PDA

View Full Version : Muffins - The Best Flax Muffins in the World

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

spirit
Mon, Jun-17-02, 13:40
Try these! Oh you will love them! Promise! During PMS I can't stop eating them, but the fiber in the them keeps you full all day.

1/2 cup measures like sugar Splenda
1/2 stick butter (regular salted butter), melted
1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill flax meal (this is a great tasting brand!)
3/4 cup Atkins vanilla shake mix or Keto vanilla shake mix (can't vouch for other brands)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 large egg
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 tb. vegetable oil

Mix wet ingredients in bowl. Beat very well.

Mix dry ingredients in second bowl.

Mix wet ingredients into dry. Stir until very smooth.

Spray 6 cup muffin tin (I use the foil throw-away kind) with cooking spray and spoon in batter.

Bake 15 or 20 min., until knife inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.

Cool. I like these refrigerated and served very cold.

Makes 6 muffins. Each muffin has 5.5 grams carb. Please note that I do not subtract fiber on my food plan, and flax is loaded with fiber.

You can easily double the recipe.

Enjoy!
Next I'll post my cauliflower salad which tastes as good as potato salad!

spirit
Mon, Jun-17-02, 13:44
oops!

Sorry! I should have said bake in 350 degree oven!

Also, when I say shake mix, I mean using it dry. Do not dilute with water to make a shake. Use the dry mix.

Please try it!

Sorry for the omissions!

Natrushka
Mon, Jun-17-02, 13:47
Spirit, I merged the added instructions with your recipe. You have the option to go back and edit any post you create as long as you do so w/in 2 days of the orginial entry. I also moved the muffin recipe to the kitchen forum - so it's easily found for anyone searching.

Thanks for contributing :)
Nat

AlluraD
Sun, Nov-03-02, 20:07
Hi~
These muffins were amazing!!! They were wonderful.....sweet...........even my husband loved them. So fantastic to have something so yummy be legal and good for me~ These will be a definite regular for me! Thanks! :)

yossi
Tue, Nov-19-02, 23:59
hi, what is flax? where can i find it?

DebB
Fri, Dec-06-02, 03:42
Hi spirit ~ Have you posted your cauliflower salad recipe? I would love to try it - thanks! *Ü*

Bloom
Sun, Jan-12-03, 03:09
Yum Yum these are really delish :yum:

I thought the recipe seemed wrong (seemed too creamy/fatty)when making them but went along anyway and they turned out 'The Best Flax Muffins in the World' just as you said :thup:

Bamalady74
Sun, Jan-12-03, 17:21
where can I find Flax? Is this at any super market? Someone please let me know.
Bamalady74

Catmom
Sun, Jan-12-03, 17:50
Thanks for posting this recipe. At first bite I said yuck, but continued to eat the muffin and now prefer them to any of the muffin mixes. They are yummy. Sometimes, when I will be away and am concerned that I will get hungry, I pack one in my bag - so much better for me and better tasting than all those low carb bars.

penelope
Sun, Jan-12-03, 21:07
Well ,
if Allura likes them I am sure I will too.
Bamalady You find flaxseeds in Health Food Store and some Supermarkets.
Grind them in a coffee grinder.

Bloom
Mon, Jan-13-03, 02:22
Bamalady, I get flaxmeal from my local supermarket but at a couple of other places Ive had to ask cos it was hidden away in obsure corner :rolleyes:
Here in N.Z. it is called Linseed not flax but same thing. Looks like it has loads of carbs when you see the packet but most are from fibre so dont count and it helps to keep you 'regular' ;) :thup:

Val4029
Fri, Jan-31-03, 22:14
Can these be eating during induction?? I am not sure of the vanilla mix or the flax seed? Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Val

ShirleyAnn
Mon, Feb-03-03, 12:17
I just tried the flax seed muffins with all fresh ingredients and they had a very bitter taste. Any idea on what I did wrong?

nicksmom
Fri, Feb-07-03, 05:01
If I don't have the vanilla shake mix, can I sub my vanilla praline whey protein mix or perhaps chocolate shake mix?

penelope
Fri, Feb-07-03, 09:13
Yes you can . I made mine with banana protein or Chocolate protein .One time I used unflavored soya protein powder.
I like it best if I add one-cup Almond Flour “meal” to the recipe regardless of the Protein powder used.
I sometimes add 1 cup Natural Wheat Bran to the mix. If it looks too dry I throw in one more egg and some water. :)

nicksmom
Fri, Feb-07-03, 19:16
Thanks Penelope! This is on my list to make this weekend, whilst everyone else is munching on Krispy Kreme donuts! LOL

bellaluna
Sat, Feb-15-03, 22:53
Hi everybody

I just made these and must say they taste great. Does anybody find them dry though? It may just be me, prior to this woe I did not cook. Is it possible that I left them in too long and they dryed out. Is the mix tempermental that way? I only had whipping cream, could that be the problem?

Grendeldog
Sun, Feb-16-03, 17:04
Wow, these are great! I used Designer Whey's French Vanilla for the protein powder/shake mix. Surprisingly sweet, but definitely in a good way ... they weren't too sweet, and there was no significant splenda aftertaste.

Bellaluna, they seemed quite moist to me.

Catmom
Sun, Feb-23-03, 16:35
Love this recipe. To keep carbs down I have started using DaVinci vanilla syrup instead of splenda. It makes the muffins puff up a lot like popovers. Very moist and very good.

Javamama
Mon, Feb-24-03, 14:15
Hi!
I was thankful to see a recipe with flax. I bought some already ground and was not sure what to do with it. I "tweeked" your recipe, because I did not have flavored protein powder, I had plain powder. That batter seemed very dry, so I added more cream. I was not sure if the batter should have been that dry...was it? And I only added a 1/4 C. of splenda. I just ate one hot out of the oven with butter....very good! :thup: Thanks for posting that recipe. Angie :wave:

pegva
Fri, Feb-28-03, 12:53
Where do you get almond flour/meal? or do you make it?

pegva
Sat, Mar-01-03, 12:51
Okay, just made these (2 batches in fact) and they were terrific!
I made mine with Keto Orange Creme shake mix (only kind I had) and boy are they good. Can't wait to try different flavors.
My only concern is:
I put the recipe into Mastercook, the exact ingredients you had (except using orange flavor shake instead of vanilla). Mastercook tells me there are 24 gr carbs minus 7 gr fiber still leaves 17 gr. carbs!? Am I missing something??
How did you come up with 5.5 gr. carbs??

Laura-Lyn
Sun, Mar-02-03, 20:33
Catmom,
how much davinci syrup did you use to equal 1/2 cup of splenda? Did it make things too runny?

tammay
Mon, Mar-03-03, 14:14
I can't wait to try these! I've been looking for a quick breakfast that I can freeze for the rest of the week and have been dying to try flax seed meal.

One question - would any vanilla flavored protien shake mix work with this? I have a whey-based one at home which is just taking up space in my cupboard.

Tam

pegva
Mon, Mar-03-03, 14:40
I would say "YES"... any kind of shake mix, protein powder or whey powder!
As I said I even tried Orange Creme flavored Shake mix and they were GREAT!

Catmom
Thu, Mar-06-03, 10:36
On the DaVinci substitution - I substitute an equal amount of syrup for the splenda. The recipe is a bit thinner but when it cooks it becomes almost a popover in consistency - not quite as hollow as a popover but with a few pockets in the interior and very puffed up. Actually I like it better than the original recipe and it really saves in carbs.

Laura-Lyn
Thu, Mar-06-03, 13:32
lol! I was so enthusiastic about trying this that I mixed up a batch and pre-heated my oven. Only then did I realize that my boyfriend doesn't seem to own a muffin tray. I guess the batter will have to sit in the fridge while I go out muffin tray shopping.

Laura-Lyn
Mon, Mar-10-03, 12:24
Well the muffins turned out delicious. I used 1/4c davinci white chocolate syrup, 1/8c splenda, 1/8c brown sugartwin. My DH thought they had a nasty AS after-taste, but I didn't notice any. He seems to be sensitive to that taste no matter which AS I use. Oh well, at least I don't have to worry about him eating all my LC treats!

pegva
Tue, Mar-11-03, 09:25
Originally posted by Laura-Lyn
...He seems to be sensitive to that taste no matter which AS I use.

If he's like my DH, it's probably in his head... he believes if it's not real sugar... it doesn't taste right.

nicksmom
Thu, Mar-13-03, 09:51
Has anyone run these numbers thru Fitday to see how many carbs they have per serving?

Catmom
Thu, Mar-13-03, 20:10
My version with no splenda and DaVinci syrup for sweetening is 3.3 carbs per muffins of which 2.6 carbs are fiber. 190 calories per muffin. Really good too.

Kathy54
Mon, Mar-17-03, 18:46
Do you have to use a shake product? I never buy those, so, was wondering what else could I use, I'd love to make these, very soon!!
Thanks Kathy

pegva
Tue, Mar-18-03, 08:12
Use Whey Powder (original flavor)... that way you can use it for many different things... you'd just have to flavor what ever you're making... ie. cocoa, extracts, syrups, etc...

tbagram
Tue, Mar-18-03, 18:50
I agree! They are the BEST! Warm with plenty of butter. :daze: :daze: Vonnie

amazin77
Wed, Mar-19-03, 11:33
Why doesn't some people subtract the fiber to get net carbs?

Just wondering if I'm calculating safely to keep my carb range.
I would love to try an make these Flax muffins, do they freeze well?

Amazin77

pegva
Wed, Mar-19-03, 11:40
they freeze fine!

Grendeldog
Mon, Jun-16-03, 09:39
I tried a new variation of these (one of my favorite lo-carb recipes). Instead of Vanilla Extract, I used Almond extract ... after all, with all the vanilla flavored protein powder, the vanilla base should be covered!

Anyway, they turned out really well, although they seemed too sweet. To my taste, almond-flavored things always seem sweeter than vanilla flavored things. So next time around, I think I'll reduce the Splenda by 1/4 or 1/3 which will drop the carbs nicely, too.

Just another option for a terrific recipe!

Cindy007
Wed, Jun-18-03, 19:51
Wow! I made these and left out the splenda (as I'm trying to avoid it!) and they taste amazing! I used Keto Banana Cream Pie protein shake and added 4 tablespoons of walnuts..tastes like any delicious banana nut muffin! Yay!!

aznlily68
Sun, Jun-22-03, 22:15
i dont have any shake mix of protein powder.....what can i use to substitute it for?
i think i will be getting either the shake mix or protein powder soon....which should i get and which brand?

STALLQUEEN
Tue, Sep-16-03, 14:05
Ok I bought fax seed, but they are not ground, is that ok, I bought flax just to make muffins with, dam I really want to ty this.

All I have is strawberry protein powder, I will buy somwthing else I guess,

WAAAAAAAAAAAAH I WANT TO MAKE THEM NOW....

saltnpeppa
Wed, Sep-17-03, 06:20
I made them and they were good but had a very strong vegetable oil flavor (yuk). Can I use more butter (that's all I cook with)??- never oil unless I need a high flashpoint.

DeanaJane
Mon, Jan-26-04, 10:18
Oh my goodness. These were great. I used conconut sf Davinci instead of splenda, designer vanilla whey. They were so good just plain. No butter or cream cheese on them. This is my new fav muffins.

Deana

Enomarb
Sun, Feb-01-04, 09:45
Hi-
I wondered if anyone has used almond meal instead of the shake mix? Or if anyone has a recipe for an almond meal and flax muffin?

Dr.Ray
Fri, Feb-13-04, 01:06
hmmmmmm

I have ground flax meal, barley flour, wheat gluten and some of that ice cream powder, I think I have atkins shake over at the other house, this could be GOOD

and it just so happens I have a new jar of crazy richards peanut butter to de oil, thats about a 1/4 cup of oil or so, but no cream, damn the luck, can reconstituted skim milk be used in a minute amount? or just water? (I was going to use apple sauce to lose the fat, but now Im leery of the carbs, how ive changed in ONE WEEK, lol)

anyone have any ideas of what to make with the above ingredients? Im jonesin for bread!

joycelyn
Mon, Feb-16-04, 17:55
Wow! I am "Spirit" (my dog's name!)...at least that was my sign-on name over two years ago when I gave out my recipe for Flax muffins. I am thrilled to see folks using and liking this recipe. Two years later, I still eat this almost every day! Only now I bake it in a 8" round nonstick cake pan and eat it like a snack cake.

The only revisions I've made is that instead of butter I use 1/4 cup Smart Balance Buttery Spread. If you don't have this product in your area, it's a butter substitute that is higher in monounsaturated fats than saturated fats. Also, since I'm now on a diet that is more liberal with carbohydrates (The Insulin Resistance Diet) I use 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup Splenda instead of all Splenda. The difference in texture and moisture is incredible. I also now use 2 tb. oil instead of 1 1/2.

I'm so glad you all enjoy this and are making your own variations - after all, that's what good cooking is all about! Make it yours! Flax is so healthy, and what a fun way to get it!

lyzmarie
Wed, Feb-18-04, 13:57
[CENTER]These muffins sound great but i'm not a fan of Splenda. Can Stavia be used instead?

Conisu
Sat, Feb-21-04, 09:14
Ok THANK YOU so much Spirit for posting this recipe so very long ago and especially THANK YOU to those of you that have taken the time to post your results on trying the recipe. We really really must keep doing this! This is how people find out which recipes really work and which don't. I made this recipe tis morning due only to the rave reviews on this site. Even as I was making it, I kept thinking - I am not going to like this, it smells funny, the batter tastes funny, etc. Ok I know you are thinking what a baby :lol: ! But I kept on because of you dear people who had gone before! I only had flax seed, not meal, but I ground the seeds up in the blender, I used half the spenda called for, and added some davinci almond sryup, my muffin tin was missing so I put it in the small round cake pan, and put it in the oven. Again I felt confident to make these changes due to those who had posted their previous success. Well 15 mins later the timer beeped, I got out the pan, the top was golden brown and shiny. Still dubious, I cut it into 8 slices and put on some (real) butter and sat down to try it. WOW, it was great! Really, really good. It tasted some what nutty and good. I sprinkled a tiny bit of splenda on top of the melted butter and ummmm even better. Thanks again for this recipe, I am sure I will be making it over and over again.
Conisu :yay:

tracie ann
Tue, Feb-24-04, 19:08
Hello,
Well I tried these as soon as I got of the forum.....they are fantastic.
I didn't have any flax seed meal so I used wheat bran. Also used SF
Davinci vanilla syrup instead of splenda. My husband even loved them. Oh yeah and I used chocolate designer protein powder. They were nice and sweet and I almost think I will cut my syrup in half next time. I loved the texture and the fact that they weren't flat like most lc baked items. thankyou thankyou thankyou

ndhulst
Wed, Mar-03-04, 10:09
ok question...I tried these and they came out dry.
is it 1/2 stick of butter as in 1/4 cup? or 1/2 stick as in 1/2 cup? maybe this was my mistake...they had a good taste just dry not sure what happened... thanks

burgess
Fri, Apr-16-04, 12:50
Help I can not find your recipe,

I am new and would love to have your flaxseed muffin recipe.
Always when I click on your thread see only thing I get are the comments of your buddies.
Burgess

Karen D.
Fri, Apr-16-04, 18:58
Burgess,

You can find the recipe on page 1 of this thread. You're on page 4 now. Go to the bottom of the posts and click on 1.

Karen D.

sliver
Fri, Apr-16-04, 19:30
This recipe is the reason i joined this board.
I doubled the recipe and threw in a handful of chopped pecans and my husband and I love them.
He's not LC BUT he gave up the white stuff so I asked him if he would try one of these and he asked for me to put some in his lunches, he drives a truck all day and has them for a 3 pm. slump snack.
Thanks so much for posting these and I am going to try putting some pumpkin in these for him,
Sliver

Barb1130
Sat, Apr-17-04, 05:29
I purchase my flaxmeal at a super Walmart Bamalady74. It is in with all the vitamins. I have also purchased whole flax seeds in my health food store.
Hope this helps. :)

DeanaJane
Mon, Apr-19-04, 06:30
Sliver,

I've also made these with pumpkin. They taste just as wonderful. These are my fav muffins and I've tried many variations, all turn out great. I have yet to mess this recepie up.

Deana

LadyBelle
Fri, Apr-23-04, 22:00
I'm trying 4 variations on this tonight.

Var 1
1/2 cup almond DaVinci
1/4 cup carb countdown skim milk
1/4 cup smart balance light melted
1 egg
splash of vanilla extract
1.5 tbsp safflower oil
1/2 cup flax meal
1 cup wheat bran
3/4 cup designer whey vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder

Var 2
1/2 cup spice blend DaVinci
1/4 cup cc skim milk
1.5 tbsp safflower oil
1 egg
1 cup pure pumpkin puree
splash of vanilla extract
1 cup wheat bran
1/2 cup flax meal
1 tsp cinnimon
1/2 tsp baking powder

var 3
2 egg
1/2 cup coconut DaVincci
1/4 cup coconut cream melted
splash of vanilla extract (coconut or pinapple may work too)
1.5 tbsp safflower oil
1/2 cup flax meal
1 cup wheat bran
1 cup unsweetened coconut, fine shred
1/2 tsp baking powder

var 3
1 egg
1/2 cup peanut butter DaVincci
1/4 cup sour cream
splash vanilla extract
1.5 tbsp safflower oil
3/4 cup chocolate designer whey
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 cup flax meal
1 cup wheat bran
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup natural peanut butter creamy

I had to cook all of these a little longer then the sugegsted time. This also could be because I have a really crappy campus issue stove. All of them came out gooey still, but firmed up after sitting a bit and cooling. I think overall the coconut ones turned out the best. The chocolate ones were a little dry.

BlitzedAng
Sun, Sep-12-04, 13:40
I mixed some softened cream cheese and Polaner SF blackberry preserves. It's sweetened with Splenda. Was a great topper :yum:

Angel

Bronx_Guy
Sun, Oct-10-04, 06:48
Well, I have to put in my 2 cents. I'm very happy I found this recipe. These muffins are pretty good. I made it with Designer whey french vanilla and I left out the splenda. They are pretty tastey, hot with butter. Yum :)

Thanks for the terrific recipe. I plugged it all into fitday, it's crazy how gret these are. Here's to regularity!

BlitzedAng
Sun, Oct-10-04, 08:21
Try mixing in some Caramel Divinci syrup next time.. Ohh man that's good stuff.

Angel

Mumof4boys
Mon, Nov-22-04, 12:16
These muffins are great.
I used Whey Protein Powder in mine and used 1/4 cup splenda and 1/4 cup sugar twin. It was too sweet, so I think I will try 1/8 of a cup of each sugar substitute next time. I also stuck in 2 blueberries into each muffin tin before baking. UMMMMM good.
I did have one strange thing happen though. The muffins peaked really high in the middle. They looked like sombrero's. Not sure if I overmixed them or maybe put too much baking powder in them. Kids thoughs they were really funny looking.

Demi
Mon, Feb-28-05, 14:12
Made these yesterday, and they were wonderful :)

I used the DaVinci vanilla syrup instead of Splenda, and I'm going to use the caramel syrup in my next batch :thup:

Demi
Tue, Mar-01-05, 17:19
Made some more flax muffins this evening - this time I substituted the 1/2 cup of Splenda with a 1/2 cup of DaVinci Caramel syrup, used only 1/2 cup of the shake mix, but added 1/4 cup of walnuts, and added an extra egg in place of the cream. Delicious!

BlitzedAng
Fri, Mar-04-05, 07:06
I hav'nt made theese in a while.. Time to go play in the kitchen once again... Got some of those sf no SA chips to throw in this time.

Angel

teddymom1
Fri, Mar-04-05, 11:01
:yum: Made these last night and I'm hooked - they ARE the best!! :agree:
I used my chocolate whey protein powder and instead of the granular Splenda, I used half SF Chocolate Davinci and half Almond Roca Davinci. They puffed up so nice and chocolatey and I even forgot to add the melted butter!!! They still tasted terrific and I saved a few carbs & calories to boot! ;) I wanted to add a few pecans, but didn't have any on hand.
I must go to the store and pick up more of the Davinci syrups - they are so great and you can change the flavor of your muffins just by changing the syrup flavor & whey powder. I LOVE FLAX!!!!
Sue :wave:

Demi
Fri, Mar-04-05, 13:40
I think that I'm getting addicted to these :eek: :lol:

Tomorrow I'm going to make some Coffee and Walnut Flax Muffins - same recipe, but I'm planning to substitute the 1/2 cup of Splenda with a 1/4 cup of DaVinci caramel syrup and a 1/4 cup of Espresso Coffee (2 heaped tsp of coffee dissolved in 1/4 cup of water), 1/4 cup of the shake mix and 1/2 cup of walnuts.

patricia1
Fri, Mar-18-05, 18:09
Hello fellow lowcarbers, I did try this receipe and loved the flavor,

I am wondering on one thing though: My muffins did not rise??? Maybe my baking powder is outdated(Is this possible) because other than that I did everything else like mentionned, except for the splenda which I omitted entirely.

Any advise?

Patricia

Demi
Sat, Mar-19-05, 12:24
Patricia,

I usually add a tsp of baking powder rather than the half given in the recipe. I also make sure that the eggs I use are at room temperature rather than straight out of the fridge, as this can sometimes be the cause of non-rising muffins/cakes etc.

HTH :)

patricia1
Sun, Mar-20-05, 07:30
Thank you Demi, good advice. I am working on my next batch today (Sunday) so I can have them ready to go for the week morning rush! I will keep all posted on news!
~Patricia

Sapphire2
Mon, Mar-21-05, 16:05
These are absolutely the Best Flax Muffins in the world! I have to admit I was skeptical about how "great" these muffins really would be. I've tried more than one so-called great recipe, only to discover that, yep you guessed it....it wasn't so great. I'm hooked. I made mine with Carb Solutions brand chocolate shake mix; they were so chocolatey and brownie like, I felt like I was cheating. I also added 1/4 cup walnuts, 1/4 cup pecans and for some reason had to add another 1/4 cup heavy cream + 1/3 cup water because the consistancy of the batter, made according to the original recipe, was too thick to spoon into the muffin cups. Even after adding the additional liquid, the consistany of the raw batter was that of a thick brownie batter. I think next time I make them I will only use a 1/2 C. of shake mix. I guess the liquid ingredients have to be adjusted according to the brand of shake mix used.

Demi
Tue, Mar-22-05, 23:47
For those that might be interested, I made a Peanut Butter version of those wonderful flax muffins. Here's my recipe:

Peanut Butter Flax Muffins

½ cup Ground flax
½ cup Vanilla whey protein
½ cup Ground almonds
1 tsp Baking powder
3 oz (1/3 cup) Peanut Butter (slightly melted)
1 oz (1 tbsp) Melted butter
½ cup Vanilla DaVinci syrup (Peanut Butter DaVinci would be even better)
2 large eggs

Pre-heat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas 4, and then lightly grease a large 6-hole muffin pan.
Put all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl, and the wet ingredients into a small bowl or measuring jug.
Whisk the wet ingredients, and then pour into the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
Divide the mixture between the muffin pan holes and then put in the oven for 20 minutes.

Delicious :yum: - very peanut buttery, but I think that using Peanut Butter DaVinci would make them even more so. Unfortunately, I didn't have any, which is why I used the Vanilla.

PlayDoh
Sat, Mar-26-05, 13:15
:yum: thank you for the wonderful recipe

i made banana nut muffins. i didn't have davinchi banana syrup so i used almond syrup and banana extract. idf anyone can clue me in about the inconsistencies of xylitol, i'll know whether i can continue to eat them or not :lol: i'll be so bummed if i can't eat them.

here is a picture

http://www.geocities.com/duchesskyra/photopageflag3.html

they were delicious! i figure them at about three carbs each, next time i'll use less nuts to save on carbs. btw, it made eight muffins.

PlayDoh
Sat, Mar-26-05, 13:40
actually, i figured these at about 4.2 counting the 1 carb per tsp. of xylitol. if it isn't necessary for me to count it, someone please let me know. this is how i changed the recipe

i used

2 tbls splenda

7 tbls melted butter

1/2 cup of flax meal

3/4 cup designer whey french vanilla

1/2 tsp baking powder

1 large egg

1 cap of vanilla

4 caps of schilling banana extract

1/4 cup of heavy cream

1 1/2 tbls vegetable oil

1/2 cup of davinchi almond syrup

8 tsp. xylitol

the results this time were much smoother than the last time i made this and the consistency was thinner like cake batter and it smelled just like cake batter too. oh yeah, tastred like it too :lol:

they browned nicely on top and after i took the muffins out, i buttered the tops. it was delicious :D

Petrina31
Sun, Jun-05-05, 08:29
For those that might be interested, I made a Peanut Butter version of those wonderful flax muffins. Here's my recipe:

½ cup Ground flax
½ cup Ground almonds
1 tsp Baking powder
2 large eggs

Pre-heat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas 4, and then lightly grease a large 6-hole muffin pan.
Put all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl, and the wet ingredients into a small bowl or measuring jug.
Whisk the wet ingredients, and then pour into the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
Divide the mixture between the muffin pan holes and then put in the oven for 20 minutes.

Delicious :yum: - very peanut buttery, but I think that using Peanut Butter DaVinci would make them even more so. Unfortunately, I didn't have any, which is why I used the Vanilla.

I've tweaked these a bit with delicious results - once substituting walnuts for the peanut butter and banana flavored syrup for the vanilla syrup- voila banana nut muffins! And a second time, substituting cookie dough flavored syrup for the vanilla syrup and used one bar of the Carbwise dark chocolate for the peanut butter- voila - chocolate chip cookie dough flavored muffins!

I really like Demi's recipe b/c these come out with more of a muffin-like texture, rather than the popover consistency of the original recipe on this thread. I think these would have a slightly higher carb count than the original due to the almond flour, but I think the difference in taste and texture is well worth the extra net carbs.

kallyn
Sun, Nov-06-05, 18:04
Does anyone know what a good substitute would be for the shake mix/protein powder? I'm not really keen on buying any, as I have no idea what else I would use it in. Would psyllium husk work? If so, how much to get an equivalent effect as the protein powder? Thanks for any advice. I've never done LC baking before. :)

cnmLisa
Sun, Nov-06-05, 19:39
I cannot wait to make these!!!

ShayKNJ
Wed, Nov-09-05, 08:38
I made these last night. They did not rise too much and I did use 1 tsp. baking powder the egg was not quite at room temp. but not straight from the fridge. I just ate one. I put cream cheese on it and YUM! Very good.

ShayKNJ
Thu, Nov-10-05, 08:54
I made the peanut butter ones last night and used chocolate protein powder instead of vanilla and they are excellent! I just ate one for a snack.

jamba
Sun, Nov-13-05, 21:53
Can anyone tell me if the Flax Seed Muffins are legal for the induction period ????
Jamba

ShayKNJ
Thu, Nov-17-05, 14:20
Jamba-I am not sure about eating these on induction or not. Well, I know you can not have peanut butter during induction but maybe the original receipe would be OK. Hopefully someone else can answer.

I will tell you these are so addicting I eat two a day with cream cheese on them.

neela26
Sun, Dec-04-05, 16:19
Wow! These are great, a little grainy, but so good. I used 1/4 cup granular splenda and 1/4 cup davince white chocolate. Thanks for the recipe!

MissSherry
Sun, Dec-18-05, 08:29
I must have done something wrong. They were good but just sooo dry. As they cooked alot of oil came out though.

Going to try the original today...

½ cup Ground flax
½ cup Ground almonds
1 tsp Baking powder
2 large eggs

MissSherry
Mon, Dec-19-05, 09:02
had hard dry bricks :confused:

cnmLisa
Mon, Dec-19-05, 09:14
had hard dry bricks :confused:

Looking at the proportions you are using...2 eggs to 1/2 cup whey/1/2 cup almond/1/2 cup flax and 1/2 tsp baking powder

I use...
2 TBS flax/2 TBS almond/2 TBS whey with 1 egg and 1/4 Tsp baking powder

Sounds like not enough egg and not enough baking powder.

I cook mine in the micro for about 2 minutes--comes out very moist and spongey--you may want to try that also instead of the"oven"--the oven works on the principle of dry heat and may be drying the mixture out. Just a thought:roll:

Lisa

MissSherry
Mon, Dec-19-05, 09:19
:confused: I just quoted to make sure that it was known the one I tried. Even the oriinal on post 1 came out hard and dry..

neal
Wed, Jan-11-06, 12:02
Getting the ingredients was somewhat of a problem, could not find Atkins or Keto dry mix, used Nesquick vanila protein powder instead.

Wife filled the Texas size muffin cups to 1/2 and placed in oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, cups boiled over onto cookie sheet, she contined cooking another 10 minutes. Residue still in cups was not done even then.

The portion that boiled onto cookie sheet was VERY TASTY, like candy.

She will try again, perhaps in a pan so it will not have an opportunity to boil over and cut like a cake or candy.

We have no idea of what went wrong. Any suggestions?

Neal

mskllsws
Mon, Mar-20-06, 08:11
I will have to try these. From all the ravings you have posted they must be great.
Karen

ShayKNJ
Mon, Mar-20-06, 08:18
I would suggest these be made with Davinci syrup instead of dry splenda. These muffins do come out dry but I like to put cream cheese on them.

mskllsws
Tue, Mar-21-06, 16:17
I tried a modification of the recipe posted, but again modified it myself because of the postings.

1/2 c. almond flour
1/2 c. flax
1/2 c. banana DaVinci syrup
3/4 c. protein powder plain
1/4 c. walnuts
2 eggs
1/4 c. heavy cream
1/4 c. melted butter

mixed the dry ingredients. mixed the wet ingredients. combined the two and
baked 350' for 15 minutes. This mixture filled twelve muffin cups.

The recipe raised nicely. It was not sweet enough for my taste. I did put some splenda on a little cream cheese and put this on the muffin and it was just enough sweetness to make it good. Next time I make this I will increase the sweetner. I had increased the protein powder because of the cream and butter I added back to the recipe. I added these back because some complained the muffins were too dry. Then my batter looked too wet so I added the additional protein powder. Since my protein powder was not sweetened I think thi s made the difference in sweetness. This is the first time I have baked anything low carb. I had bought the almond flour and protein powder months ago and was never motivated to try anything until this line of posts. This is the first time I have had anything like a muffin in two years. I can see playing with the basic recipe really has great potential. Since I got 12 muffins from this batch just a crude eyeball to my ingredients I know this is well under 2 carbs per muffin. (flax was 6, almond meal was 6, eggs 2, protein powder 1.5, walnuts 2)

CooknCajun
Thu, Dec-28-06, 21:58
Aloha Ya'll,

I've gone through this entire thread, noting all the variations. I can't wait to try this and recommend it to fellow inhabitants of "Da Outskirts"!!!!

Mahalo plenty

CC

penelope
Thu, Dec-28-06, 22:19
Mine is:
½ cup finely ground flax
I/3 cup whey protein
1/3 cup unsweetened coconut or finely ground almonds
1 TBS sunflower seed and 1 TBS pumpkin seeds chopped
2 TBS Brown sugar Twin or a bit of Stevia
1 tsp Baking Powder
2 large eggs
2 TBS pumpkin puree (I keep it in frozen portion in the freezer) this helps the moisture.
! TBS grape seed oil or whatever oil or PB
1/3 cup da Vinci syrup in any flavor to go with spices of the week
Spices like 1 TBS cinnamon and ¼ tsp nutmeg
I pour this in a 4 cups plastic measuring cup sprayed with Pam
When I pour it in the big cup it reaches to the half mark but as it cooks you see it swell up to the top. Nuke on high on a turntable around 3 minutes
I remove it gently and tip it on a grill and let it cool. I keep it refrigerated and wrapped in plastic. This is big and I only slice a ½ inch and eat it with cream cheese and a cup of hot tea.

woodwand
Wed, Jan-03-07, 19:49
I tried your modification, mskllsws, with my own twist using chocolate Torani syrup, chocolate whey protein, 1 tbs cocoa & a few drops of Stevia Glycerite. They came out great!

I do have one question. I've seen that some nuke them. I bought a round microwave muffin pan (holds 6) at a thrift store with these muffins in mind. I chickened out at the last minute & baked them. Has anyone used these pans & if so, how long did you nuke them. I was going to start with 4 minutes. Mine does have a turn table.

Wanda

rightnow
Fri, Jan-05-07, 21:41
I've been doing extensive experimenting with this idea.

I really need a lot of protein each day so I've been struggling to get a much higher protein muffin yet still have it be tasty.

In the end, I think I've finally evolved to something that tastes fantastic -- like a cross between a muffin and a cupcake, VERY chocolatey, you could frost this and high-carbers would not question it as a cupcake (though it's just a tad less sweet than a cupcake, and more solid like a muffin) --

and it has only 1.5g net carbs, yet 12.6g protein, EACH. Which is awesome! And tons of fiber of course. And it tastes better than any other muffin along the way of the experiments. My 10 year old is nuts about them!

Here's the link to my LC journal here that has the ingredients. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost.php?p=6538113&postcount=702)

Best,
PJ

woodwand
Thu, Jan-25-07, 22:52
I nuked mine & they came out like hockey pucks. I like them baked much better.

Also tried a new variation tonight. Threw in some lemon extract, lemon peel & poppy seeds. Very good!

seesah
Wed, Feb-14-07, 21:44
Got a second batch in the oven right now & they are really good! I'm
using a mini muffin pan & it made 24 mini's. Instead of 1/2c all Splenda, I did
1/4 c Splenda & 1/4 c. DaVinci Vanilla Syrup & its plenty sweet. I also
added some LC mini chocolate chips in the batter...yum!!! :yum: I upped the
baking powder to 1 tsp too.

My boyfriend (who isn't really a Lc'er) is usually leary of trying
my low carbin' experimental recipes & he said he reallllly liked
these! :thup:

Mangaw
Thu, Feb-15-07, 01:10
OMG! I just tried these for the first time! They are terrific! :thup:

I will be trying some of the variations I've seen posted, but the original recipe was wonderful!! :yum:

I plan to make 6 dozen tomorrow :yum: :yum: (Okay, okay - just kidding) :lol:

Deb

woodwand
Thu, Feb-15-07, 18:13
Seesah, when I made a batch last week, I also threw in some LC chocolate chips & they all sank to the bottom. Still very good, though. Did you have that problem? I love this recipe and all the variations you can do with it. When I took my boss a couple (she's just starting LC) she called me on the walkie talkie & said, "Are you sure these are diet? They're delicious!"

penelope
Fri, Feb-16-07, 10:59
In a normal baking recipe adding nuts or C. Chips, you always have to coat them with dry ingredients before mixing.
I find that while not as good as doing it with unwanted flour, I do it with a bit of whey protein powder; it helps keep them afloat in the batter.

seesah
Fri, Feb-16-07, 15:01
Seesah, when I made a batch last week, I also threw in some LC chocolate chips & they all sank to the bottom. Still very good, though. Did you have that problem?

Well, actually instead of putting the chips directly in the
batter, I found out what works is that once you pour the batter
into the muffin tin, then sprinkle a few choc. chips on top &
leave them on top, so that when they get baked they end up
baking thru out the middle :D

woodwand
Fri, Feb-16-07, 18:27
Thanks to both of you for the suggestions!

seesah
Thu, Feb-22-07, 17:00
Yum! I cannot stop making these! :D ...oh...and eating
them either! :lol:

I now just used 1/2 DaVinci Syrup instead of Splenda, to
save on carbs and i stick to the 1/2tsp baking powder
that it ask for. I make them with the mini choc. chips
still & they are just divine! :yum:
They come out to about 1/2 carb per muffin (I make 24 mini's) :thup:

BetsyJ64
Sun, Feb-25-07, 14:56
OK, I just made these muffins, and all I can say is.....WHERE YA BEEN ALL MY LC LIFE?! :lol: I used a little less Splenda, and a little less flax ( I haven't gotten used to the grit of it yet!) and used Designer Whey French Vanilla. Yep, gotta confess - I licked the bowl! I ate one straight out of the oven, with butter melting on it. Definitely two big :thup: I want to read through all the other variations here, too. I'm still a little confused as to carb count, though. Anyone?

seesah
Fri, Mar-09-07, 16:01
MMMM, just made these again the other day, but I made
blueberry muffins. Since I make mine MINI muffins, I smashed
the blueberries, so that the berries wouldn't be so huge in the muffin
and the juice would mix in with the batter.
They came out awesome! :yum:
They come to about 1 carb each when i use the whole
batter to make 24 mini's & using sugar free syrups, instead of Splenda.

Can't wait make them with DaVinci sugar free Banana syrup & add
some chopped walnuts next!

fireandice
Sun, May-06-07, 08:56
Here's my version. They were moist and yummy although they could have been a little sweeter. Might be nice to warm up and add some cinnamon cream cheese to.

Next time I'll try chocolate.
1/2 c. almond flour
3/4 c. flax
1/2 c. vanilla whey protein powder (sweetend with sucralose and stevia)
1/4 c. ricotta cheese
2 large eggs
1/4 c. heavy cream
1/4 c. melted butter
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 tsp. liquid sugar twin

Mix the dry ingredients and mixed the wet ingredients. Combined and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Filled twelve muffin cups.

amy411
Fri, Jun-01-07, 13:54
made these today and OMG they were so good ! even my picky son ate one and loved it ! this will definitely be a treat at my house !

i did up the fat a bit in it. used a whole stick of butter and 2 T of oil. they were perfectly moist ! oh and i used 1/4 c splenda and 1/4 c davinci vanilla syrup.

i would encourage everyone to try these out !

yum !

Lucy F
Fri, Jul-13-07, 09:24
I have some in the oven right now. I followed the original recipe but used vanilla praline powder because it was all I had and I threw a big handful of fresh blueberries into it. (I am not on induction). I doubled the recipe since there are seven pages of raves on this recipe. I can't wait. The raw batter tasted yummy so I am hopin' the cooked ones are equally good.

seesah
Thu, Jul-26-07, 15:56
I still make these...I will never stop, haha! :D

These are a staple in my woe!!!
PERFECT for breakfast! :yum: Not just cuz they taste good, but
because its good for ya....the protein & flax.
And super low carb when you substitute the slenda
for SF DaVinci syrup! :agree:

ImOnMyWay
Sat, Aug-04-07, 12:49
just discovered this recipe this morning and decided to try it...even though it's a hot day.

I used half splenda and half Davinci coconut syrup; greased my pan with coconut oil. They are a little dry; next time I will only cook them 15 min instead of 20 (I thought 20 would be appropriate because my oven is a little slow).

Also I guess I didn't use enough oil to grease the pan because most of the muffins stuck on the bottom.

But these were good, even if they didn't look so good after I pried them out of the pan! Im eating one straight, without anything on it and it's good and filling. I don't think I can eat two.

SandyDown
Tue, Aug-07-07, 03:42
This time round of LC'ing I decided to resist cooking any baked LC foods till pre-maintenance/maintenance, just stuck to meat veg and nuts. I had no appetitie yesterday to eat anything at all, so decided to bake flax muffins, they were quite good, only am not sure what is a reasonable portion to eat? I made the muffin with 1/2 a cup of flax seeds. Has anyone reported weight stall/gain on having these? do you eat just one cup cake a day? or 1 muffin a day ?

Thanks

seesah
Wed, Aug-08-07, 20:45
Has anyone reported weight stall/gain on having these? do you eat just one cup cake a day? or 1 muffin a day ?

All the weight I've lost...I have been eating these muffins for breakfast
and at nite when I am craving something sweet.

The only thing I do different fromt the actual recipe...is...instead of
actual Splenda...I use Vanilla DaVinci sugar free syrup. It does
make it more liquidy, but...I let it sit for a minute & it thickens a lil bit more.
Plus, I notice it makes the muffins way more moist and the best part....way
less carbs!!!
OH....and I make 24 mini muffins instead of large muffins...that way I feel
I am eating more, haha!
I've added low carb chocolate chips (the ones w/no sugar alcohols) & I've
made them with blueberries(I smash 1/2c. of the berries & add then
add it to the batter, cuz anything you add to the batter, seems to sink to the bottom when
baked.)

My usual breakfast is 6-7 mini muffins & coffee! :yum: :thup:
I have never stalled...in fact, its actually helped me stay regular, haha!
(sorry TMI, hee hee!)

surrealme
Mon, Aug-27-07, 21:09
I used the basic recipe with orange-vanilla cream protein powder, lemon zest and a tiny amount of diced cranberries. (fresh unsweetened)
very nice. Next time I'll add some coconut too, or substitute coconut oil for the veg. oil.
thanx!

leaddog66
Mon, Oct-08-07, 17:41
Add me to the list of people in love with this recipe. I made 16 mini muffins with this tonight and I could have eaten every single one of them!!!

Only change I made was Optimum Nutrition Vanilla protein powder instead of Atkins mix.

chunkbutt
Mon, Oct-15-07, 08:24
Are these supposed to "rise"?? I made a batch of them and used SF devinci syrup (pumpkin), my shake mix is 50/50 (whey & soy) vanilla, I added a tsp of nutmeg & cinnamon. They taste awesome, but they are only 1.5 inches thick. Were they supposed to rise??

Please let me know...

TimesTwo
Sun, Oct-21-07, 21:18
Chunk, these are definitely supposed to rise well. Are you sure you used baking powder? Yours may be old. Make sure it's baking powder you're using and not baking soda.

LukeA
Tue, Oct-23-07, 06:47
Are these supposed to "rise"?? I made a batch of them and used SF devinci syrup (pumpkin), my shake mix is 50/50 (whey & soy) vanilla, I added a tsp of nutmeg & cinnamon. They taste awesome, but they are only 1.5 inches thick. Were they supposed to rise??

Please let me know...

Also if you stirred the batter to much it can cause the baking powder not to work quite as well.

polaris
Mon, Nov-12-07, 15:48
how much would 1 cup of splenda and 1 cup of flaxseed converted to grams be?

jeanran
Tue, Nov-13-07, 23:15
I just took these out of the oven and they are great. The only things I did differently was use carmel DaVinci syrup (what I had) and baked them in a muffin top pan. It made six.
I used Demi's recipe below. Oh, and I used Smart Balance instead of butter. I will try to find peanut butter DaVinci syrup for the next batch. If you haven't tried a 'muffin top pan' you should try it out.
Jean

½ cup Ground flax
½ cup Ground almonds
1 tsp Baking powder
2 large eggs

Delicious - very peanut buttery, but I think that using Peanut Butter DaVinci would make them even more so. Unfortunately, I didn't have any, which is why I used the Vanilla.

TimesTwo
Wed, Nov-14-07, 00:04
Last time I made these, I accidentally left out the butter. They turned out fine! I actually preferred the texture.

jdray
Tue, Nov-20-07, 11:44
I recently have tried these muffins twice. I make a double batch and then freeze them. They are terrific! I have made chocolate, blueberry and raspberry. The only thing I do different is leave out the oil. I also only use sugar free syrup and sweetfree, makes the carbs extremely low! I love these muffins!!!!!!!!

rightnow
Sun, Dec-09-07, 11:16
I'm going to try these, so I had to run the numbers anyway and thought I would post them.

http://blog.firedocs.com/rn/FlaxProteinMuffins.jpg

Your protein powder may be a different count, but I figured if I put the detail up it would be easy for people to change some element(s) without having to reinvent the wheel.

woodwand
Tue, Dec-11-07, 19:29
Thanks for that, rightnow! One question....would you add another egg, more oil or both if you were to use coconut flour so they wouldn't be dry?

Wanda

rightnow
Thu, Dec-13-07, 23:38
No idea, not my area of expertise. I'm still experimenting with various seed/nut/coconut meals. Sorry but that's worth asking elsewhere on its own thread maybe in Karen's area.

BetsyJ64
Mon, Dec-17-07, 09:04
I've been making these for awhile now and they always seem to come out different! :lol: Yesterday I used 1/2 cup DV SF Cookie Dough and omitted the butter. Never again - not sweet enough and WAY too dry. Melting a good amount of butter on them makes them barely edible! Oh and it was a different protein powder I used, too - Wegmans French Vanilla. I had always used Designer Whey Vanilla in the past. Might have something to do with the dryness too, I don't know. Live and learn, I guess! Stick with what works! :lol:

kevsmama
Fri, Jan-11-08, 21:23
Is there anything I can use instead of the whey protein-I can't find any in my area-or even within 50 miles.

livesimply
Sun, Apr-06-08, 18:04
here's a version I found a while ago somewhere--this thread is so long I hope it's not a repeat:

Flaxmeal Cinnamon Muffins

3 eggs
6 tablespoons oil
1/4 cup sugar free syrup, such as DaVinci
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup flax meal
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt

In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with a fork. Beat in oil, syrup, water and vanilla. In small bowl, combine remaining dry ingredients, then stir into egg mixture. Let stand 5 minutes. Spoon into 10 well-greased muffin cups (without papers). Bake at 350º 12-15 minutes, or until they are lightly browned and seem set to the touch. Remove from tin at once to cooling rack. Store in refrigerator.

Makes 10 muffins (2 net carb each); can also be made into 6 large muffins (3.5 NC each). Can be frozen.
These are delicious with cream cheese!!

Lickrish
Sat, Sep-13-08, 18:37
I made the original muffin in the thread earlier using some cookies and cream whey protein powder and replaced the vanilla with davinci's sf vanilla and stevia *to taste* for the sweetener. These are so good! Best use I've found for flax so far. I'll be making more. The krogers here had their Bob's flax on sale for to 1.99.

y0u
Tue, Sep-23-08, 01:57
Shirley, just a thought, flax meal can go rancid very easily and should always be refrigerated. Perhaps your flax meal has gone bad. Also the "golden" flax has a less bitter taste and is more befeficial.

Cannonball
Thu, Oct-09-08, 21:25
here's a version I found a while ago somewhere--this thread is so long I hope it's not a repeat:

Flaxmeal Cinnamon Muffins

3 eggs
6 tablespoons oil
1/4 cup sugar free syrup, such as DaVinci
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup flax meal
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt

In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with a fork. Beat in oil, syrup, water and vanilla. In small bowl, combine remaining dry ingredients, then stir into egg mixture. Let stand 5 minutes. Spoon into 10 well-greased muffin cups (without papers). Bake at 350º 12-15 minutes, or until they are lightly browned and seem set to the touch. Remove from tin at once to cooling rack. Store in refrigerator.

Makes 10 muffins (2 net carb each); can also be made into 6 large muffins (3.5 NC each). Can be frozen.
These are delicious with cream cheese!!

Wow just made them. They are Delicious I used 1/4 cup of splenda instead, but they were still really good!

lyzjnqtpy
Sat, Nov-01-08, 23:23
THESE WERE DELISH! I used co for the veggi oil and made tray of mini muffins. I used 1/4 cup blueberries and divinchi van syrup, too good. Thank you.

ames100
Wed, Jan-28-09, 16:16
can u do this recipe without the atkins vanilla shake as not so easy to come by in the uk?

Paoluccio
Sun, Mar-29-09, 07:20
Wow I just made these for breakfast and they were unbelievable. I used Chocalate peanut caramel Designer Whey protein and it was great. Thanks a lot.

Tracey71
Sat, May-02-09, 05:50
So good!!!! I'm so glad I finally made theses. What a fantastic option when I'm really craving something bread like!

pjgirl
Wed, Jun-17-09, 07:53
I followed the recipe but with two exceptions the first, due to monetary restraints, I replaced the syrup, since I did not have any, with coconut milk and added a three packets of equal (it's in the house and since I can't afford to throw it away I'm using it), and I baked them in those hi-tech-plastic-or-silicon-whatever-it's-made-of pans. The texture of the muffin was fantastic! Springy like a whole wheat muffin. It did not create that wondeful smell baked goods usually provoke but that may have to do with how I sweetened the muffins. They are not sweet. Perhaps if I had used more sugar substitute or perhaps added cheese. I took a bite with butter and it was good and then a bite with sugar free jelly (way too many carbs) and it was delicious. I won't try these for a while since I'll do induction again after next week.

Thanks for the recipe!

samina9027
Wed, Jul-08-09, 22:04
Hubby really like these muffins, he asked if I had made them or did I buy them.

I used DaVinci syrup to keep the carb count down. Added little bit more cream and butter than the recipe said because the dough was too dry .. one quick question though..... are the muffins supposed to turn out all light and soft like regualr muffins ? Mine turned out rather dense and heavy... sort of like tough cookie dough.

MyChange
Fri, Nov-13-09, 11:09
Made the original posters recipe last night and they are fab. I doubled the recipe and added shredded coconut and slivered almonds.

They were a tad on the sweet side so i may not add as much splenda next time. Also I think next time ill try the recipe without the atkins shake posted above.

Heres a pic I took (dont mind the quality or the bite ;)
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b288/Farahzlife/muffins.jpg

lowcarbjo
Thu, Feb-11-10, 20:22
mmmmm... I am going to try this recipe and maybe add some blueberries.

ImOnMyWay
Thu, Feb-11-10, 23:00
I followed the recipe but with two exceptions the first, due to monetary restraints, I replaced the syrup, since I did not have any, with coconut milk and added a three packets of equal (it's in the house and since I can't afford to throw it away I'm using it), and I baked them in those hi-tech-plastic-or-silicon-whatever-it's-made-of pans. The texture of the muffin was fantastic! Springy like a whole wheat muffin. It did not create that wondeful smell baked goods usually provoke but that may have to do with how I sweetened the muffins. They are not sweet. Perhaps if I had used more sugar substitute or perhaps added cheese. I took a bite with butter and it was good and then a bite with sugar free jelly (way too many carbs) and it was delicious. I won't try these for a while since I'll do induction again after next week.

Thanks for the recipe!

Equal loses its sweetness in baking. (Also, aspartame-sweetened sodas will lose their sweetness over time. They really should have "best-by" dates, except I expect most people drink them in a reasonable period of time.)

Use other artificial sweeteners for cooking, like Splenda, DaVinci syrup, xylitol, DiabetiSweet (isomalt+asulfame-k)

bandit
Mon, Apr-12-10, 11:56
Just made these this morning and they are delicious. Didn't put any splenda in as the whey protien powder I have has 1 carb per scoop and is quite sweet - it is called vanilla ice cream. Then was afraid they would need sweetner so used some Torani carmel syrup - made them too sweet.next time I won't put in the syrup - also got 8 muffins.

pinkclouds
Sun, Feb-05-12, 19:42
Just made these tonight and they are awesome! I used the originally posted recipe but I substituted the 1/2 cup of Splenda with sugar free almond roca syrup and topped each muffin with almonds. TASTY!!!!!

graciejean
Wed, Jul-11-12, 15:06
I want to make this muffin today,right now......

samina9027
Fri, Jul-13-12, 22:06
These turned out amazing!!! I don't miss the regular kinds after having these. I have some with butter on them and a cup of coffee for breakfast or with double thick cream for dessert.