PDA

View Full Version : Cholesterol

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Vonnovich
Fri, Jun-28-02, 01:06
My weight is down, I'm feeling great but still getting a lot of grief from family members about the long term effects of LCing. Mainly that I am clogging my arteries with all this fat.

I am really interested to see other peoples cholesterol results. I have had 2 appointments so far to have blood work done and have not been able to keep these appointments. I am currently rescheduled for July 3 and determined not to let other commitments get in my way.

Anyone out there want to share their results? Good or bad.

Thanks

Vonnovich

Lisa N
Fri, Jun-28-02, 04:44
Hi Vonnovich!

Here's a link that shows my stats from last fall and again this spring. Keep in mind that last fall I had been low carbing for about 5 months, so my stats didn't improve immediately. I made very few changes in my diet between fall and spring but by then things had fallen nicely into line. Check it out here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39277

Lisa

Natrushka
Fri, Jun-28-02, 06:48
My numbers didnt change all that much, but they did change for the better. I had a textbook lipid profile to begin with, my tris went down and my HDL came up slightly. The biggest improvement I saw was in my blood pressure. I was borderline hypertensive at 142/95, now I sit at a comfortable 129/78 :)

My tests were done after 6 weeks of LCing so I am expecting a more dramatic change the next time I go in for a workup.

HTH
Nat

doreen T
Fri, Jun-28-02, 08:22
Prior to LC, my total and ldl cholesterol were in the moderate risk category, and triglycerides were borderline. At the 6-month point, all numbers had come down nicely, and hdl had risen as well. I've been low-carbing for over 2 years now and the numbers continue to drop slightly, and hdl has come up a little bit more. Like Nat, my BP has dropped significantly, from 160/100 to 120/70. You can read more details here (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36555).

I'd also like to state that for the most part, my health improvements and weight loss have been the result of the DIET alone, as I'm unable to engage in vigorous exercise.

Doreen

sunnyday
Mon, Jul-01-02, 08:44
I just posted the results of my recent blood work-up in my journal. (Not sure how to add a link to it, let's try http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38254&perpage=20&pagenumber=2.)

I'm very pleased. For the past 4 months I'd been getting so much grief from friends about "what are you doing to your heart and arteries with this diet?", that it feels great to have some hard data with which to gloat and say, "See, I told you this works!!"

:sunny:day

Vonnovich
Mon, Jul-01-02, 11:04
Hi Sunnyday

Thanks for the reply and the link worked fine.

I stalled for 2 months and then lost the next 2 lb in 10 days, now I'll see how long it takes for the scales to move again.

While my weight was stalled my BF came down 1% so I guess I was replacing FAT with muscle. Hopefully now I have more muscle, my metabolism has increased and I will continue to loose for a few weeks until it catches up again. Thats my theory on these stalls and my body. Hope this makes sense.

Vonnovich

Karla
Mon, Jul-08-02, 11:49
Vonnovich,

The last complete blood tests I had done were two years ago, after one month on the Atkins diet. I have an appointment for a complete physical, so I'll let you know how those numbers are.

After a month on the diet, my BP dropped from 150/90 to 120/70, resting pulse was 56, total cholesterol dropped 65 points, HDL up, LDL down, and the cholesterol ratios were perfect. I don't know what my triglycerides were before I started the diet, but they were 67. My doctor, who was not happy that I had chosen an LC WOE, was suitably impressed.

Just last week I checked my BP right after a hard workout with weights and it was 124/77, pulse 63!!! Not bad for a baby boomer with 50 more pounds to lose! :cheer: :cheer:

Karla

DrByrnes
Wed, Jul-10-02, 16:55
There is absolutely NO validity to cholesterol testing as cholesterol levels are constantly fluctuating in the body. A high cholesterol level means nothing in terms of risk for heart disease--so don't worry about it.

Also, the idea that saturated fatty acids "clog" arteries is wrong.

You should read my two articles on low-carb diets at:

http://www.powerhealth.net/protein2001.htm
http://www.powerhealth.net/articles6.htm

Also, Uffe Ravnskov's site is excellent for debunking the myths about heart disease: http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm

Vonnovich
Wed, Jul-10-02, 17:59
Hi DrByrnes

Welcome to this site. Thanks for the articles. I have read them, printed them and added them to my collection.

Half my family (here and overseas) are now on Low Carb diets. So far it is working for everyone. None of us are obese but have all gained a pound a year on low Calorie regims. I've lost 22 years worth! Looking foward to being 10 years lighter by Christmas.

Thanks for the help.

Vonnovich

slim2b
Tue, Jul-16-02, 20:36
Hi Vonnovich,

This has been a big item for me. My mother and her side of the family has always had the high cholesterol and heart attacks. I have listed my cholesterol test since I have been on Atkins.

I had been on Zocor for high cholesterol for about 5 years. I had started developing muscle aches in my legs and found it was contributed to the zocor.

On 1/3/02 I quit taking zocor all together and have shown significant improvement in triglycerides, a small positive change in HDL, LDL and Total. Considering I am no longer taking any prescribed meds and I feel great with no aches or pains.

I have achieved my goal weight and maintaining it. I plan on keeping track of my cholesterol every 3 to 6 months. My last cholesterol check on 6/29/02 my doctor wanted me to go back on zocor. I just can't justify it with the results I am seeing.

1/3/02
TRIGLYCERIDES 118
HDL (Good) 54
LDL (Bad) 153
CHOLESTEROL TOT 231

3/7/02
TRIGLYCERIDES 71
HDL (Good) 50
LDL (Bad) 149
CHOLESTEROL TOT 213

6/29/02
TRIGLYCERIDES 60
HDL (Good) 57
LDL (Bad) 152
CHOLESTEROL TOT 221

Good luck,

slim2b :spin:

Vonnovich
Mon, Jul-22-02, 08:23
6 Months LC

My results are finally in. Here goes

Total Cholesterol 271
HDL 55
LDL 198
Triglycerides 89

Chol/HDL ratio 4.9
LDL/HDL risk ratio 3.6

Anyone like to comment.

I think the LDL (bad) cholesterol is too high for comfort so will increase fish consumption but I don't know what else I should do...

Any suggestions

Vonnovich

sunnyday
Mon, Jul-22-02, 09:28
Hi Vonnovich --

Glad you got your cholesterol results back. Even if it's not perfect, it's always better to know where you stand -- and it gives you someplace to go!

You're right, your LDL is too high, as is the Total, but the HDL and triglycerides are in a good range, and those are both important.

My LDL is also too high (although at 124 it's lower than yours, it's still too high for a diabetic -- my MD says it should be below 100). So I'm trying to eat lean cuts of meat, and then add fat if necessary by drizzling with olive oil. Also eating more chicken and fish (but I do love beef!!).

I'll be eager to see if anyone else has any useful tips for lowering LDL.

:sunny:day

committed
Wed, Sep-25-02, 11:36
In Feb, 2001, my overall cholesterol was 186. I've been working on weight loss, seriously, since August, 2000. At that time, my cholesterol was 240. I have been LCing about six months. The 186 number is pre-LC. The new numbers at post-LC

Every single measurement is in a good range except CO2. I'm not sure what that is but even that one is just one point below healthy range.

Today I got new test results from my doctor. TOTAL: 172
Chol: 172
Triglycerides: 70
HDL: 43 ideal range is 40-60. This has never been good before!
LDLC: 115

My doc did a comprehensive metabolic panel:
Albumin: 3.8 *** 3.5-4.9 healthy range
Alkaline Phosphase: 72 right in the middle of good range
ALT: 22 ALL OF THESE IN GOOD RANGE, SOME OPTIMAL
AST 18
Calcium: 8.8
Chloride: 110
CO2: 23 . . . this one is low. healthy range is 24-34 so this one isn't all that bad. Does this mean water? The morning of the blood draw I had drunk about sixty ounces of water by 8 a.m. and draw done about 10.
Creatinine 0.7
Glucose: 102 . . . I was deep in ketosis when test done and doing less than 20 carbs daily
Potassium:4.5 Morton's Lite Salt must have done the trick: I have always struggled to keep enough potassium in me
Protein: 7.5
Sodium: 144
Bilirubin: 0.3 WHAT IS THIS? ANYWAY, IT'S IN GOOD RANGE
Urea nitrogen: 13 WHAT IS THIS?

IT ALL LOOKS GREAT. I AM SO PROUD OF MYSELF. MY CHOLESTEROL HAS BEEN AS HIGH AS LOW 300'S AND MY GOOD CHOLESTEROL HAS, IN THE PAST, BEEN DANGEROUSLY LOW.

I'd like to tell Jane Brody these test results. Her recent nonsense science article against low carb talked a lot about how bad Atkins is for cholesterol.

Paleoanth
Wed, Oct-09-02, 08:40
I just got my blood test results back. Before I went on a low carb WOE my cholesterol was 211, my LDL was 137 and my triglicerides were 163. After 3 WEEKS my cholesterol is 148, my LDL is 87 and my triglicerides are 114.

Such an amazing change in a short time.

If I wasn't a believer before, I am now.

Sheldon
Thu, Oct-17-02, 06:19
HDL went up a lot. TGs went down a lot.
LDL went up a little. Total went from 224 to 242.
Am I concerned? No way. Why? Read Dr. Ravnskov's The Cholesterol Myths (http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm).

Beware LOW cholesterol.

Sheldon

Kent
Tue, Oct-22-02, 16:25
My total cholesterol level remained the same at 206 after being on LC for 4 months and continued to improve when last tested after nearly 2 years. My LC was started in June 1999, and I have no desire to change.

Triglycerides (bad guys) plunged from 214 to 92. This is an awsome improvement.

HDL (good guys) soared from 35 to 55. Great results.

Blood pressure dropped to normal.

Other health benefits have been stronger knees and back, cured skin problem on hand and great weight loss. You can read more about my LC story at the web page below.

shutt22
Thu, Oct-31-02, 14:28
Here are the numbers I got today, compared with my last blood test. Maybe the U.S. and Canada use different scales, because my numbers aren't at all like some I've seen posted (Maybe someone can explain this to me). Anyway, things are improving:

Before/Current/Ideal

Total Cholesterol: 6.92/5.17/<5.2
HDL-C: 0.78/0.89/>1.0
LDL-C: 4.88/3.78/<3.4
Triglycerides: 2.77/1.11/<3.2
Ratio: 8.87/5.8/<5.0

Note that I have only been on the W.O.E. for THREE MONTHS, and in that time I STOPPED TAKING ZOCOR!

I still have a little further to go, but my doctor was very impressed with my weight loss and my new W.O.E.

shutt22

Sheldon
Thu, Oct-31-02, 15:00
A friend of mine just had a procedure done for blockage on a coronary artery. His total cholesterol is 150--and has always been low.

He's not a low-carber and is overweight.

This is not uncommon. The cholesterol hypothesis is very shaky if you look at the studies closely.

Sheldon

CindySue48
Fri, Dec-13-02, 03:36
My doc did a comprehensive metabolic panel:
Albumin: 3.8 *** 3.5-4.9 healthy range
Alkaline Phosphase: 72 right in the middle of good range
ALT: 22 ALL OF THESE IN GOOD RANGE, SOME OPTIMAL
AST 18
Calcium: 8.8
Chloride: 110
CO2: 23 . . . this one is low. healthy range is 24-34 so this one isn't all that bad. Does this mean water? The morning of the blood draw I had drunk about sixty ounces of water by 8 a.m. and draw done about 10.
Creatinine 0.7
Glucose: 102 . . . I was deep in ketosis when test done and doing less than 20 carbs daily
Potassium:4.5 Morton's Lite Salt must have done the trick: I have always struggled to keep enough potassium in me
Protein: 7.5
Sodium: 144
Bilirubin: 0.3 WHAT IS THIS? ANYWAY, IT'S IN GOOD RANGE
Urea nitrogen: 13 WHAT IS THIS?

CO2 is how much carbon dioxide you have in your blood. It's an indirect indicator of your gas exchange. It probably isn't anything that it's off a bit. If it was dramatically off during an episode of respiratory difficulty, that would be different. But this might just be your "normal". As far as I know water wouldn't make a change...esecially 2 hrs before the test.

Bilirubin is liver function and Urea Nitrogen (BUN) is kidney function tests. They often do creatinine (creat) for kidney function too. Creat and BUN are often the first indicators of kidney failure. And they are monitored to evaluate the level of failure when it is present.

Cindy

kebaldwin
Fri, Jan-24-03, 10:38
I know this is a lot to ask, but I wish people would consider going back and editing their reply to indicate what vitamins/supplements they were taking. I would imagine that Triglycerides(?) would go down no matter what, but actual cholesterol would be much better with supplements.

My cholesterol was around 300 about 10-15 years ago. I started eating better and it dropped to around 250. I have been doing supplements (similar to atkins) for a year or so and had my blood work done end of December before starting Atkins. Cholesterol was down to 205. I just started Atkins and will probably wait till about 1.5 months into it to have blood work redone.

KDavis
Wed, Feb-12-03, 17:16
My new values are in and I'm pleased... My Doc has OK'd Atkins and the fact that I'd been off Pravachol for 4 months without her permission she has forgiven! Total was 193, Trig. 108, HDL 62, LDL 109! Yea!

My values were sooo much better than before, and the last time she drew labs on me I was still taking cholesterol medicine! It's great to be able to take control and leave the drug companies behind!

Regards,
Karla

Tiggerdy
Wed, Feb-19-03, 11:10
My doc insisted we give the Atkins WOL 5-6 mos. before running new blood tests. Well, having them done recently, I was pleasantly surprised.

Total Chol. 187 to 170 with an increase in HDL and decrease in LDL-- now a 3:1 ratio. My triglycerides are evil. Tri's started at 413 and are now 262- a 151 point loss. They're still high, but we're going to wait another 6 mos. to see if they come down further. I don't want to be on drugs and my doc isn't too keen on prescribing unnecessary pills either.

Another bonus is that my BP dropped to 110/70 from 150/88 and my glucose dropped to 90 from 200. I haven't needed metformin for my Type II Diabetes at all (took it 2 days and it kept crashing me)! Woo-hoo! :hyper:

Happy LCing!
Nikki :daizy:

kebaldwin
Tue, Mar-18-03, 09:00
I tried to edit my previous message but it had been too long ago to edit.

You can read more about my details in my journal:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84056

Total Cholesterol
15 years ago: 300
December 2002 (before starting Atkins): 205
March 1, 2003 (two months into Atkins): 164

Triglycerides
15 years ago: 500
Dec 2002: 246
Mar 2003: 147

Breakdown on Cholesterol
HDL Dec 2002: 36
HDL Mar 2003: 33
LDL Dec 2002: 120
LDL Mar 2003: 102
VLDL Dec 2002: 49
VLDL Mar 2003: 29

Blood pressure and resting pulse both dropped significantly.

Note this is after only two months on Atkins induction.

Isphet
Fri, Apr-25-03, 19:24
I've had cholesterol problems for some 5 years - mainly genetic. All my elder siblings have terrible cholesterol despite leading relatively 'healthy' lifestyles (healthy in the non-Atkins' way, of course).

I've done low-fat diets religiously, and watched my cholesterol soar (I'd put up results, but Australian values are extremely different to American, so they'll be meaningless to most of you).

After 7 weeks on Atkins I had my regular 6 monthly blood work done. When I went into the doctor's office she was grinning hugely and waving my results about - they were normal for the first time in years and years! Everything had improved, blood pressure as well.

So, high fat, high protein, low carb did it when nothing else had - great stuff, Dr Atkins, I am _impressed_. My own dr asked me what I was doing and I said I was doing Atkins, but it isn't widely known here in Australia, and she didn't know much about it. Later that afternoon I saw my Doctor again - I was in the dress shop buying a bunch of smaller sized clothing - she was still grinning then. :)

I've noticed a post where someone said they hadn't kept their appointments - please keep medical appointments! 12 weeks ago I had a malignant cancer picked up at the very start of its horrid, malevolent little life. I am very, very glad I kept that particular appointment! (cancer gone now.)

zandria72
Tue, May-20-03, 00:38
My results got slightly worse after two months of LC, with the exception of the triglycerides.

2/18

total: 209
LDL: 115
HDL: 56
triglycerides: 192
total/HDL ratio: 3.73

4/10

total: 221
LDL: 155
HDL: 52
triglycerides: 72
total/HDL ratio: 4.25

Paleoanth
Tue, May-20-03, 04:39
Zan-

Mine went up after a couple of months as well. Then it went back down. So many things can affect your levels-including what you ate the day before. It will be interesting to see what happens after another few months.

zandria72
Tue, May-20-03, 10:07
Well, I haven't exactly been eating very LC since then. :p But that is an interesting thought. It didn't occur to me that it might go down again.

tagcaver
Sat, May-22-04, 07:37
Total from 226 to 246 (increase due to increase in HDL)

HDL from 57 to 90

LDL from 144 to 146 (virtually the same)

VLDL from 25 to 9 (an improvement)

total/HDL ratio from 3.96 to 2.7 (low risk range)

Triglycerides from 127 to 47

The original results were from a 72 hour "very low/no fat" diet as per instructions of the lab; I was also living a high-carb low fat lifestyle at the time. The latest results were after starting this WOE and involved no special diet in the days prior to the test. I weighed about 10 lbs less when the first tests were done than when the second set was done. Both tests were early morning fasting blood draws.

My doc loves the results.

Joan

Enomarb
Sat, May-22-04, 09:11
I have been following this and other lipid threads since starting this WOL in July,2003. I am on CALP/CAHHP and have lost 45 lbs. My lipids went up a bit, but I stuck to the plan with the encouragement of this forum- hoping the levels would improve over time. YES!!

Pre: Chol 211
HDL 28
LDL 154 I am on Pravachol, Zetia, and use flax.
Tri 147 The only changes pre/now is LC!!

4 months LC: Chol 239
HDL 54
LDL 155
Tri 150

10 months LC: Chol 180
5/20/04 HDL 60
LDL 93
Tri 133

Good luck- and stick with it.
Eno

tagcaver
Sat, May-22-04, 17:09
I know this is a lot to ask, but I wish people would consider going back and editing their reply to indicate what vitamins/supplements they were taking. I would imagine that Triglycerides(?) would go down no matter what, but actual cholesterol would be much better with supplements.

I take a variety of supplements but the only two that I know of that benefit lipid values are the vitamin C (supposed to help maintain healthy cholesterol levels) and L-carnitine (supposed to lower triglycerides). This info is from the bottle label. The total list of supplements I take is here http://www.knology.net/~keevers/Diet.htm. Since I made that page I also have added magnesium (500 mg 1x/day for proper bone mineralization and involved in muscle contractions and nerve impulses) and biotin (1000 mcg 1x/day for support of energy metabolism in cells and supports healthy skin and hair). I've also switched from chromium picolnitate to GTF chromium (200 mcg 1x/day, supports body's use of sugar and a healthy blood sugar level) and dropped the vitamin E.

When I had the original set of lipids done, I was only taking a multivitamin, calcium, vitamin C, and vitamin E.

I would be interested in hearing if there were any supplements that lowered HDL.

Joan

treefrog
Wed, Aug-11-04, 13:23
My numbers got worse, but after reading posts here, I have decided to stick with for a few more months and see what happens then.

Before LC
3/19/04
Total 215 (This is what my total has been for probably the last 10-15 years)
HDL 71
LDL 125
Trig. 94

4 months after
7/19/04
Total 273
HDL 69
LDL 173
Trig. 153

My triglycerides went up, and so did my LDL. My doctor wanted me to stop LC or go on medication. I talked her into letting me continue LC, and check my cholesterol again at the end of Oct, which will be 7 months after starting LC, and 3 months after the last results. I hope the numbers start to go down, as other people have reported for themselves.

PacNW
Wed, Sep-01-04, 01:00
I waited a full year before having my blood re-check, and I am glad I did. Dr. was thrilled with weight loss, improved hDL and lower BP.

DavidS
Sun, Sep-05-04, 08:37
My weight is down, I'm feeling great but still getting a lot of grief from family members about the long term effects of LCing. Mainly that I am clogging my arteries with all this fat.

I am really interested to see other peoples cholesterol results. I have had 2 appointments so far to have blood work done and have not been able to keep these appointments. I am currently rescheduled for July 3 and determined not to let other commitments get in my way.

Anyone out there want to share their results? Good or bad.

Thanks

Vonnovich

My results were bad on the atkins I took my blood test agian because I ate before I took them but It was still high. I went frrom and ldl of 94 to an ldl of 180. I recomend DO the atkins but restrict your fat!!. I am restrictng my fat and my ldl should go down. I am eating leaner meats. I totaly love the atkins diet but there are a lot of people in the world who are fat sensitive. If your Ldl goes up I would either go on the atkins and eat leaner meats or go to south beach. But I would perfer the atkins!! Also if your at a risk of heart disease I would not do the atkins cause more researsch has to be done!! If youi are at risk for heart disease DO atkins but a low fat way. It really isnt that bad just get lean cuts of meat and put it on the george forman frill and thats going to get rid of the fat. So Make sure your ldl goes down on the atkins. Even though there is no studies that prove that if your ldl is high you can get heart disease you can die of a heart attack easier than someone who has low ldl and high hdl. My parents are both doctors and they are in the atkins and say that its a good diet for the heart. Just be carefull and make sure you get your blood test frequently!!!

hornman48
Tue, Nov-02-04, 15:09
Before Atkins My TC was 282 LDL 212 TriG 51 after 6 months on high fat Atkins TC 230, LDL 154 TriG 56 , I lost about 20 pounds. Anyway my cardiologiust said not to worry half the folks who have heart attacks have low to normal cholesterol and statins have only proved to help people wuth existing CVD and statins dont prevent CVD in healthy people

hornman48
Tue, Nov-02-04, 15:18
That is if your TC is over 350 its a problem. There is a lot of contradictory evidence against the Lipid theory. The problem is mainstream medicine has been bought by large pharmacopia. There are so many conflicts of interest. Did you know that the NCEP guidelines were decided by 9 doctors 8 of which had direct ties to large pharmaceutical money!!! There is not one RCT that shows a low saturated fat diet or lowering cholesterol prevents heart disease. Furthermore ALL STATINS in their RCTS reduced CHD events for 1.5% to 3% except the 4S which had the best result of 6% absolute risk reduction of CHD all the others including the HPS showed weak benefit to no benefit and several RCT showed highed mortality on statins due to cancers, infectious disease and violence. The Phamaceutical Corporations report the results in relative risk reduction which is a meaningless number and meant just to seel their drugs.

CindySue48
Wed, Nov-03-04, 21:53
Anyway my cardiologiust said not to worry half the folks who have heart attacks have low to normal cholesterol and statins have only proved to help people wuth existing CVD and statins dont prevent CVD in healthy people

Well, nice to see at least one cardiologist admit it!!!!!!!!!!

I go see my reg doc next month, will again refuse statins.