PDA

View Full Version : Mayonnaise????

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

vanessa
Sun, Jun-23-02, 01:10
I know this has been posted before but was just wondering if anyone has found a mayonnaise from the shops lately that I can use or do I have to make my own. I have never tried to make it but think I will have a go if I have to.

thanks
vanessa

MintQ8
Sun, Jun-23-02, 01:17
Hi - this is my first post here - but I have found exactly the same problem - I have only just moved to Australia and can't believe how many things have soooo much sugar in them - mayonnaise and bacon are my two favourite annoyances at the moment - plus jerky - nowhere else do they add carbs to good old meat!!!

I haven't found anything - and am going to make some. I have made it year's ago - but can't remember the recipe, so I'll have to dig it out - but my advice would be don't make too much - it goes off or separates relatively quickly.

If you do find any - please let me know!!

Reymi_VZ
Sun, Jun-23-02, 07:35
2.7g per 20g (Tbs)

That is the one I use and *gasp* it is Woolworths home brand.

I use mayo a couple of times a week, whereas I never used it or even liked it before Atkins. My super lazy dinner is: couple of slices of roast whatever with some mustard, pile of shredded sugar leaf cabbage with some mayo, 1/3 carrot, 1/2 small tomato.

Mayo is my friend!

Rosebud
Sun, Jun-23-02, 07:42
Hi girls, (Welcome, Vicky!)

I use S&W mayo - available from all supermarkets. It has a spot of sugar in it, but I read somewhere (can't remember exactly where - sorry!) that it has 0.5g carbs/tbsp. That's an Aussie tablespoon too - 20mL not the 15mL in US and Canadian tbsps.
If you check the ingredients, sugar is way down the list, meaning there's not much of it.

It's also pretty yummy!

I also found Cardini's Original Caesar Dressing at Coles, 0.6g carbs per 30 mL serving. Seriously yummy! :D

Vicky, how about (a) going to the Introduce Yourself forum where you can - introduce yourself! :p and
(b) start up a journal here where we can really get to know you.
You'll find info on how to start a journal at the top of the Intro forum.
Had to edit 'cos I see you have a journal! :blush: I'm off to visit you!
Cheers, girls!

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

vanessa
Sun, Jun-23-02, 18:50
Thanks for that I acutally found the cardinis ceaser salad dressing in my fridge :o , suprising what you find when you look at the back :p . I went to the shops and got coles brand mayo it has 1.0carb per 14gram which is ok cause I don't use it that much and it said less than 1g sugar .

thanks
vanessa

Rainbow
Sat, Jun-29-02, 14:56
Hi Vanessa,

I use Cardinis Caesar Salad dressing too, but for just
mayonnaise, I use "Norganic" Golden Soya Mayonnaise,
which was recommended by the local Gynaecologist
who is low-carbing too. It is very good, and available
in Woolworths (health food section), Coles and Bilo in
the mayo section. It has 0 carbs.

:wave:

ddc
Thu, Jul-04-02, 17:12
Hi from Sydney also :wave:

Hi from Sydney also. I commenced the low carb diet about 3 months ago but slacked off quite a bit recently. I now am going through that awlful flu going around. I will try my darndest to get back into this diet. I commenced at 91kg and am now 87kg with a long way to still go. Keep up the good work with your diet.

Rosebud
Thu, Jul-04-02, 18:40
Hi there ddc, welcome!

How about starting up a journal here. That way we can give you a bit of help and encouragement along the way.
This thread will show you How to start a journal. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34155)

It's always good to see another Aussie here! :D

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

LucyCL
Mon, Jul-08-02, 22:15
Another LC mayo is made by Marketta and is only available in Woollies - it is very yummy :p

Lucy

karen 106
Sun, Aug-04-02, 01:34
I too was like you, started then fell off the rails because I went on holidays. Put on a couple of kgs and thought to myself this is not what I want to do (put on weight) I want to take it off. So with the help of this forum and my own motivation I've managed to get back onto L-Carbing this week and have already lost 2.4kgs. I hope you can also get motivated and start to loose again. :)

Its amazing with reading these posts the amount of food products that are just out there. :thup:

Cheers.
Karen.

kiwichick
Mon, Oct-21-02, 20:11
Hi
yes I have found low carb mayo in NZ. It got it from New World - Wellington (but not all carry it). It is called New American - I think it is made by Pams.

sallyPL
Thu, Oct-24-02, 01:52
Lovely to see some locals - sometimes I despair there are any of us on the net! People are so generous with their advice but so many things are different here from the US. I have spent some time in the US and we are so lucky that everything doesn't have sugar in it here. Have you ever tried US bread?? It's like cake - so gross. I take my hat off to all Americans trying to lose weight - the odds are so stacked against them.
We owe Rose a big vote of thanks - she is fantastic. Yes I am going to start a journal - soon. I am just getting started but am very confused about how different some of the diets are. Sugar Busters are inclined towards lower fat while Dr A is go for the fat. there seems to be differences in what products are no nos - rockmelon being a good example.
Is anyone into protein shakes? My breakfast is stuff called Modifast.I have a real prob in the morning having time for anything more and a quick shake seems a great answer for me.
Rose - to answer previous question - yes I am on HRT luckily only estrogen which doesn't seem to be same prob as progestin altho time will tell!
This is day 4 and for first time I feel a bit light headed. Do you have to eat at least 20g carbs per day? Thanks and look forward to seeing more of us.
intersting info - did you know that the French doctors decided in the 1920s that fat babies were unhealthy and it became very antisocial to have fat children!!! Sally :wave:

sharon8
Fri, Oct-25-02, 19:43
Hi Sally :wave:

I am new too. I think it is a good idea to start a journal. Everyone has been very encouraging and helpful in answering my questions....Especially Rosebud :wave: - so grateful...

As no-one else had answered your questions yet, I thought I might put my 2 cents in...

I don't know much about the other diets. I read a little about Sugar Busters and was left confused like you. For now, I am doing Atkins. I have spoken to a doctor friend who is on it and he has lost a heap and is happy. I described the diet to another friend who is a cardiothorasic surgeon and he couldn't see a problem with doing the induction as long as the high animal fat element wasn't long term. I asked him what his family's diet was like and he pretty much described the life time maintainance part of Atkins. They are all nice and slim. Gotta be something in that.

I prefer a shake first thing, too. It was hard to go to eggs for brekka. I think that after induction you can make shakes with some cream and water and a few berries. I have actually done that a couple of times and it is REALLY good. Guess you could add whatever you want - as long as it is low in carbs - to the drink. Not sure if it is keeping to the rules. Others would know.

I felt yuk for the first 3 weeks - that seems to be longer than most. Feeling fine now. :thup: There are lots of good suggestions about that in the newbies stuff.

Regarding fat babies....I read a quote supposedly from a 19th century paediatric text that said that playing with babies was dangerous and that under no circumstances should a parent be tempted to involve the child in the hazardous practice of 'dandling on the knee'. (!!!)They also recommended splinting the arms by the sides at night as a cure for thumbsucking (which is, as we know, a terrible evil). Just goes to show how faddish the medical profession can be. Got to get some commonsense in there somewhere, don't you think?

Personally, I think you should eat the minimum amount of carbs a day. Bound to get a bit lightheaded otherwise, I think. I'd ask around.

Rosebud
Fri, Oct-25-02, 20:16
I feel a bit light headed.
Sally, I know it's a few days since you wrote that, so maybe you're feeling better by now. I hope so!

Are you taking any supplements? Dizziness and lightheadedness often means you need a touch of potassium. At the commencement of a low carb eating plan, one automatically loses a lot of water and mineral salts, especially potassium, tend to be lost as well.

You can buy over the counter tablets (Blackmores make one called Potassium Compound) or you can use a potassium salt such as No Salt - available in supermarkets next to the ordinary salt. Just sprinkle it on your food as you would ordinary salt.
Do make sure you drink plenty of water and if you are taking diuretics or blood pressure tablets, check with your pharmacist (or doctor) before adding potassium.
I remember feeling dreadful in my first couple of weeks before I added a bit of potassium. So I hope that helps!

Mayonnaise.
Just to return to the original reason for this thread for a moment, Hellmans mayo has been available in Oz for the last month or so, and it is yummy, and only has 0.2g carbs per 20mL.

Cheers all.

Roz

tiggy_oz
Tue, Oct-29-02, 17:53
Hiya everyone.
This topic of mayo was near and dear to my heart. When i moved from Canada to oz 2 years ago the first thing that i noticed was that all the mayo here was gross.. kinda like mircle whip :( bleh! I really mourned for my hellmans! I found that S&W one and i *think* that it was the one made by best foods in canada (the makers of hellmans). I still found it to not taste quite right.. hmm

But as rosebud said, Hellmans has finally released their product range here and OMG i am in heaven :). This is the BEST mayo in the entire world!! The sun dried tomato vinagrette dressing is really yummy too, a kinda nutty flavour.

Hopefully you aussies can give me a hand in finding low carb stuff here. I have had a tough time of adjusting to the products here. I did low carb in canada and it was far easier, processed food wise.

Keep Smiling :)
Christine

Rainbow
Tue, Nov-05-02, 10:10
I have seen you on the LCC. I'm sure that if you need any local information on products, you will get some help here. :wave:

toolovely
Mon, Nov-18-02, 20:39
just thought id drop a line or two in here as this i notice is the Aussie section. and of course im from Aussie.

ive been spending alot of time in the Atkins site in America cause they have the site that they can chat in with them live pretty kewl Actually i thought.
Anyways my name is Jacqui and im from Mandurah Western Australia, ive been doing Atkins again now for only 2 days blahhhh Well was on it before but just couldnt seem to get it right tried and failed many times.
I did have a buddy from America though and we posted every day to each other what we ate and you know it worked i lost nearly 10 kilo over 4 months but alas we lost touch not sure what heppened to her.. and of course i got kidney infection ( not enough water ) my own fault so here we are again back at the drawing board and rearing to go... As usual its a matter of finding out what we can and cant eat and working out whats here in Australai we dont have as much stuff as they have readily available but then i guess it makes it that we have to eat more natural lololol
Well people i started the day before yesterday at 126 kilo or i think it was 277 ib and im down to 125 kilos today so thats a start lol although i think i ate too much yesterday
i had 2155 or there abouts calories and 19 grams carb 162 of fat and 153 of protien .
will try do a journal if i can work out how to do it although i see rosebud has said how to get there
hope to catch you all son

BilliJean
Mon, Dec-16-02, 10:22
Hi, I've also found Hellmann's products (as Roz mentioned) veeeery good. Their salad dressings/ mayos are definitely the lowest I've managed to find (and in MHO the closest to the "real thing")
hehehe, no I don't have any affiliation with them - besides really liking their products ...and at 0.2g per 20mls (Balsamic Vinaigrette & Mayo which I currently have in fridge -can't verify the others but I remember them being similarly low), I feel pretty confident using them without any "unpleasant" effects!

:) Billi-Jean

Jaxx
Thu, Jan-16-03, 16:19
It is really fantastic to be able to read all of the view points from Aussies & Kiwis... This is my first time to this site and it is all so much more familiar than the US sites (at least i know what foods etc you are all talking about) :D
I too am trying the Aikens LC way of life again. I originally began in August to lose weight for my wedding in Nov. From Nov until Jan I considered myself on holidays (honeymoon and Christmas) eat whatever I could put my hands on!!! :( BUT back to reality as of 02 Jan, and to be honest am struggling a little.
This site is becoming my savior!!!!
Thank you all!!!!
:wave: :thup:

jaddles
Sun, Jan-19-03, 19:22
Thanks for shunting this thread up Jaxx - read it and now I can have Mayo on my salad :yay:

Jaxx
Mon, Jan-20-03, 17:31
Shunting???

jaddles
Mon, Jan-20-03, 18:34
Making it current - bringing it to the top of the list so lazy people like me can see it and read it!! ;)

Jaxx
Mon, Jan-20-03, 23:20
OOOHHHHHH

No worries - thought I'd done the wrong thing :D

jaddles
Tue, Jan-21-03, 00:03
Nope - you did my a huge favor - I thought Mayo was off limits!!

jaddles
Tue, Jan-28-03, 17:34
Mmmm - bought a yummy Lime & Chilli mayo made by Hellmans yesterday, and thier roasted garlic one is scrummo!!

Jezebel
Thu, Jan-30-03, 21:01
So glad to read th S&W mayo is good for low carbing.. always been my favourite...i noticed that sugar is lower down on the list of inredients than it is in Hellmans... and IMHO it tastes better too.
Glad too see other Aussies around... begin to feel alone looking at allthe US sites :wave:

FionaC
Thu, Feb-06-03, 14:50
I can eat S&W Mayo!!!! :hyper: :clap: :yay: I love real mayo

You have made my day !

Fiona :)

NiSSaNKiNG
Mon, Jul-14-03, 19:40
I'm from Adelaide and I use Hellmans Real Mayo. I buy it from BiLo. Hellmans also made/make flavoured Mayo, the Chilli and Lime isn't bad ...similar to TarTare sauce I guess.