PDA

View Full Version : Lasagna-like Casserole - 2 carbs/square!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

catinhat
Mon, Jun-24-02, 08:19
I made this during the weekend, and we like it. It's easy to make, easy to slice, and has several different protein sources. I hope you like it!

First layer:
Spray nonstick spray in an 8 by 8 inch pan.
Combine 2 eggs, 1/4 c. shredded parmesan cheese, 1 1/4 c. shredded zucchini, and 6 slices of chopped up genoa salami (any salami or pepperoni would do, just make sure it's no carbs). Add some garlic powder, oregano and basil. Put in the pan, place in the oven and let this layer firm up while you prepare the rest of it. (When I made this, I turned the oven on just a few minutes before I put this in, so it wasn't super hot at the start. I think this gave me more time for the second layer.)

Second layer:
Brown 1 lb. ground beef. Drain off excess fat. Add one 8oz can Hunt's roasted garlic tomato sauce. Simmer to combine flavors. Add some garlic powder, basil, oregano and a capful of white vinegar. When the first layer looks somewhat set, put this layer on top of it, spreading evenly all the way to the edges.

Third layer:
Cover casserole w/1c. shredded mozzarella. Cover that with 1/4 c. shredded parmesan. Sprinkle with some basil, oregano, garlic powder and salt substitute.

Bake until cheese melts and starts to brown. Let sit for 10-15 minutes before cutting. Cut into 9 equal squares. According to my calculations, each square has just under 2 'available' (minus fiber and such) carbs. 1 piece is a substantial snack, or 2 with a salad is a nice meal. I hope you like it!!

Having made this only once, I think it's pretty good. It's kinda thin. If you made two of each layer, I suppose you could do salami-egg, meat-tomato, cheese, salami-egg, meat-tomato, cheese, and get a thicker, heartier serving. It would still only be 4 per slice!!

ptjody
Mon, Jun-24-02, 18:32
This sounds really good. Thanks for the information. I'm looking forward to making this for our family.

catinhat
Tue, Jul-23-02, 17:53
Bumpity - bump, for my friend Sienna!!

-Cat :wave:

RedheadF
Sat, Sep-28-02, 05:14
I want to try this very very much but DH will not eat Veggies.. So what can I replace for the zucchini? This sounds like a WONDERFUL meal!!

catinhat
Sat, Sep-28-02, 09:35
You know, I don't think you'll even know the zucchini is there. It is shredded, so it doesn't appear as slices or anything. It adds some moisture, fiber, and important vitamins and such. If he's eating the tomato sauce, he's eating vegetables, so I would just go for it. The zuchhini really isn't obvious in this dish. Good luck!

-Catinhat

RedheadF
Sat, Sep-28-02, 09:39
ok Then I will go for it!! LOL I will just really chop it up fine fine fine!! Thanks alor again :D

EzStar
Wed, Dec-14-05, 11:52
:thup: THis ounds Fabulous!!! I am going to try this Right away. I think I might make this for my mother! :)

divvy
Tue, Jan-03-06, 09:15
Umm...perhaps I just missed it, but what temp. are you putting this dish in at?? :q:

4beans4me
Tue, Jan-03-06, 09:20
When in doubt, I usually use 350 and keep an eye on it. :)

divvy
Tue, Jan-03-06, 10:17
Thanks 4beans...I figured that was a safe bet, but just wasn't sure. Now if it comes out lousy I can yell at you! haha :lol: Thanks again for the suggestion. Will let you know how it comes out after I get around to making it. ;)

frogg
Fri, Jan-13-06, 12:06
You could also slice the zucchini in long pieces, and lay them as a layer in your lasagna instead of noodles. You'd fry the zucchini first, and maybe even let them sit on paper towel to soak up some extra moisture. Them layer the salami, cheese, eggy mixture etc etc. This would help you get more 'volume'.

Eggplant works well too, I slice it, salt it and let it sit for a few miutes till it 'sweats'. Little beads of moisture comes to the surface. Then you rinse it and this takes away any bitterness. Then fry and paper towel it like the zuccini. :yum:

bsheets
Sat, Feb-11-06, 03:45
So did anyone try to double up this recipe? How did that go? And what about family reaction? :)

e

gourmaid
Mon, Feb-27-06, 18:40
Eggplant works well too, I slice it, salt it and let it sit for a few miutes till it 'sweats'. Little beads of moisture comes to the surface. Then you rinse it and this takes away any bitterness. Then fry and paper towel it like the zuccini. :yum:[/QUOTE]

Right on! I just made an eggplant "lasagna" last night that was very similar to this. Ours was one layer of thin, wide eggplant slices (pre-cooked-- read above); one layer of browned meat (with fresh garlic and a couple of canned tomatoes added); one layer of fresh mozzarella slices; one layer of fresh basil leaves; another layer of eggplant slices; and then a top layer of shredded asiago cheese. We baked at 350, until the top cheese was well melted.

Very delicious. :agree:

deb34
Fri, Mar-10-06, 14:32
does anyone have the carb/fiber counts for this recipe?