PDA

View Full Version : Oat flour muffins/biscuits

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

r.mines
Tue, Jun-11-02, 09:14
These are a bit carby, probably not suitable for induction. But I feel the need to increase carbs these days, since starting to work out more intensively. I like this recipe, because it doesn't have any soy taste, nor does it go stale immediately, like baked products made with whey.

1 c. oat flour (53 carbs)
1 tsp. baking powder (1.5 carbs)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c., soy milk, milk, cream, water, whatever (varies)
1 tbsp. oil
1 egg (.5 carbs)

Stir dry stuff together. Mix wet stuff and add to dry. Mix. Bake 15 mins. at 425. Makes 6 muffins or 6-10 drop biscuits.

Using soy milk instead of regular milk or cream, the total recipe is about 55 carbs. What I do to reduce carbs is use 1/2 c. oat flour and 1/2 c. a mixture of bran, almond flour, gluten flour, flax, psyllium, and whey powder (not necessarily all at once). This reduces the carb count to about 35 for the whole recipe.

You could probably add cheese, bacon bits, herbs, etc. Or sweetener, cinnamon, and so on. I like them plain with butter and no-sugar jam - yummy!

Maria411P
Fri, Aug-09-02, 07:12
Have you tried any other flour combos? I don't have oat flour but do you think it would work if I used 1/2 almond flour, 1/4 vital wheat gluten and 1/4 whey protein?

Do you have any other suggestions?

I would love to try these this weekend.

Thank you!

Karen
Fri, Aug-09-02, 13:01
Rachel is not around much, but I would use far less wheat gluten, maybe only one or 2 Tbsp. Remember whey protein can get very sticky too.

You can grind rolled oats in a cannister type coffee grinder to make oat flour.

Karen

VickiP
Mon, Oct-14-02, 08:46
These were great. They totally took away any type of muffin/buscuit craving. I just plopped them onto a cookie sheet and stuck them into the oven. Very easy and fast. I added to the original recipe some splenda (about 1-2 tbspns.) and some cinnamon. I loooove muffins, so these are a great replacement.
Tori