PDA

View Full Version : I am puzzled!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lou49
Fri, Jun-07-02, 07:23
I'm on day 26 of low carbing, below 40g per day, following Professor Charles Clark's New High Protein Plan (he's English and I think the book has only recently been published here, but it's 40 - 6og of carbs a day, lower end preferable, and I'm told it's similar to Barry Groves' 'Eat Fat Get Thin'. I've lost 14 lbs which is great and about one third of what I would like to lose!

Thing is, I have been treated on and off for yeast overgrowth over the past few years and my terrible carb and sugar cravings were undoubtedly making things much worse. I suspect there's still something there though, as since starting this WOE I have had bad stomach pain with 4 (yes only 4) macadamia nuts, seeds, and a can of diet Coke - all of which I have banned now.

However I've become partial to cheese which I never really ate much before because of its being fermented and so on. It still sometimes gives me stomach ache - not very bad and I do take lactase supplement before eating it.

If I give up cheese how will I get in the fat which is supposed to be so necessary in this WOE? I do sometimes have a drop of cream in my (one) daily cup of coffee, I have a bit of mayo, but I am concerned about slipping into a high protein low fat WOE which isn't the way to do it and will bring my cravings for carbs right back - I know from experience! I'm supplementing with a multivitamin, potassium, calcium, magnesium and L Glutamine.

Would appreciate any advice. Don't want to restart any candida supplements as I feel better without them!!

Thanks a million Louise
:

momhmschl2
Sat, Jun-08-02, 05:51
Louise,
You said you don't want to use candida supplements because you feel better without them. Is that because you were experiencing the yeast die-off reaction? I know what you mean about the cheese. I always limited myself being on a low fat diet, then when I began Atkins was thrilled to be able to have cheese again. Unfortunately I discovered this candida thread and researched the links at the top of this forum and found I was going to have to limit more food. I have also found that after eating yogurt and sometimes pumpkin seeds I get a stomach ache. I don't think I am dairy intolerant, so I am not sure what the cause may be. I'm sorry I couldn't be of much help. Maybe someone with more experience can help you out. I am just planning to start treatment on Monday.

lou49
Sat, Jun-08-02, 07:19
Thanks for your reply. No, I don't think the problem was the die-off reaction on the anti-candida treatment. I have tried various kinds over the years and I'm familiar with the conventional Nystatin route (by far and away the worst for die-off IMHO) and alternative holistic methods. Actually they did help but I'm better off leaving things well alone!

Regarding the cheese, I think I will just keep experimenting and see. I love grated mozzarella which you can buy ready grated in packets here, sometimes that's OK sometimes it's not, and had some good Philadelphia cream cheese which seemed to be OK but then again, next time who knows? Good luck on your upcoming treatment!

Louise