PDA

View Full Version : [BFL] Bananas?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

JennyAnkai
Mon, Jun-24-02, 13:18
Dr. Hussman suggests in his BFL tips that a banana or other high glycemic carb is good to eat right after working out. Now, I know Dr. Hussman is not analyzing a low carb BFL plan like ours, but what do you guys think of eating a banana right after working out on weight training days?

Natrushka
Tue, Jun-25-02, 08:31
Jenny, I think Hussman has some great advice on this page and I think he's got some crappy advice on his page. If it were up to him I'd be eating 1400 calories to lose fat. If I eat anything under 1900 I don't lose a damned thing ('cept patience maybe ;) )

Yes, carbs after a workout are a good idea. They help bring cortisol down, they make the body more anabolic and they help to shuttle amino acids into the muscles. How high GI you go is a matter of personal preference. Try a banana and see how you feel. It might not be a problem for you. For some of us it would set off cravings for the rest of the day. I think it would make me feel kinda bloated (just guessing from past high GI experiences when I was down in Cuba this winter).

If you try it please report back with your findings :)
Nat

JennyAnkai
Tue, Jun-25-02, 10:11
Thanks for the reply, Nat. I always hope for at least one "Nat response" whenever I post!

You're right that Hussman seems a little overboard on the calorie counts. According to his calculations, I'm supposed to keep my intake at between 1200-1350 per day, which is pretty low! So that's why I asked the question, because I never take anything anyone says at complete face value.

I guess my concern is that, as low carbers, we've been warned way against eating bananas not only because of their high carb count, but because of their high glycemic carb count, like you said. But I do like them, so if I'm given the green light to eat them, I would. And I tried it last week and it didn't seem to have any ill effects on me. It just makes me nervous because of the high glycemic index that we as LCers have been so warned away from. I'll be sure to let ya'all know how it turns out as far as my overall BFL results. (I'm beginning Week 5 of Challenge 1). Thanks again!

Jenny

Inigo
Mon, Aug-12-02, 10:34
Keep in mind that very ripe bananas have a higher GI rating. :)

I'll tell you right off that I'm not a huge fan of the typical LC diet. We need carbs. Especially after an intense workout such as resistance training. Eat the banana. Have some protien with it. It is higher GI than most carbs that we'd like to stick with... but it's also the *perfect* type of carb for a post workout meal.