PDA

View Full Version : cad

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Greenstar
Sun, Jul-07-02, 05:11
Hello everybody,

First of all, let me introduce myself. I am a 34 years old French single man living in North of France ( Quite far from you all ! ).

I am new to this board and new to CAD. I have just finished reading both CAD and CALP books and I am ready to start tomorrow. I will start with CAD ( so at least I won't have to start my RM with a salad - not very found of it - so I keep it for lunch ... :blush: ).

Any advice will be welcome as I won't get any support here in France ( Low carb is not popular here and nobody knows who the hellers are ! ). Only CALP was translated in French 2 years ago but the book did not sell at all ...

I do hope this diet will be my last as I am tired of all this excess weight and this everlasting fight.

Thank you for reading me.

Patrick :doah:

Wise1
Mon, Jul-08-02, 11:12
I'm with you, I hope this is my last "diet" ever though I know it will need to be a way of eating for life but I'm feeling more energy already so it's not a diffulcult sacrifice to make.

Good luck and post often to let us know how your doing.

lowco
Mon, Jul-08-02, 18:40
Weight loss is not fast like other diets.

I am truthfully saying i lost most of my weight eating no sugar& flour at rm's......sometimes no starch foods. And whenever i felt like having dessert i would ( at rms), or increasing carbs. So i have tweeked the plan to suit my needs at that time.

Sometimes when you are losing you do not feel like rewarding yourself to much.....cause you know you can have the food later at a lower weight ! i have also tweeked the diet with the new information of the glycemic index. On weekdays i have low glycemic foods and on weekends, i'll have foods like cake etc.

i was over 230 pounds now i am 162-165(average weight this week was 164), so i know how bad it is to want this diet to work.

YOU HAVE TO MAKE IT WORK! i know i cannot live without carbs so cad/calp is the best option.

Greenstar
Tue, Jul-09-02, 05:43
Thank you lowco & wise 1 !

Day 2 and believe it or not 3 lbs are already gone !!!
( not sure I can believe it myself ! ) :daze:

Wise 1, you are right when you say we should see low carbing as a way of eating and not a diet.

Lowco, at the moment ( but it is only day 2 ) the idea of giving up or highly reduce sugar and carbs at my RM is scaring me a little bit. However I could try to do like you, low carb RM on weekdays and more on weekends.

Congratulations for your weight loss to both of you ( give me a little bit of hope ... )

tigerww
Wed, Jul-10-02, 13:21
Bonjour Patrick et Bienvenue!

I hope you have great success with the plan. It has been wonderful for me--lower weight, more energy, lower cholesterol, all in a few weeks.

I found that, for the first two to three weeks, it worked well if I just followed the basic CALP plan without any adjustments. After that I've added options, as well as making minor changes to fit my lifestyle and tastes.

A bientot!

Greenstar
Wed, Jul-10-02, 14:16
Thank you for the welcome Tigerww.

It's only day 3 but nearly 4 lbs off :roll:

The fact that I can have what I want at my RM makes all the difference. Obviously, I know that sooner or later I will have to switch to CALP which is more balanced but I want to go step by step and it is already a miracle for me to be at end of day 3 :)

A bientot j'espere !

lowco
Wed, Jul-10-02, 20:10
congratulations!!!!!!

good job!!!!!

MaltoMeel
Fri, Jul-12-02, 15:08
Congratulations! You are doing great. Isn't is amazing that you can eat well and still lose??? I am with you, I'm sure I will eventually switch to CALP but I am enjoying myself so much!

By the way....your English is fantastic.

Greenstar
Sun, Jul-14-02, 10:29
Thank you very much Jill. Good luck to you too :roll:

purnois
Sun, Jul-14-02, 15:49
This is the first time I have visited this forum. I am currently reading the Heller book and learning a lot. I have also read Atkins and the Schwarzbein books. I have been doing Atkins since February and am losing about a pound a week. The greatest benefit of low carbing for me has been the health benefits. I had chronic indigestion and allergies. Both are under control for the first time since I can remember.

Welcome, and I know you will be happy with your eating plan. Don't feel bad--we ALL feel alone "out there". All of our families think we are trying to kill ourselves!

Purnois

Greenstar
Tue, Jul-16-02, 14:51
Thank you for the welcome Purnois.

And you are right, my family also think that I am mad ...

Congratulations on your weight loss

Wanda L
Mon, Jul-29-02, 10:39
Hello Everyone:

My name is Wanda and I was on the Atkin's plan for 3 weeks and lost about 8 pounds. But like you guys, I know, I can't follow a diet for too long with no carbs like rice, beans, tortillas, potatoes, etc....soooooo, I decided to change to CAD, so I started today 7/30. I read the Book and on the two weeks of introduction there is no mention of Salad before the RM. Can anybody elaborate more on this, please, also, no snaks are permited in between meals, So it is ok to be hungry and not to eat any snak, because in the atkins, I had to eat some protein if I got hungry in between meals, otherwise, I wouldn't loose any weight. Also I did not read the CADL Book, does this diet changes somehow on the CADL Book?

Thanks Guys. :q:

Greenstar
Mon, Jul-29-02, 11:23
Hello Wanda,

With CAD, you have two complementary meals, 1 reward meal and snack is not allowed. Your reward meal can be anything you want ( must be sensible :eek: ).

CALP is also two CM, you can snack ( Hellers say it has to be half the size of a CM ) and your reward meal must be balanced and start with a salad ( then one third of protein, one third of allowed vegetables and one third of carbo - including dessert - ).

voila ! Hope it helps

Wanda L
Mon, Jul-29-02, 12:14
Thanks Patrick for your prompt reply: So, in other words, if you can snak on CALP, then you must start your RM with a salad, 1/3 veggies, 1/3 protein, and 1/3carbs. So it gives you that opportunity but it limits your RM only on 1/3 portions, is this right?

in CAD, you don't snak, but you don't have to have the salad, or the veggies, in your RM. So this is basically the difference?

Also, What about coffee (I drink about 2 cups a day) I fix mine with two tabsp. of Heavy Cream(1g carb per tabsp.) with some expresso (latino) coffee and 2 pack of Equal. Also drinks, I like Diet Caffeine Free Coke and no sugar tea, is this limited?

Thanks Again.

Wanda :wave:

Greenstar
Mon, Jul-29-02, 13:31
Hi Wanda,

Yes the main difference between CAD & CALP is that the RM does not necessary have to be balanced.

To make things clear, if for example with CAD you want to have another piece of apple pie, just have it ( remember everything Has to be eaten within one hour ... ).

With CALP you can also have another piece of this pie but you will have to balance it with another serving of LC vegetables & protein ( the 1/3 thing ... ).

With CAD sweetener is ok but the Hellers say in CALP that it would be better to avoid them. Same thing for the diet drinks ...
( giving up sweeteners is one of the options you can choose with CALP after the first two weeks ).

Check the following link for more info on CAD. Of course it would be better for you if you could get a copy of the book.

http://www.sover.net/~timw/faq19.htm

The cream in your coffee should not be a problem but I am not sure as I am not a coffee drinker.

Also you should be more careful with fats while cading/calping
( not without limits like Atkins )

One last thing ... everything you eat at your CM should not be more than 4 g of carbs per serving.

Voila !