PDA

View Full Version : Visit With Endo...lots Of New Info

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jeanner
Thu, Jun-27-02, 07:53
Well yesterday I went to see the new doctor my family physician referred me to. Wow ......did you know that low-carbing affects the thyroid gland? Apparently if hinders the body and thyroids ability to convert T4 to T3. Well I am being sent to see a nutritionist to help me with my WOE. While she does agree that a low-carb (sugars and refined flour) lifestyle is best for hypo patients she has a very specific way of handling it. It was a most interesting visit.

I am still at 160 lbs and very disgusted about not losing. She says that since I have only been on meds since May 13th it isn't a long enough time. It takes at least 4-6 months to get everything balanced out correctly. However she did a full metabolic blood profile, as well as some others. if my thyroid levels come back with a still high TSH and low T3 she will consider a:) adding cytomel or b:) switiching me to thyrolar.

WOOHOO we should get those results next week or so. my temp is averaging 97.6 which is up from 97.1.

Natrushka
Thu, Jun-27-02, 09:01
Originally posted by Jeanner
Wow ......did you know that low-carbing affects the thyroid gland? Apparently if hinders the body and thyroids ability to convert T4 to T3.

Actually, any fat loss will negatively effect thyroid function. Our bodies spent centuries dealing with famine and food shortages - when body fat was lost it was a signal to the thyroid that the body was 'waisting away' and it should slow this down by preserving fat stores.

A few of the studies that I came across when researching thyroid and LCing pointed to a more marked decrease in serum T3 in a LC diet (34.6%) vs. HC diet (17.9%) but a significantly less decrease in resting metabolic rate (12.4% for LC and 20.8% for HC). Serum T3 increased when more carbs were introduced.

Mathieson RA, Walberg JL, Gwazdauskas FC, Hinkle DE, Gregg JM Metabolism 1986 May;35(5):394-398

Nat

billw
Thu, Jun-27-02, 10:45
Good info Jeanner, I just had my blood work done yesterday. My doc is only checking TSH though. I asked for the TSH, T3 and T4 tests but she said lets see how the TSH is first. Now I will have a little more info for when the results come back in.

Bill

Natrushka
Thu, Jun-27-02, 11:06
Bill, I think you'll experience this much less doing the CKD - If I am not mistaken Dan talked about this a few days ago in one of his posts.

Nat

billw
Thu, Jun-27-02, 14:58
Thanks Nat,

I missed that somehow. Yesterday was kind of crazy here at work. Hopefully my T3 levels will straighten out. I've only had 2 carb-ups and my temps are averaging 97.3. I guess it will take them a while to get better.

Bill

Quilter
Tue, Jul-02-02, 08:43
Jeanner, could you please share with us more of what the nutritionist told you. I get so much conflicting advice that I'm never sure if what I am doing is right. I guess I need to get back to the nutritionist. I was there and had a couple of great sessions and got much good advice that really helped me, but that was a couple of years ago now and things do change.

Jeanner
Tue, Jul-02-02, 11:25
Hi.........

It was my first meeting and I am looking forward to going back!

1.) Thyroid people definitely have troubles with alot of saturated fats, refined sugars and flour. I am too avoid all dairy for now, and limit my red meat consumption to 3-4 times per week and they must be lean cuts.

2.) Limit my intake of broccoli, cauliflower and when I do have them cook thoroughly ( I used to eat these raw), (absolutely no soy)peanut butter, nuts in general-flaxseed and flaxseed oil. These are goitergens and can aggivate thyroid troubles.

3.) Eat more fish,eggs(omega 3 brand) pork and chicken - also foods rich in monounsatured fats. Also up my carb intake to about 100 pre ecc. I am to add more foods like steel cut oatmeal etc. for breakfast, small quantities of brown rice and quinoa. Absolutelyno white flour or refined sugars etc.

4.) Also I am to cut my calories from 1600 to 1400. Its sort of like Atking KISS...except they definitely want me to at a minimum of 60gr per day of protein, and spread my meals across 5 or 6 a day.

Right now my choleterol levels are all jazzed up because my non-functioning thyroid troubles. This will get better with timeI am told. Also I have added 200 of selenium per day, Maca Root, and an excellent calcium and magnesium/zinc supplement taken each evening after dinner. I hope this helps.

I agreed not to hit the scale or to measure until I go back in 2 weeks. I also got my blood tests back and my hormone levels for thyroid are outta wack. So my doctor cut back on the levoxyl (T4) and added 25mcg of cytomel (T3). She firmly believes that I have conversion issues.

Quilter
Tue, Jul-02-02, 13:13
Thanks so much for your quick reply. That's pretty much what I had been told, except I am allowed 1 serving of soy 2-3 times per week. I, too, love broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage - raw. It loses something when it is cooked. I'm 60 and have 2 dairy per day.

I can tell you that my chloresterol is excellent - 121, Triglycerides are 55, Good is 50 and Bad is on the low side at 60. My doctor attributes it to eating right but most of all to good genes.

I eat mostly chicken, fish and pork, with beef maybe once a week. I love oatmeal and whole wheat products. It took me a while to get used to it, but it is becoming second nature. What I have to watch out for now is portion size. If I don't periodically weight or measure my food, my 1/2 cup becomes 1 cup, 4 oz. becomes 6 and up goes my weight.

I eat 5 times a day, small amounts, and try to have some protein or dairy with each meal. It seems to stick with me longer when I do.

My biggest downfall is popcorn. I allow myself I serving on Sunday afternoon for a treat. Otherwise, I'd be eating it every day.

Keep us posted!