PDA

View Full Version : Scared to ask...has anyone tried LFat/LCal for a week, then back to Induction?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

In_Control
Sun, Jun-02-02, 08:05
I'm down right scared to ask this question. I hope no one will bash me for asking. But...I'm thinking of taking Mr. Atkins up on something I read in the DANR book. He states that you can switch to a LOW FAT/CALORIE diet for a week or so, then switch back to INDUCTION and supposedly get similar results as the first time.

I am losing so there really isn't a "so-called" stalled. I've lost 5 pounds in 4 weeks. This is where I may get bashed... I just want to lose a little faster.

I know! I shouldn't care how fast I lose, I should concentrate on my new WOL and feel good that I'm making a change and losing, however slow it is. I know that. But, I still think I could lose a little faster than 1.25 pounds / week! I mean, I weigh 221 pounds!!!!! I'm not 10 pounds from goal! I want to lose AT LEAST 2 POUNDS PER WEEK! I know, I'm terrible! But I want to boost my program into high gear.

Has anyone ever tried the LOW FAT/CALORIE diet for a week or so, then switched back to induction? If so, what was your experience? Would you do it again?

I definitely feel that I could stay in control switching "temporarily" to the Low fat/calorie diet. I don't plan on eating ANY SUGAR at all. I love that SUGAR has been eliminated from my diet and system and I don't want to sabatoge that. Thanks for your help in advance.

In_Control
Sun, Jun-02-02, 08:28
That's what Dr Atkins calles it...the "reversal diet." It's mentioned on page 286 of the DANDR book as a solution for people in my position, with a slow down in weight loss. I think I fit into that category.

Natrushka
Sun, Jun-02-02, 09:13
Rachel did a "reveral diet" back in the Fall when she was truly stalled - weeks with no inches or scale loss. It is fully documented in her Journal (r.mines) if you're interested. As I recall the results were less than spectacular, but she did do a lot of research and homework for those interested in following in her footsteps.

My thoughts here; consistency is very important for continued fat loss. Mixing things up when your body could very well be in the process of getting used to LC eating could be dangerous. We'd all like faster results. Unfortunately our bodies are in control, as much as we would like to think otherwise.

Nat

Karen
Sun, Jun-02-02, 09:43
Unfortunately our bodies are in control, as much as we would like to think otherwise.

I actually think it's quite fortunate that our bodies are in control. It gives us an opportunity to learn how to work with our bodies, rather than against them.

Which brings me to wonder, are you getting enough food and enough vegetables and water? I checked your journal but there wasn't enough information there to give you any advice.

Remember that low-carbing is long term. If you develop good eating habits right from the start and embrace low-carbing as a lifestyle instead of a diet and learn more about yourself and your relationship to your body and to the food you eat and work on any issues you have surrounding behaviors, addictions and the way you think about yourself...

...you'll be much further ahead than someone who is hopping on and off diets hoping for the quick miracle fix.

Karen

razzle
Sun, Jun-02-02, 10:02
you're not terrible. you're just human.

I went through such a phase and I'm grateful I'm out of it now. All I can do is echo the advice above about patience and letting your body do the thinking for you.

I can also tell you that when I tried a CKD --cyclical ketogenic diet--that involves carbing up one day per week, I regained weight that I have never lost back...and it's been almost a year since I did that. I had been losing at a pound per week before that. I've never gotten back to the weight that I was at when I started the CKD (though I'm in the same clothes).
If it ain't broke, don't fix it...I wish I could go back and tell myself that. All I can do, tho, is tell you. ;)

In_Control
Sun, Jun-02-02, 10:14
THanks for the info everyone! I guess I'm wondering if I should try the KISS version of ATkins. I wonder if that would be more advantageous than the reversal diet?

Truly I just want to lose about 10 more pounds in about a month....then I could handle the slow rate I've had. I think? I mean, may be I'll never like this slow process. I have a good 95 pounds more to lose and that means the year 2004 before I probably see that. Realistically. Especially since I want to try to get pregnant this fall.

How truly depresssssssinnnnnnnggggggg! I mean, uhhhhh! :(
:baby:

Karen
Sun, Jun-02-02, 15:29
Sure. KISS is low-carbing at it's finest, but what have you been eating and drinking? You may not even be low-carbing properly or have been a yo-yo dieter or be on medications.

Don't start taking desperate actions until you know that you have done everything possible to low-carb in a way that works for you.

Karen

mbschlgr
Tue, Jun-04-02, 11:10
I would hang in there if I were you.

Your body is adjusting, and you will begin to lose again. You may say that you will be able to regain control, but I've seen it too many times where most of us can't!

You come this far, and like all of us, didn't put the weight on overnight, it isn't going to come off overnight either.

This is a WOL not a diet.

TX_Mama
Tue, Jun-04-02, 16:40
I can relate to everything you are feeling and contemplating. I tried a LC rotation diet I found on this site. It was an experiment alternating 4 different types of LC plans. All it did was make me appreciate my "regular" plan. The fat fast and lean fast days were miserable with a capital "M". Before you do anything, make sure you are ready to face hunger pangs.

Deisel10
Wed, Jun-05-02, 19:33
I have found that a "Fat Fast" is like dieting while abiding by the LC WOE.

I dropped 10 pounds in 2 weeks. I then couldn't stand it any longer, but it never came back on, because when I came off the fat fast, I just went back to LCing.

What I did was what I called The Wade Boggs diet.....Chicken. I went to the Aldi's and bought 6 bags of boneless skinless chicken breasts. After work I would grill up 3 or 4 chicken breasts, coating them liberally with some Jack Daniels Mesquite grilling sauce. I usually could finish them off. I was stuffed. I would also have a very large spinach salad topped with some "Light Done Right" dressing.

I also found 2 perfect foods. Philadelphia Free Cream Cheese & Heilman's Mayo in the green label. 2 grams of fat coupled with 2 grams of carbs. No Fat Minimal Carbs! So I can keep the fat grams down and still top some chicken breasts with a little mayo. I also ate more Tuna salad than ever. I can put 3 cans in a bowl and eat it all. Salmon, Turkey, Shrimp, other fish.

Weight just fell off me.

Hey!!! I'm stoked for another run at the fat fast. I love grilling chicken breasts and smothering them with The green Tabasco sauce.

Can't comment about counting calories, but the fat fast was effective for me.

Deisel10

In_Control
Wed, Jun-05-02, 19:48
Gosh, great info Diesel!!! Thanks!

CONGRATULATIONS on a job WELL DONE too! :thup:

And thanks for all the ideas on how to make it successful too. With Karen's help I realized that my current menu is too full of things that are slowing me down. (i.e., Keto shakes and cheese) I love the idea of the fat fast because then I'm still Lcing. I really don't want to break out of the LC WOE. My birthday is coming up in a few weeks and I truly cannot think of a better present to myself than to lose 10 pounds! Not to mention but my hubby's bday is the day after mine.

Turning another year older is tough enough. But dropping some weight will turn my frown :( into a great big smile. :)

I'd love to hear how your 2nd fat fast goes. If you're planning it soon maybe we could do it together?

Thanks again! I love this forum!

Deisel10
Thu, Jun-06-02, 04:43
Let's do it!

I want to drop this weight. I don't want to take 1oo years to do it.

Cheese was the ruin of all good things past. I would put cheese on everything, and gained weight.

I'm going to stock up on supplies today. Chicken breasts, tuna steaks, salmon, and shrimp.

New idea: Tartar Sauce made with the ultra light mayo. Life is Good.

Let's drop 10 before your birthday!

Natrushka
Thu, Jun-06-02, 06:49
Originally posted by Deisel10
Let's drop 10 before your birthday!

You can do that by tomorrow if losing weight is all you're interested in. Just lob off an arm.

Nat

razzle
Thu, Jun-06-02, 07:11
Hmm, I'd say losing weight (not fat, btw, but weight--muscle mass, bone mass, and worse) through extreme methods is only a "job well done" if the intended "job" was to risk one's health.

Slow weight loss is permanent weight loss. Anything over 1.5-2 pounds per week (after the initialy water/glycogen loss in any "diet") is seriously injurious to health and will inevitably lead to an eventual weight rebound.

mbschlgr
Thu, Jun-06-02, 07:22
I'm with raz and nat on this one!!

This doesn't sound healthy to me, either of mind or body...

I haven't moved the scale for almost 2 weeks, but refuse to change my WOE just for a fast loss. This is a WOL for me, for health!!! I will lose, it will jsut take longer, but it will stay off. :D

A body will never get use to how it is supposed to be if you keep changing it or shocking it.

Oh and another thing, the "lite" stuff has more carbs in it than regular, so to sacrifice the fat, you are adding the carbs. I have read the Fat Fast section of the Atkins book, but if I am not mistaken it doesn't mean to fast from fat, it means to add fat in a very high proportion or am I waaaaaaaay wrong here?? I don't have it in from of me so I can't check... :confused:

In_Control
Thu, Jun-06-02, 10:49
I knew the "negative" reactions where inevitable. And ... I agree with what was said by the way. Except the elimination of a limb...although I understand the point.

One of the reasons I love this forum is because most of us are interested in making a change in our lives! Not just for the temporary fix, but for the long haul. That truly describes me perfectly. I want to find a solution and make it part of my life! I think I'm on my way to that end.

However, for me I believe that there's nothing wrong with trying new twists and turns in my plan to boost it into high gear. I see nothing wrong with even "temporarily" going for the big WHOOSH from time to time. The fat fast is certainly not something I intend to do ALL of the time. In fact. I see it only as something I would do may be 2 may be 3 weeks out of the 52 weeks in a year.

Having periods where I push myself even harder than before actually energizes me and gives me more belief in myself. More belief in my ability to stay in control. It motivates me to stay on track. Whether I make a goal to walk longer, drink more water, eliminate a possible danger food, or try a fat fast --- I am empowered that I am making a change. I believe that I am learning and becoming stronger and more in control of my health. And I don't see that 2 - 3 weeks a year, whatever I do, will damage my heath.

Having said all that I want to say thanks for the advice. Again, that's why I love this forum. If I'm wrong about the fat fast...I'll let you know how RIGHT you were!!!!!! And I'll add some wisdom to my new WOE/WOL program.

But Diesel this sounds great and if it works, I'm IN!!! I just need a trip to the store. I think tomorrow is the day to give it a try. I'm not sure how long I can do it. But my goal is a week. From what you've described, I think it will not be that hard for me. Your menu's sound delicious! I'll have to see what good stuff I can find at the stores here too. Let me know when you plan to start OKAY?

Elihnig
Thu, Jun-06-02, 11:39
The fat fast should not be done for more than 5 days, (it is deficient in protein and you would lose lean muscle mass) I believe Dr. Atkins says. It is for people who cannot lose on a regular low carb diet, they would fat fast to lose weight and do regular Atkins in order to maintain that loss. The fat fast consists of 1000 calories which is about 90% fat, I believe. (I don't have my book at work.) Foods used for the fat fast mentioned are cream cheese and macademia nuts.

I would say try two weeks of strict Atkins (20 grams of carbs from green veggies/salad) with no unallowed foods, just natural ones that are on the induction list, and cut out dairy in all forms. Drink an extra 25 oz. of water per day above what you are currently drinking. Make sure you take supplements, including a multivitamin, a potassium supplement, and a calcium/magnesium supplement. Sip flax oil off a spoon if you can stand it. Don't be afraid to use butter and olive oil, use a bunch of it! Don't cut calories, and don't eat 5000. Find the right balance for you about 10-12 times your current weight in calories.

If, after two weeks of clean low carbing, you feel you're weight loss is not spectacular enough (say 2 pounds per week), then maybe try a fat fat for one day a week, and continue with the strict low carb plan for the other 6 days of the week for two more weeks.

Many people have a dairy intollerance, probably as many have a problem with wheat. If the cavemen didn't eat it, then we shouldn't. (In most cases.)

There is no magic cure if you want to keep your health. This way of eating is probably at the height of healthy eating as far human development has found to date.

Take advantage (and I don't mean the bars!)

Elihnig

In_Control
Thu, Jun-06-02, 14:18
I shouldn't have called it a fat fast. Diesel called it "the Wade Boggs" diet. It's obviously very different.

Thanks for the info on the fat fast.

razzle
Thu, Jun-06-02, 16:17
this board does not support severe, self-abusive, unhealthy methods of weight loss. Just to be clear--these are your choices, were not supported or recommended by any mentor or administrator here. Any illness that results is not our responsibility.

I recommend anyone considering this first see a counselor about your body image and eating disorder issues; then see your MD. If they say it's a great idea, it's certainly your right to do so.

mbschlgr
Thu, Jun-06-02, 16:28
this board does not support severe, self-abusive, unhealthy methods of weight loss.

Well Put Raz!

Until people understand that LCing is a WOL, not a fast fix just to lose weight... it won't work for them.

It is a healthy lifestyle with the added benefit of weightloss

In_Control
Thu, Jun-06-02, 18:29
I went back to Diesel's original post about the wade boggs diet and I just don't see it. I don't see a "severe" dieting strategy. All it is is High Protein, low fat ... eat lots of stuff like chicken (good for you), spinach (good for you), tuna (good for you), ... stuff. There is no starvation, low calorie or binging and purging. All of which are "severe."

I can see the "legal" response however.

But, I just don't see anything that is severe or unhealthy. I see a "short-term" Low Carb strategy which is what Atkin's Induction, Fat Fast and KISSing are about. Strategies of LCing to induce weightloss.

I did see a desire to lose 10 pounds. Gosh, truth be known I want to lose about 95 pounds in 2 weeks. Not going to happen. I know that. And I probably won't lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks ... but hey "REACH FOR THE IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE THE POSSIBLE HAPPEN." And , without a dream, there is NO reason to try at all.

So forgive me, I truly don't mean to sound confrontational ... but I'm just confused by your message razz. :confused: :confused: :confused:

And as far as an eating disorder - - - Although I've never purged or starved myself, I definitely have that! I wouldn't be here if I didn't.

Deisel10
Thu, Jun-06-02, 21:59
In Control,

We'll call it our version of the Wade Boggs diet. Boggs is a baseball hall of famer who ate a lot of chicken. His wife had 21 different recipes for chicken so he went 3 weeks without seeing it cooked again.

I don't think we'll be lacking in protein by eating chicken, tuna, salmon, spinach, eggs, for a week or so.

Gee Whiz. The Low Carb Thought Police descended on me pretty quick here. Is it a requirement to be in Lock-Step confority here?

Isn't the book called "The Adkins Diet "?

tamarian
Thu, Jun-06-02, 22:11
Guys, it's not about what you do in a week to shake up your routine or the like, many of us do it all the time, and it's part of some LC plans.

But whenever you start talking about 10 lbs/ week or whatever too ambitious numbers, you are bound to raise some concerns from other members who have "been there, done that", and all the eating disorder alarms will go off.

Wa'il

Deisel10
Thu, Jun-06-02, 22:19
I read "most" of the Adkins Diet book 2 years ago. My memory told me that a Fat Fast "kick started a stall". It was to lower the fat intake while also keeping the carbs low too.

If I was incorrect on the terminology, sorry.

D10

Karen
Fri, Jun-07-02, 01:02
But whenever you start talking about 10 lbs/ week or whatever too ambitious numbers, you are bound to raise some concerns from other members who have "been there, done that", and all the eating disorder alarms will go off.

What also raises concerns is when people all over the forum are wondering why they are not making the progress they think they should and are resorting to all sorts of desperate measures. Before going off in search of the Holy Weight Loss Grail, check over this list.

1. Are you low-carbing cleanly? Working your plan in it's purest form? Or, are you eating all kinds of low-carb junk?

2. Do you have a history of yo-yo dieting? Are you on any medications?

3. Are you stressed? And you probably are if you are resorting to desperate measures.

4. Are you comparing yourself to others. Are you obsessive about weighing or the colour of Ketostix?

5. Do you regularly drink alcohol?

6. Are you trying to do a low fat version of your chosen plan?

7. Are you consuming any or all of these items on a regular basis?

Processed meats, including bacon
Caffeine
Cheese and dairy products
Alcohol - alcohol will be burned for fuel before fat
Nuts & Nut Butters
Artificial Sweeteners
Diet Drinks
Protein Bars
Low carb food products that imitate high carb food
Overly salty foods? For example pork rinds?

8. Are you eating enough and drinking enough water?

9. Have you started weight training recently?

I know it's easy to get sucked into what seems to be the next best thing, but what most people really need is to take a deep breath, honestly assess where they are, listen to their bodies, learn to change their behaviors and attitude and to low-carb cleanly. The stance we take is that low-carb be taken on as a way of life. So the choice is between a thoughtful and all encompassing method or a lifetime series of quick fixes.

Karen

In_Control
Fri, Jun-07-02, 05:52
Oh my gosh, Diesel. I just noticed what you listed next to PLAN in your stats. I'm dying here. Toooooo funny. Lotta chicken plan. I don't know why .... but I got a great big happy chuckle from that. :D :D :D

And thanks so much Karen and Wa'il for your replys on what went wrong on this thread. I was truly shocked by the words severe and unhealthy. I mean, personally I think 90% plus "all" fat (Atkins Fat Fast) for 5 days is pretty severe...heck, more severe than the Lotta chicken plan. But I understand your point.

Karen you have a great way of explaining things. You are truly an inspiring LCer to follow. Razzle is impressive too. I mean both of you are almost there and sticking with it. You've definitely set the example of persistence and the fact that all of this is going to take some time.

I don't think anyone here meant to set off the "severe strategy" or "unhealthy" bells. And I certainly apologize for whatever role I played.

I wish I could send you a private message diesel. You need to post a bunch of stuff so your private messaging will be activated. I'd like to keep updating each other here about our progress, but I need to know if that's a problem for our fellow forum members. If not, its fine with me to post my progress here.

Thanks again. Sorry for the lengthy messages.

Deisel10
Fri, Jun-07-02, 07:30
No, I think the beating we'd receive by posting here, would be more unhealthy than anything we could eat.

In_Control, let's try using Diesel's journal. This thread is off my radar going forward.

D10

Deb
Fri, Jun-07-02, 07:53
i think you're sounding a little bit judgemental of those who expressed opinions. Possibly you think those opinions were judgmental of your position. It's unfortunate that tempers can flare when we feel attacked but please don't tar the entire board with the same brush if you disagree with something. Let a calm head and heart prevail and try to think that everyone here has others best interests at heart. This board is not here to administer beatings(a little harsh don't you think?) but to express opinions and provide support.

No one is trying to chase you away. they just want you to be careful with your choices because many have been burned themselves in one way or another.

We are all here because we care about each other and want each other to succeed. what you decide ultimately is up to you, but please don't let one disagreement ruin your determination to get to your goal.

sincerely, Deb

mbschlgr
Fri, Jun-07-02, 08:06
I agree Deb.

One additional point to add,

I was under the assumption that a question for advice/opinions was made. When advice/opinions were given and they wer not of a nature that agreed with what the asker was, they got upset. Well, if you are seeking advice/opinions you need to learn to accept the answers or don't ask !

tamarian
Fri, Jun-07-02, 10:41
I read "most" of the Adkins Diet book 2 years ago. My memory told me that a Fat Fast "kick started a stall". It was to lower the fat intake while also keeping the carbs low too.

Jeff,

That's another alarm going off, you didn't read the book, or read it wrong.

As a guy, you may find it easier to lose lots of weight faster. But you'll be losing fat and muscle by going low-fat, ask any body builder.

So let's say you're at 250 lbs, with 35% fat, you could reach 150 lbs, and still be 35% as well, if not more fat. So it's good to read the fine print, and find out about the way low-carbing works on body composition, not just weight-loss.

Wa'il

Deisel10
Fri, Jun-07-02, 12:44
OK! I'll take it.

I'll take the chubby 150 over the chubby 250 anyday! So would you.

I guess the bottom line of my argument would be...would a prudent person think that filling up on an extra chicken breast or salmon steak would be much preferrable to curing the hunger pains with pounds of Cream Cheese and/or a bag of Pork Rinds.

The Kraft "Lite Done Right" Brand of Salad Dressing, from memory (innaccurate but close) said per serving 2-5 g fat and 4-10 g carb per serving. A healthy dose of that on top of a extra large Spinach Salad sounds pretty normal and not too extreme. A regular salad made from let's say Iceburg lettuce, which would equate to eating sawdust with dressing, has no nutritional value, thus the fresh spinach.

Thanks for the input! Maybe a big Salmon Steak on the grill is the ticket for tonights feast.

J

tamarian
Fri, Jun-07-02, 13:39
I'll take the chubby 150 over the chubby 250 anyday! So would you.

Umm, speak for yourself, Jeff :)

I won't take either. I have started bodybuilding, gained 20+ lbs, and lost 5% of body fat in a month or so. With may extra 25 lbs, I have dropped from my tight 44" jeans to a comfortable 38".

Being fixated on the scale, would make you happy wearing a few sizes larger, being flabby, and boast about losing 10 lbs/week, while your health deteriorate, losing muscles, and jeapordizing your metabolism. It's your choice, but it's othing worth boasting about.

[bI guess the bottom line of my argument would be...would a prudent person think that filling up on an extra chicken breast or salmon steak would be much preferrable to curing the hunger pains with pounds of Cream Cheese and/or a bag of Pork Rinds. [/b]

No, it's not prudent at all! Neither 100% protein, nor 100% fat make any sense, even when both approached cause weight loss.

100% of either one will cause weight loss, doesn't make any of them healthy.

Both fat and protein play vital roles in your hormon balance, and aiding fat loss instead of weigh-loss.

Wa'il

Deisel10
Fri, Jun-07-02, 14:04
Wa'il

I never said anything about 100% of either. It's virtually impossible (sort of, maybe) to eliminate entirely the fat and carbs, that is unless when is spending 10 times the amount of time I have to be stuck in the kitchen.

Let me ask a question, please. I am 5' 9" and 250 pounds. According to the vast amount of knowledge you have acquired on this subject, approximately how many grams of fat would you say is close to target as per the Low Carbing Plans to Lose weight?

Jeff

In_Control
Fri, Jun-07-02, 14:05

tamarian
Fri, Jun-07-02, 14:20

Let me ask a question, please. I am 5' 9" and 250 pounds. According to the vast amount of knowledge you have acquired on this subject, approximately how many grams of fat would you say is close to target as per the Low Carbing Plans to Lose weight?

Good question. Before answering, I'd like to know about your body composition, as the macronutrient requirements do not depend on your weight or hight (BMI), but rather on your lean body mass (LBM).

Have you checked your body fat calculation? If not, give me your waist and wrist measurements, and I'll run it through the PP tables or other sources of rough estimates.

Wa'il

tamarian
Fri, Jun-07-02, 14:22
Originally posted by In_Control
I never intended to have all this going off.

I thought I'd expressed my appreciation to all for the info. I will say it again; that is why I LOVE this forum! I truly admire so many who have been doing this WOL for sometime now. I learn everyday from coming here.

I don't know much about who "runs" or moderates all this. But, hopefully we can just delete this thread and start over with more positive things.

I think all of us read and post for inspiration and motivation not to get into a brawl or say nasty things to each other.

So PLEASE everyone forgive me for asking the WRONG question! PLEASE ERASE IT! PLEASE. Whatever happens I do not plan on posting here any longer. I only intended positive things ... not all this.

I actually find the discussion quite educational. There's nothing wrong with healthy discussion or debate. If you find any specific post in this thread offensive, simply click on the "Report this post to a moderator".

Wa'il

Deisel10
Fri, Jun-07-02, 14:50
Question,

Measuring the waist from where?

I'm in 42" trousers. But the inner-tube has to be, ugh, more than 42".

Wrists, where?

Thanks!!!

tamarian
Fri, Jun-07-02, 14:57
Measuring the waist from where?

I'm in 42" trousers. But the inner-tube has to be, ugh, more than 42".

Wrists, where?

Best place for measuring the waist is at the naval level, it may give a couple inches more than trousers' size. If you get different readings, make sure your measring tape can go freely (but closely) up and down from midesection to above the hips to get the best accurate reading. As for the wrist, it is best taken from the wrist bone where your hand bends. If your wrists differ in size, add both readings and devide by two.

Wa'il

Marlaine
Sat, Jun-08-02, 21:58

No, the Fat Fast is NOT to lower fat...rather the exact opposite. From the most recent edition (January 2002) of DANDR (Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution), Page 272:

I gave it the name "Fat Fast" because it contained virtually no food except for fat.

Marlaine

Deisel10
Sun, Jun-09-02, 11:19

tamarian
Sun, Jun-09-02, 14:06
To Fast = go without food.

Fat Fast = go with all fat.

Makes sense to me.

Actually, it doesn't make that much of a sense if you look at it this way without any conjugation..

However, the term itself occupies an entire section in Atkins (which you say you have read?), and that's how it is explained. So, using it the opposite way would confuse those of us who have read the book.

It's not about who should cry uncle, nor is it worth the sarcasm, if the term is explained exactly as the author who coined the term intended it., rather than the opposite way.

Wa'il

Deisel10
Sun, Jun-09-02, 17:07

gkeenan
Sun, Mar-23-03, 21:28
I've done this, the problem is that you will put on the weight you just took off and then take it off again...did this for an entire year, same 10lbs.

Gail

Pat S.
Mon, Mar-24-03, 13:53
I think your weight loss is right in there and really to keep the weight off you have to lose it slowly after induction is over. We really put our poor bodies through so much they need to take it at their own pace to keep us healthy. I am at a stage where I seem to like to lose and gain the same 3 pounds I have been here before more than once and always fell off.(Not This Time) it isn't worth it to start tweeking my WOE everytime I did it was just to hard to get back on track. I wish you luck if you can do it I know I sure can't. :wave: Pat S

goddessgrl
Mon, Apr-07-03, 10:53
Hey, I haven't low cal/low fatted for a week, but instead I did it for 1.5 months...and I mean REALLY low carb, low fat - medically supervised with b12 shots and everything. I lost 14 pounds in two weeks...by the third week I was losing only 1 or two pounds a week...eating PLAIN BORING foods and only 500 cals a day!!! By the fifth week my hair was falling out and I was feeling like hell.

By the sixth week, I came back to LC. I am vain, I like my hair. I am hungry and I like my food too :)

I am bloated now but have only gained a 1/2 pound. I am not sweating it, I likely screwed up my metabolism BIG TIME with the low fat, low cal plan. I am back with LC and realize it is likely just a matter of a period of re-adjustment. My body is not quite used to actually being able to eat FOOD.

Stick with it and think long term instead of numbers on the scale. Numbers lie. If you FEEL great, then that is half way to healthy!!! :)

Crista

tiredmama3
Wed, May-26-04, 09:40
I have been alternating between atkins induction for a few days to a week, then watching my fat intake and still not eating so many carbs like eating only non sugar cereal and only eating whole wheat bread and still no sugar or flour. I've been doing this for over a month now and have lost 9 lbs in all. I find it easier because I know realistically that I cannot go without bread or cereal forever. I just wanted you to know that it can work, and I am happy because I am not depriving myself of things I like to eat for too long.

cyndilindi
Thu, May-27-04, 13:55
I'm new here to the post, but I have been low-carbin for 2 years. I have lost 100 lbs and still have about 40 to go. I heard mention of the KISS on Atkins diet and the Fat Fast. Could someone please explain?

Red

yoda_san
Thu, May-27-04, 15:20
I remember KISS used to mean "keep it simple stupid".

ooh, found this link on this board:

http://www.geocities.com/lajenner/KISS.html

and

here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=178718

JACO1974
Fri, May-28-04, 10:34
Why do people questions others methods? If it works for them whats the big deal? Its not your body is it. Thats the only thing I don't like about a lot of these boards. The Atkins dieters get so defensive when anyone doesn't do the norm, or doesn't follow the plan exactly as they see fit. As with anything in life, to each his own. My GF would eat low fat when there where on LC options. She has dropped 20 pounds easy.

Jason

Hellistile
Fri, May-28-04, 10:56
Jason not everyone has the same ideal conditions that your GF may have. A lot of us are older, heavier, have complex medical conditions and are not low-carbing so much to loose weight as to regain our health. Younger, healthier people have a tendency to loose weight a lot faster and with less difficulty as a general rule on most plans.

RoseTattoo
Fri, May-28-04, 11:15
I've done a lot of alternating--low carb, low fat, high cal and low cal days, etc. Sometimes the body needs to be shaken up a bit. I don't see anything wrong with trying different approaches and seeing what works for the time being. :)

FromVA
Sun, May-30-04, 18:59
Take a look at the date on the original post. Then take a look at the poster's "profile". She would probably been better off if she had taken the advice so kindly offered by those who had "been there, done that". Can't imagine why this was in the war zone because the advice (asked for) given was constructive but not well received.

yoda_san
Tue, Jun-01-04, 07:33
Its too bad about any "hurt" feelings but these discussions do generate some good info for the rest of us. Everytime I read one these threads I think I learn something. :D

My biggest concern about people trying new things is that they may not have given their current method adequate time before moving on to something else. I think we have to give our bodies enough time to adjust.

FromVA
Tue, Jun-01-04, 07:57
I absolutely agree with the above post. I always "lurk" in the war zone because of the excellent info posted.

I also agree that too many folks expect too much too fast. I wish Dr. A hadn't called his plan a "diet", although many would probably have passed it by without a look if he hadn't. If you stick to it and give it long enough, it works. (Maybe not for everyone, but for most.)

EnufIsEnuf
Wed, Jun-09-04, 15:22
You're right Mary, it's like 5 200 cal feedings a day, 90% fat.

lowcarb62
Wed, Jun-23-04, 18:56
Though it sounds logical, be careful. Two things i've heard: protein is hard on the kidneys, so drink plenty of water and protein in the absence of carbs can be metabolized as carbs, which is to be avioded. What works great for me is to count calories and carbs at the same time. There's no way you won't lose doing this!!

SucraPhobe
Sun, Jul-11-04, 15:12
I have found that a "Fat Fast" is like dieting while abiding by the LC WOE.

What I did was what I called The Wade Boggs diet.....Chicken. I went to the Aldi's and bought 6 bags of boneless skinless chicken breasts. After work I would grill up 3 or 4 chicken breasts, coating them liberally with some Jack Daniels Mesquite grilling sauce. I usually could finish them off. I was stuffed. I would also have a very large spinach salad topped with some "Light Done Right" dressing.

I also found 2 perfect foods. Philadelphia Free Cream Cheese & Heilman's Mayo in the green label. 2 grams of fat coupled with 2 grams of carbs. No Fat Minimal Carbs!

A fat fast, as described by Dr. Atkins, is about eating 1000 calories a day MOSTLY of fat (90% of the calories come from fat)... what you did seems more like a protein fast... I mean, if you cut down on both carbs and fat, what is left is protein. A mostly protein diet is a terrible idea, b/c 60% of protein is metabolized as carb (according to Dr. Atkins).

SucraPhobe
Sun, Jul-11-04, 15:20
I'm down right scared to ask this question. I hope no one will bash me for asking. But...I'm thinking of taking Mr. Atkins up on something I read in the DANR book. He states that you can switch to a LOW FAT/CALORIE diet for a week or so, then switch back to INDUCTION and supposedly get similar results as the first time.

Has anyone ever tried the LOW FAT/CALORIE diet for a week or so, then switched back to induction? If so, what was your experience? Would you do it again?

I do not recall Dr. Atkins ever recommending a low fat diet... but you seem to be mixing up low calories with low fat... why?

It is perfectly alright to do a high fat -- low calorie diet... in fact, that is exactly what Dr. Atkins calls a "fat fast"... it does NOT mean low fat... the opposite.... it is a diet in which you intake 1000 cals/day, but 90% of the cals come from fat... it's in chapter 20 of DANDR... recommended foods are macadamia nuts, cream cheese, and other high-fat /low-carb foods.

jimjam
Tue, Jul-13-04, 09:03
I absolutley LOVE low fat/ low cal. Everytime I hit a plateau, I use this method and it never fails to break it. Plus I get some vital nutrients in the process. :)