PDA

View Full Version : Which Vitamins?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jules_Diet
Wed, Jun-12-02, 01:13
Hi There

I am starting Atkins Diet today and would like to know if anyone could recommend a good allround multivitamin. I want to make sure I am getting all the goodies I need but am not into taking 20 odd pill with my breakfast.

Any advice, truely appreciated!

Jules

LittleAnne
Wed, Jun-12-02, 01:46
Hi Jules

So you are just about to start Atkins. Every success. I would recommend any good uncoated multivitamin. These can come from supermarkets, chemists, health food stores, etc. There is not a great deal of difference between them. My current ones come from Holland and Barret.

I would encourage you to take a combined multivitamin and mineral and here there are more differences. It is worth looking at what they contain and seeing what is recommended in the book.

On top of my mulitivitamin and mineral tablet I now also take extra potassium along with calcium and magnesium as over time I found that I was becoming short of these, muscle cramps etc. I have tried chromium and Q10, but these did not appear to have extra benefits. I do have cod liver oil as a capsule. Many here prefer to have flax(linseed) oil.

The British are not really a nation of pill poppers, so get a combined multivit and mineral to start with and decide on what else as you progress.

Jules_Diet
Wed, Jun-12-02, 01:52
Thanks Anne! I will head down to Holland & Barratt shortly. I just want to make sure I do this properly as all the failures I have read about seem to come from people not understanding, not taking vits & mins & trying to also make it as low fat as possible.

Anyway, I can smell my bacon cooking!!!

Thanks

Jules