PDA

View Full Version : My fiance has IBS!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

rubysoho
Sat, Jun-29-02, 14:02
After years of doctors saying "there is nothing wrong" a doctor finally told us that my fiance has IBS!

We wanted to lose weight, but everything we tried made his attacks worse! We have FINALLY stumbled upon atkins, and we were amazed to read that this can actually help him in more ways then one! We are planning to start this week!

We ARE a little concerned with the grease from all of the meat, but, we have managed to get arround that even when we weren't low-carbing. (lean meats, ground turkey instead of beef, chicken, NOTHING fried, etc.)

Any other tips from IBS suffers are greatly appreciated.

Karen
Sat, Jun-29-02, 14:59
We ARE a little concerned with the grease from all of the meat,

What is your concern around eating fat?

Karen

rubysoho
Sat, Jun-29-02, 15:12
Meat (especially greasy) makes the IBS worse. I don't think that this SHOULD be a problem, provided that we continue using lean meats. A low-carb low-fat diet.

The doctor said that a low fat diet is key to keeping the IBS at bay.

But, as we are reading more and more about this subject, it seems like carbs may actually be the big culprit! Sugar is a MAJOR aggrivator, and it can sometimes be worse then eating a grease filled meal!

Rosebud
Sat, Jun-29-02, 19:57
Hi Ruby, I know just how you feel!

My SO and I both have IBS. In the past, we both felt our symptoms were worse when we ate fatty foods, especially cream and cheese.
Surprise! We can now eat all the fat we want with NO problems. It was obviously the combination of the fatty stuff with the starchy garbage that caused the problems.

I had always known that my symptoms were worsened by eating too much fibre. Makes it very hard when doctors tell you to eat low fat and lots of fibre. Maybe that works for some people (don't know of any!) but definitely not for us!

My SO only has his pain back on the odd occasions when he has a beer or two.
My only problems have been when we ate coconut (him too) and when I way overdid it with pecans. (I'm talking a LOT of pecans :D 1 or 2 oz cause no problems at all)

Does the doctor who recommended low fat have IBS himself? I'm willing to bet he doesn't or that would not have been his advice.

So Ruby, I would very strongly suggest that you try the Atkins plan as written. Low carbing works much, much better if you follow the plan and that means eating plenty of fat. It may seem scary at first, but please believe me, it's the starchy and sugary carbs that cause the problem.
It is very difficult to take in sufficient calories if you try to do this low fat, and you need 10 to 12 times your weight in calories.

One more thing, I notice you have only read Dr Atkins' cook book. You really need to read the latest edition of Dr Atkins' new Diet revolution.

My very best wishes to you and your fiance.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

rubysoho
Sun, Jun-30-02, 02:01
Funny you should mention it - I nearly finished up the new diet rev. today!

Yes, as we read to each other and talked about the plan, we became increasingly concerned with the high fat diet! After I suggested that maybe the doctor is STILL wrong, and the IBS is due to the carbs and NOT the fat. He was willing to give it a try. After all, every other doctor told him that his problem resided wholy in lactose intollerance - even though he consumed NO lactose! 3 years later we are told it is IBS and he should eat a low fat diet - which STILL hasn't helped!

We are very eager to start now!

A side note - his mother also suffers from IBS and she only increased her fiber intake (she's very petite - some people have all the luck??)- smooth sailing now! But she swears if she misses a fiber biscuit, she's done herself in!

Sounds like Atkins is a god-send!

Too good to be true? I guess I DO have to give up all those carbs. But what a small price to pay.

rubysoho
Sun, Jun-30-02, 02:05
HA! I keep reading your post ove and over - it's like someone FINALLY understands what its like! To think, all this time it's the carbs!!!!

Makes me go batty at the advice of the last doctor - "Eat more breads so you can asorb the fat better."

Isn't that an oxymoron????

somersizer
Sat, Jul-06-02, 02:11
Can't really give you tips because all IBSers are different. I live in the bathroom(sorry so graphic) on most days no matter what I eat! One bite of grilled chicken or a cracker can make me sick. Only tip I can say is make sure you support him. Also try this out it's a great support site www.ibsgroup.org Wonderful people there.

rubysoho
Sat, Jul-06-02, 12:45
Who would of thought, all along it was the carbs!!!

He hasn't has a SINGLE "attack" since we've started atkins, and that was a week ago. Typically he has 5+ attacks a week.

All of the water is definately helping. And we think the fiber pills (Psyhlium husks) are helping too!

WE LOVE THIS DIET!!!

Rosebud
Sat, Jul-06-02, 16:57
Hi Ruby,

That's great to hear that your fiance is doing so well.

My SO had problems yesterday morning - he had been out the night before and reckoned he hadn't had any carbs. But the pain got the better of him and he had to admit that yes, he'd had some potato.
BTW, his pain was greatly eased by a teaspoonful of L-Glutamine powder.

Ruby, how about starting up a journal here? It's a great way of keeping track of your food (if you wish) and generally makes a good place for people to "pop in" and say hullo.

[Somersizer, you might well find that your IBS symptoms disappear or are greatly reduced once you start LCing. ;) ]

:rose:Rosebud:rose: