PDA

View Full Version : BUIlding mucsle question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

dizzyd
Tue, Jun-11-02, 19:33
Hey there;

I'm actually just looking for (hopefully) an affirmation of my theory. Muscle burns fat, we all know that, right?

I am wondering if there is a period of time that you have to wait through where your body is building muscle before it reaches a point where there is enough to actually burn fat. And eventually, you will have built enough muscle to see the fat burning benefit, but in the mean time you could actually seem to gain weight as your muscle develops.

Does that sound logical? I hope so, because I think that may be what's been happening to me, and if it's true then I can stop being impatient about the fat burn!!!

Thanks much!

gwilson38
Tue, Jun-11-02, 19:46
I will be interested to see what others think about this aswell. I would have to say yes, lots of people will actually gain weight at 1st when lifting weights. Im not a good example of course because of the non-smoking thingy BUT i swear some of the gain is from lifting and Im hopeful it will very soon decline. When U are resistance training your muscles will retain more water, that I know for sure..lol

dizzyd
Tue, Jun-11-02, 20:11
:lol: I think I was posting in your journal when you were posting here!! Yup, I can't wait to see what the pros say. I hear ya about the no smoking thing. Kind of throws a wrench into the works, but the basic theory should be the same, I hope!!

Natrushka
Wed, Jun-12-02, 07:03
Originally posted by dizzyd
I'm actually just looking for (hopefully) an affirmation of my theory. Muscle burns fat, we all know that, right?

Yep. :)

From ExRx.net:

For individuals attempting to achieve fat loss for aesthetics, the intensity of weight training can be a double edge sword. When beginning an exercise program, muscle mass increases may out pace fat losses, resulting in a small initial weight gain . Significant fat loss requires a certain intensity, duration, and frequency that novice exercisers may not be able to achieve until they develop greater tolerance to exercise. If an exercise and nutrition program is not adequate for significant fat loss, a lighter weight with higher repetitions may be recommended to minimize any bulking effects, although less fat may be utilized hours later. If an aerobic exercise and nutrition program is sufficient enough to lose fat, a moderate repetition range with a progressively heavier weight will accelerate fat loss with a toning effect. If a muscle group ever out paces fat loss, the bulking effect is only temporary. For a toning effect, fat can be lost later when aerobic exercise can be significantly increased or the weight training exercise(s) for that particular muscle can be ceased altogether. The muscle will atrophy to a pre-exercise girth within months. Higher repetitions training may be later implemented and assessed.

The changes you see on the scale are reflective of the changes you are making to your body. You're taking flabby muscle and you're turning it into tight, heavier, dense muscle. The increase is not flab, nor is it fat. You usually lose inches while you gain these few lbs - the dense muscle is heavier, but it's tighter as well.

Keep in mind also that some of this 'gain' will be from water retention. Active muscle is muscle that has been ripped and is rebuilding, read 'inflamed'. It attracts and hold water - similar to what happens when you are injured.

Re the appetite question raised elsewhere:

3) Increase in Appetite : As your body begins to expend more energy to perform the new demands that are being placed on it, you will initially need more fuel to meet these new demands. Your body will crave more food. This part of the adaptation phase usually lasts several weeks. If you continue with your exercise program, however, you will find that with time your body will become more efficient at utilizing the fuel that you take in and eventually you will find yourself needing less and less food. It usually takes about six to eight weeks of consistent exercise for metabolic changes to begin to occur. The key, here is consistency.

I'm not sure about the 'needing less and less' fuel part, based on personal experience. Granted I am not as hungry as I was when I started this journey back in November, but I do eat more, more protein in particular.

Nat

gwilson38
Wed, Jun-12-02, 08:51
Once again your explanation does help. I surely hope my apetite diminishes some what soon cause holy cracky its hurting my bank account!! LOL

dizzyd
Wed, Jun-12-02, 18:38
I feel a lot better now. I really appreciate that. (I love being right, ain't it awful?!)

:rolleyes: