PDA

View Full Version : Gone for a week. Fighting cravings!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bluesky
Fri, May-31-02, 10:06
I was so surprised to see all the action under my old thread! Sorry to hear that SP didn't work for some people, but so far it works for me so I'll keep going.
I'm finishing up week four and man it's been a tough one! I don't know if I've been feeling lazy about preparing healthy food (it's SO easy to pour a bowl of cereal & milk, OR eat cookies) but I'm officially blaming it on PMS. And I'm fighting those cravings like crazy. I'm hopeful that next week will be easier. Meanwhile I'm going to eat Splenda sweetened cheesecake until this passes!
What helps you all during those bad times of cravings?

DewTal
Mon, Jun-03-02, 14:00
Hello bluesky and welcome,

I hear you about PMS and cravings. Even though it's gotten MUCH better since I began the SP plan, I still find it difficult sometimes. This is mainly because my sister is doing Carb Addicts and with her reward meal, she gets to eat all that sweet stuff that's usually not allowed when low-carbing. So we have snacks and ice cream etc. in the house, not a whole lot but it's there! It's especially tough when we're sitting in front of the TV and she pulls out her chocolate & yogurt covered raisins or her ice cream cups!

But seriously, my suggestion is this: What is your favorite low-carb thing? Nuts? The Splenda-sweetened cheesecake? Fruit (erm, not low-carb in itself but allowed in small doses...). Etc. Go ahead and have it, but try to a) abstain from pigging out, and b) eat with a protein/fat/veggies to level out the insulin effect. Also, very important to drink a lot of water and have regular meals. If you feel you need more snacks at PMS time then go ahead and eat, but if you make sure you've got protein/veggies/fat each time then it'll help control how much carb you eat.

Hang in there! The carb cravings get easier to resist, although during PMS I'm not sure they ever go away completely (not with me anyhow!).

HTH,

Tal :wave:

mmoranmic
Mon, Jun-03-02, 15:55
Hi,
For my PMS cravings I commit a Schwarzbein sin and eat sugar free jello and pork rinds! I suppose it's better than sugar. I also eat bee pollen and take vitamin B complex. Good luck getting back on track! Talk to ya soon.
Maureen