PDA

View Full Version : Do you know anything about quinoa?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Dandi
Sun, Jun-02-02, 18:02
I read that quinoa is not a grain, that it is a fruit. And that it is very good for a person.

Does anyone know more about it? Does it fit with the paleo WOE or not?

Dandi

razzle
Mon, Jun-03-02, 06:56
I have had it and do know some stuff about it. It's a South American grain, and I believe introduced into the human diet on the order of 3000 years ago.

Why it's "good for you" (meaning, usually, good for vegetarians or better for people than a slice of white bread) is that it is the highest protein grain out there and a whole grain, too.

Its taste is described as "nutty" but I found it very bitter, even after pre-soaking.

A search for "quinoa" on any internet search engine would get you more (and more accurate!) info.

Dandi
Mon, Jun-03-02, 11:15
Thanks razzle,
I did look on the Net. Most places called it a grain. The one site denied that. If it is a grain, then it wouldn't go with paleo WOE but a fruit would. And a fruit could be high protein, avocado is.

I'll keep looking for more info on this.

Dandi