PDA

View Full Version : Just how many carbs in a day?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sidney
Thu, Jun-20-02, 09:44
I get confused sometimes... No carbs until my reward meal, but then I notice how many carbs are in my comp. meal cottage cheese, and think OH NO! Same thing for spinach and probably a lot of other things I haven't noticed yet. I'm assuming that less is best, but is there any cut and dried formula that says, OK, no more than X amount of carbs in your comp. meal? :wave:

merrymutts
Fri, Jun-21-02, 19:52
I've just read to be reasonable and keep the reward meal to the salad, 1/3 protein, 1/3 crave reducing vegetables, 1/3 other foods plus a reasonable dessert and the beverage of choice.. Not to count the carbs at the reward meal but the be realistic and reasonable...obviously this is NOT the pig out meal.

tigerww
Sun, Jun-23-02, 18:59
The non-reward meals and snacks should be roughly 1/2 protein and 1/2 low-carb vegetables. Though the proportions can vary as you need them to, be sure to include some protein and some veggies every time you eat.

As far as amounts, I limit things like cottage cheese to a single standard serving. This would keep you to no more than 4 grams carbs typically in a 1/2 cup serving. If I'm still hungry, I add other food that is lower in carbs.

Remember, on the other hand, that one of the great things about CAD/CALP is that you don't have to count calories, carbs, or anything else.

Hope this helps,

Tiger ;)

Wolfiesask
Thu, Jun-27-02, 16:27
You might want to invest in the small booklets the Heller's published, especially the carb counter one. It gives a nice listing of hundreds of foods and their carb counts, as well as indicating what many trigger foods, like cottage cheese, may be. From there you can create a quick reference list of low carb veggies that you can mix and match for your complementary meals. I avoid cottage cheese except for at a reward meal as it is a trigger for me. It takes a bit of practice but don't get too hung up on things being perfect.

As far as how many carbs in a day, don't worry about totals as long as you stick to the low carb veggies and lean protein for the 2 comp. meals then remember t balance supper with 1/3 high carb, 1/3 low carb and 1/3 protein, that is, after starting with your salad. Another thing to remember is amounts, as it's not intended to be a binge. Best wishes and keep working at it!!

Wolfie :wave: