothing can stop your body and minds will and determination!
I've been on the same thyroid dose for the last 2 years, I know it's not optimized becuse of being tired despite being very athletic. My resting pulse is under 60 beats a minute. Anyone know anyone that's tired all the time but runs 4-5 miles a day!? Then wieght lifts while doing jumping jacks in between his sets? Anyone? Motivation. Mind-over-matter. My temp is never above 97%, many belive these are also indicators that your thyroid is screwed up and you Hypo. I take .200 of Synthroid every day. Despite not being 100 percent I still lost the majority of my weight. How? You know how..Mind-Over-Matter! Motivation! I'm only getting changed now because I want the other 10 pounds of damn fat off as soon as possible. I can do it, so can you! Maybe you can't walk more than a block a day. So, walk that block today and tomorrow walk that block and couple of more steps. Soon you'll walk 2 blocks then 3 then 4 and 5. Before you know it you'll be racing along, healthy and loosing weight. Running 4-5 miles a day saying to yourself I'm gunna meet my goal and get these last 10 pounds off!

"Don't give up, don't ever give up!"

- Jimmy V

- Mike

anticarb12
Sun, Aug-10-03, 11:18
Please excuse my typo's I was in a hurry.

tulips
Tue, Aug-12-03, 06:02
I, too, felt that same way the first week wannabefit..I thought if I looked at another egg I'd die!!!!! My DH encouraged me to hold out and give it a try and lo and behold...I look FORWARD to my eggs now...I think the nausea was just my body trying to adjust...I felt really awful during induction and didn't start to feel "decent" until my third week...my daughter experienced the same thing....it may be just a case of holding out a couple of weeks for you.....
I am hypothyroid and could not lose on W.W. or Meridia but so far I am able to on Atkins...(it was my Dr. that suggested it)

Hope you find success soon...

tulips

alicia50
Mon, Sep-15-03, 22:03
I just got introduced to the plan which is low carb by Herbalife
( an international herbal nutrition company ) and in the two weeks I
have lost 7lbs of fat, and I have never felt so energetic since my
teens.

alicia

CASD
Mon, Sep-15-03, 22:08
Hi everyone:)
I've lost a total of 38lbs as of this morning....and I've cheat alot the last 3 weeks... but no more until I reach my desired weight of 170 I hit 179 this morning

Chris

fluffybear
Tue, Jan-06-04, 16:56
I am going by a book called Low Carb Dieting for Dummies and have lost 8 lb. in one month. It is essentially moderated carbs and low fat. I get heck from the Atkins dieters every time I mention it is low fat. But I have tried to do Atkins twice and got so constipated I got sick. :eek: There is no induction and I can have all the fruit and veggies I want as well as BREAD! But starchy fruit, veggies and bread products are limited to 5 small portions a day. I can also have nuts and peanut butter. No sugar or white flour though. So I have to use whole wheat bread and pasta and brown rice. Dr. Phil's food plan is essentially the same. I also can't have butter, so I use all fruit spread on toast and I use that butter buds or a butter spray. I can even have a potato once in awhile.:)

happygrrl
Tue, Jan-20-04, 23:21
I am on Atkins Induction and I have been on it 10 weeks and 2 days and I have lost 35 pounds...I have hypothyroidism...My meds are still being switched around here and there trying to get it at a normal range...I also have PCOS and I am still losing about 3.5 pounds per week...And I would say thats great being I was gaining over a pound a month for the 2 years before I started this WOL.

mollymom
Thu, Jan-22-04, 19:10
I had problems with my thyroid in university, and was given a radioactive iodine uptake test and send to an endocrinologist. I vaguely (this was 27 years ago) remember taking meds for about six weeks, then being discontinued? Someone posted here that she had been hyperactive as a child then had radioactive iodine in her teens..man sounds like me.

Anyhow, I have been struggling with my doc for years..and don't tell me to get another one, there aren't any taking patients in my town (I live in small city Ontario..go figger). I have tried to tell him that when I get a 99F temp, that for me is like over a hundred for others as my temp is always around 97.2F My feet and hands are constantly freezing, mys kin is dry and I am always always tired, no matter how much I sleep or how well I eat. Every time I see him he tells me to cut out the fast food and lose weight. WELL I don't eat fast food! I was trying to tell him I was eating 1200 calories a day, practically NO fat and NOT losing anyweight..he looked at me like I was lying!

I have been following Atkins induction almost to the letter...not a speck of bread, noodles, sugar, etc. for nearly four weeks, right on target with fat/carb/protein percentages, drinking my water, taking my supplements. I only had two "cheats" and they were minor. I lost the first week, then stalled. While my mood improved, I feel lousy. I am constipated (finally resorted to metamucil), my legs feel like they can't hold me up etc. I do feel that in many ways I am actually eating better than I was, and I am not gaining but...it is frustrating.

Anyhow, any suggestions as to where I could read more on thyroid etc. and its relation to weight loss/gain? What should I tell my doc. I was going to say I want a thyroid function test and blood glucose testing..does that sound right?

Sorry this sounds a little rambling. BTW what is PCOS?

happygrrl
Thu, Jan-22-04, 22:23
I would defiantly ask the doctor to do a free t3 and free t4 test just to see where your levels are...That may very well be the reason you have a hard time lose weight...I blood glucose test would be fine to take as long as you have been on this WOL for at least 6 weeks...that would be for a acurate result...I would think if it was sugar related you would be losing at a faster rate...But I would defiantly have the thyroid checked out...I don't know of any sites in paticular...I just do searches on yahoo and click on whatever I find...Good Luck

Budogirl
Thu, Jan-29-04, 01:19
Hey SlimShady and all of you,
I read this thread with great interest as I was diagnosed with a screwed up thyroid last year. My doctor said that my levels were within normal so I believed him and went about my business. Except that I felt like doo doo. It seemed to me that I was just this fat depressed person and since there was nothing wrong with me, just suffer. Business as usual, right? Well, I heard about Atkins and thought I would give it a try to lose the 70 pounds l need to lose. My hubby went on it with me -since I do all the cooking he kinda had to-hee hee hee.
No, I'm just kidding. He's been great! He's lost weight and feels great after 3 weeks on the plan. I have'nt lost an ounce. Sooooo....I went back to my doctor and he has me scheduled for some tests. Now here is the BIG question. What the hell do I do? What can I say to make them take me seriously? How do I ask for help? They are just going to tell me that my numbers are normal and that how I feel is immaterial. I just know it.
Now, here's my plan ( I always have a plan) I'll try taking an herbal supplement called Maca root and see if my levels improve from last January. Is that a great plan? Or a bad plan? Has anyone here used it? Are there any other supplements that are considered okay for hypo's? I live in a tiny town in SW British Columbia so I don't have a whole lot of options for finding naturopathic physicians here. The doctors are all overworked like crazy in this part of the county and aany specialist that I see will require a minimum 4 hour drive to the nearest Big City.
I want to THANK all of you who have responded to this thread. I had no idea that my thyroid was the culprit. Bad Thyroid, bad bad Thyroid! I went the the about.com link that one of you posted and I canNOT believe that I have so many of the symptoms. It's scary. But at least I know now what the hell the problem is. That alone makes me feel great. Actually, even though I have'nt lost any weight on Atkins the whole low carb thing has made me feel really good. I have lots more energy, I even feel smarter. LOL. We are eating better than we ever have without all the pop and potatoes and crap. Not that we ate alot of it but...well...there you have it. Okay...in closing....thank you God for letting me see this site and this thread and finding some people who are going thru the same problems as I am. It's nice to know I am not alone and that this is'nt some mysterious ailment that I will have to live with for the rest of my life. It's treatable. I love you guys. Laura

happygrrl
Thu, Jan-29-04, 03:28
Budogirl...here are a couple of supplements I took while I was off thyroid meds and they helped my moods and energy levels...I also have placed some info on each but you will probably want to do a little of your own research...This is just a place to start...Hope it helps

L-Tyrosine
L-Tyrosine is a direct precursor to Thyroxine, a primary thyroid hormone, as well as Adrenaline and Nor-adrenaline. Thyroxine has been found to increase metabolic rate and control growth rate. L-Tyrosine is a necessary amino acid in the production of neurotransmitters including epinephrine, norepinephrine, and dopamine. L-Tyrosine also appears to have a mild stimulatory effect on the central nervous system.

Patients with a Thyroxine deficiency have symptoms including excess weight gain, cold hands and feet, and decreased basal metabolism. L-Tyrosine has been found to assist in optimizing thyroid hormone levels, increased mood, concentration, and productivity.

L-Tyrosine is used to treat conditions including depression or mood disorder, poor coping ability, fatigue, low sex drive, low metabolism, and drug abuse (when combined with Tryptophan). It can also improve endurance under stress and is effective as an appetite suppressant. When taken properly, L-Tyrosine can assist a sluggish thyroid and aid the dieter in losing excess, unwanted pounds.

The suggested dosage for healthy adults ranges from 500 to 1500 mg per day.

Iodine/Kelp
Rich in iodine, Kelp supports the healthy function of a normal metabolism and glandular system and can assist in many weight management programs by supporting a normal rate of fat burning. Due to its high content of minerals, trace minerals, vitamin, and amino acids, Kelp can aid in metabolic and glandular health

Garcinia cambogia fruit extract
Garcinia cambogia, an exotic fruit grown in South India, has been used to impart a distinctive sour flavour to Indian cooking.. It is the source for a revolutionary natural diet ingredient which is currently a rage in America, Japan, Europe and other western countries.

Garcinia cambogia extract is the calcium salt of hydroxy citric acid (HCA), which is obtained from water extract of Garcinia cambogia fruit . It is non-toxic, tasteless, odorless powder and found to be very effective herbal alternate for controlling obesity and cholesterol by inhibiting lipogenesis in our body.

HISTORICAL USES & PROPERTIES OF GARCINIA CAMBOGIA

http://www.indo-world.com/garcinia_cambogia/garcinia_cambogia.jpg
Garcinia Cambogia is a relative new-comer to the ranks of Western herbalism, but has been used for thousands of years in the Orient as a food supplement. It is used as an appetite suppressant and to inhibit the absorption and synthesis of fat, cholesterol and triglycerides. In other words, it is a dietary aid

Garcinia Cambogia METHOD OF ACTION

The active principle in Garcinia Cambogia is (-)-hydroxycitric acid(or HCA). On a dry weight basis, HCA constitutes from
20-30% of the berry. Garcinia Cambogia works in two ways 1. by suppressing appetite
2. by inhibiting lipid synthesis
This latter mechanism is based on the theory that inhibition of lipid biosynthesis or enhance lipid metabolism interfere with mechanisms that produce and maintain obesity.

Commiphora mukul extract (guggul)

http://www.herbmed.org/Herbs/Herb151.htm

These are a couple of thing I know of that were in a supplement I used to take and it helped me alot...My prescribed med have helped me more...But this supplement did help alot with my mood swings and moodiness and my lack of energy. I hope this helps.

CONILUV
Sun, Apr-04-04, 13:22
I am so grateful for this website. So many people
"in the same boat" with thyroid issues and
little or no weight loss no matter what we try.

After begging, my doctor just switched me from Synthroid to Cytomel He would not add the Cytomel to the Synthroid, though. What I figured I could do is just go back and say "Hey, the Cytomel doesn't work as well as the Synthroid. Can I go back to Synthroid?" and then just take the Synthroid dosage I used to take and add some Cytomel to it. Those of you who take both please send me comments.

I lost 7 lbs in the first week I did Atkins in February and have only lost 4 lbs the whole month of April. So I know all about stalls.

jbugg
Thu, Apr-08-04, 09:37
I have had hypothyroidism for at least 7 years now. That was the first time it was tested. I haven't ever taken anything prescribed because I really didn't want to have to take anything for the rest of my life and really wanted to try and fix it naturally. I have literally been starving myself for the last 5 years and although it never got me to lose weight I didn't gain weight too bad. My highest weight was about 25 pounds higher than my ideal weight. I went to see a Naturalpath recently and he gave me something called T-100. It is a vitamin that is supposed to stimulate your thyroid. Anyway I have been on it for about 2 weeks and have already lost 6 pounds. I have more energy and don't feel as tired all of the time. I am on the Atkins diet also but have tried this diet numerous times before with a lot less positive results. I haven't gone back to the doctor to have my numbers checked yet because I want to give it more time but I was diagnosed with tons of nodules in my throat and I could always feel them and they honestly don't feel so annoying anymore. It could be in my head and I won't know for sure until my numbers start to improve but I thought I would share it with you anyway. My number is 8 and my doctor said I am not too bad because the highest "normal" number is 5 and I am not too far off that but I had really bad symptoms so I wanted to do something.

y2valerie
Sun, May-09-04, 19:32
:wave: Hey I'm just wondering what plan everyone who is hypo and losing (even if slowly) IS losing weight on?

Ugh I'm just getting really frustrated with my thyroid and Atkins isn't working for nothing. I even exercise alot daily. So I'm just wondering what plan you guys are on that is working the best. First I hear Atkins, now I'm hearing a few people say "ZONE" is the best.. blablabla. It gets more and more confusing everytime I read something new.

I just read on another website that if your metabolicaly resistant, you should do lowcarb/lowfat!! (I'll post it when I find it) Which I found amusing because I'm always being told to add more fat!! And its funny because the first time I ever did a legal induction, I did lowfat because I was scared to gain fat.. I lost 12lbs..

Even though that was the first time, and supposedly you don't lose as much the 2nd and 3rd times..ect When I started adding FAT like butter and oil to everything.. I gained like 5lbs..on induction.. So yanno.. Its weird.

My doctor sucks, my levels are normal. Thats it. I don't get that crap at all because I admit I feel fine.. (uh I think) but whats a normal level for one person dosen't mean its normal for another.. Duh. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I want another dr, but I *STILL* can't get medical coverage. Keep getting denied. So thats not an option for me. Ughhh. Now I'm babbling, sorry lol but take my poll please!
try using cla hope i can spell this congulated linolic acid type it in yout browser to read up on it.also calcium and magnesium

y2valerie
Sun, May-09-04, 19:41

slim forgot to add this if you read my last reply you have to take kelp, my hubby lost 40lbs just cutting down and taking the vitamins i said im taking them all now will keep u posted,i know when i was just taking my cla i could eat anything within reason and maintain my weight,when i stopped i gained the 20lbs i am now tring to lose

Innamora
Fri, May-21-04, 23:37
I am on Atkins and losing. Before starting Atkins, even on Metformin and my thyroid meds I was gaining 5-10 pounds per month.

cbcb
Wed, Jun-30-04, 23:35
I discovered *I must consume a moderate amount of healthy carbs to lose * -- note I said *moderate* amount as the above mentioned programs encourage!

Hi - may I ask what carb range that generally is for you, and about what calorie level you like to stay at daily? (How about fat percentage daily, or would that be too many questions...) :D

platypusd
Thu, Sep-09-04, 10:34
just introducing myself to the forum. my thyroid was removed when i was 18 because of cancer. since then i have been taking thyroxine (the dose gets tinkered with from time to time but hovers around .15 mg - i think its mgs). anyway, i have only been on atkins a couple of weeks, but it seems to be working (10lbs down - 80 lbs to go). in the past i have only had success with very low calorie diets (under 1000 calories) usually medically supervised. my endocrinologist is supportive of my decision to go on atkins and did the blood work suggested by atkins so we can compare 6 months down the road.