PDA

View Full Version : Too much of something?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

chocolate
Fri, Jun-14-02, 00:25
Question time...

The book says not to eat more than 2 ounces of cheese at 1 sitting, but does that apply also to cheeses like ricotta? (150 cals, 12 protein and 3 carbs for 100g).

I found a recipe for a pudding I'm crazy for made with eggs and 150g ricotta and some bitter cocoa (total 300 cals, 24 protein, 6 carbs) which has become my breakfast.

Is that ok?

Thanks for any insight.
C.

PS This stuff is so great by the way that I'm wondering if it isn't stalling me even if it does stay within the boundaries of what to eat ... I mean, that's life isn't it?

Karen
Fri, Jun-14-02, 01:22
If you look at the bottom of the Protein Equivalency charts in PP you will see a listing for curd cheese. Ricotta falls into that category and is 7 grams of protein for 1/4 cup.

The only way to find out if something is stalling you is to stop eating it for 2 weeks and not replace it with something similar - anything creamy, artificial sweeteners or cocoa. After 2 weeks you will be able to tell if it is or not.

Karen

chocolate
Tue, Jun-18-02, 08:50
The nutritional info on the box says 12 g of protein per 100g ricotta cheese. Could it be wrong? Is all ricotta-type cheese 7g per 1/2 cup as you say do you think?

Thanks
C.

Voyajer
Thu, Jun-27-02, 14:18
Dear chocolate,

(Your name makes me have cravings)

You actually asked a trick question.

Grams are a unit of weight. Cups are a unit of volume. If something weighs 100 g, how many cups is it? That depends. If it is 100 g of lead, it will not take up much space in a cup. If it is 100 g of feathers, it may take several cups.

So you first need to measure in a measuring cup how many cups are in 100 g of your ricotta cheese. Then Karen can figure it out.