PDA

View Full Version : 'Biggest Loser': Uproar as winner appears 'too thin' at 105 pounds

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Judynyc
Wed, Feb-05-14, 16:46
'Biggest Loser': Uproar as winner appears 'too thin' at 105 pounds

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-biggest-loser-rachel-frederickson-too-skinny-20140205,0,4321687.story#ixzz2sUSV3BsF

By Rene Lynch
February 5, 2014, 4:34 a.m.

Rachel Frederickson, 24, of Los Angeles won the Season 15 title of "The Biggest Loser" and the $250,000 grand prize, but promptly sparked criticism from viewers who say the show went too far by allowing the former competitive swimmer to diet her way down to 105 pounds.

Frederickson started the competition at 260 pounds and lost 155 pounds, or 59.62% of her body weight.

When the voice-over artist first walked on stage at the finale of NBC's reality weight-loss TV show, she did so to oohs and ahhs. She was wearing a diaphanous silver dress that skimmed her new figure and all but signaled that victory would soon be hers.

But as she came into sharper view, it was clear that Frederickson was dramatically thinner than the last time viewers saw her, winning "The Biggest Loser" triathlon.

The cameras turned to trainers Bob Harper and Jillian Michael, who seemed to be clapping in slow motion as they looked her over, their eyes appearing to reflect surprise at her appearance. (See the third image in the photo gallery above, a TV screen grab that is making the rounds on social media.)

Frederickson came into the show with a heartbreaking backstory. She was a competitive high school swimmer who gave up a full college scholarship to follow her boyfriend to Europe. The relationship ended, and Frederickson came home full of regrets and ate to tamp down her sorrows.

She said she gained more than 100 pounds and had trouble recognizing herself in the mirror.

Earlier in the season, Frederickson said that winning the show would allow her to reclaim the champion within and embrace an empowered new future. Week after week in the weight-loss competition, she proved what a fierce competitor she was and was all but destined for a spot in the finale.

Frederickson is slated to speak to the media Wednesday morning during a conference call, and will no doubt be asked about her weight.

Regardless, the finale is sure to add fuel to the show's critics who question the safety of the measures it uses and the ethics of grueling weight-loss regimens as entertainment.

In the meantime, many viewers have taken to Twitter to express their fears that Frederickson has become too thin, and to call on the show and the network to address concerns that the weight loss was too extreme:

Not everyone agreed, however, as some social media pundits noted that Frederickson was in it to win the game and will now be able to put a little weight back on, as many past contestants have done. Still others praised her transformation.

Debate over Frederickson's appearance seems to have overshadowed -- at least for the moment -- the stellar transformations of many of the other competitors, including "American Idol" winner Ruben Studdard, who took to the stage to show off his sleek new physique and his new single. (He lost 119 pounds, or 25.76% of his body weight.)

Other top performers included David Brown and Bobby Saleem, the two finalists vying with Frederickson for the top prize. They lost 54.28% and 52.51% of their body weight, respectively, far less than Frederickson. The winner of the at-home prize was Tumi Oguntala, 41, of New York, who started the show at 319 pounds and lost 175 pounds, or 54.86% of her body weight, to end the show at 144 pounds.

WereBear
Wed, Feb-05-14, 16:51
I forgot this show is still on. It's one of my least favorite reality shows... a genre I don't like in general.

Don't like 90% of the contestants gain back all the weight?

mojolissa
Wed, Feb-05-14, 17:58
I think the women who weighed around 160 at the finale looked awesome! The winner just looked awful! The show should take some flak for that.

chinacat
Wed, Feb-05-14, 18:12
Too fat.... too thin. Everyone has an opinion

It's her life and she was competing for $250k
Hopefully she'll now balance out at what she deems a healthy weight for herself and maintain
Because isn't that what we all want???
Perhaps she'll join a "maintainers" group ;)

It's easy to point the finger at someone else....
I say, I wish her all the luck!!!!

LosingMe16
Wed, Feb-05-14, 20:51
There's a lot of controversy with this show because, as some former contestants have come out saying, they often use crazy sorts of strategies before weigh-ins to quickly lose pounds.

http://theashleysrealityroundup.com/2013/01/25/former-biggest-loser-contestant-blasts-show-more-biggest-losers-gain-their-weight-back/

The Ashley has personally interviewed many of the show’s former contestants, many of which admit to using extreme weight loss tactics in order to keep the weight off (and lose more weight) for the season finale, including dehydration, saunas and starvation diets.

2thinchix
Wed, Feb-05-14, 21:39
I can believe it. I did stupid things just to way lower at my weekly "TOPS" meeting. Can't imagine what it would be like with that much money on the line! I sure hope this girls only got that thin to win and will gain back a bit now - she looks much too thin,and I know that dieting (especially in someone who is already using food as a "medication") can lead to eating disorders!

Alocin75
Thu, Feb-06-14, 01:14
I just finished watching this tonight. It was sad to see Rachel so thin and gaunt looking, whether she got that low just to win or if she has developed a different type of eating disorder, (I believe over eating is just as much a disorder as anorexia,) it was disheartening.

In the episode before the finale, she looked awesome, so fit and healthy. She inspired me the way she won the triathlon. I truly hope she finds her way back to that weight or close to it.

mojolissa
Thu, Feb-06-14, 06:48
I just finished watching this tonight. It was sad to see Rachel so thin and gaunt looking, whether she got that low just to win or if she has developed a different type of eating disorder, (I believe over eating is just as much a disorder as anorexia,) it was disheartening.

In the episode before the finale, she looked awesome, so fit and healthy. She inspired me the way she won the triathlon. I truly hope she finds her way back to that weight or close to it.

I agree with you. Bob and Jillian looked concerned for her.

WereBear
Thu, Feb-06-14, 07:09
If she was a high level athlete, competitive is baked right in. "So, losing the most weight means I win? Watch me."

HappyLC
Thu, Feb-06-14, 07:59
I just saw this on Good Morning America. She lost all that weight in 4 1/2 months. :eek:

teaser
Thu, Feb-06-14, 08:05
Put in her position, for $250 000? I'd do it.

MandalayVA
Thu, Feb-06-14, 12:33
I remember reading that one of the earlier winners gained back almost 40 pounds just going back to normal water drinking. Bodybuilders are notorious for dehydrating themselves before competitions.

This woman looks pretty small-boned, but 105 still seems to be a very low weight. I remember years ago seeing Susan Lucci (Erica Kane on All My Children) filming a scene in New York. That's when I found out that it's true that TV does add weight--I've never seen anyone so thin. I have small hands but I swear I could have encircled her upper arm with my thumb and middle finger.

Bonnie OFS
Thu, Feb-06-14, 22:32
Bodybuilders are notorious for dehydrating themselves before competitions.

I saw a high school wrestler spit into the drinking fountain and told him that wasn't nice. He said the wrestling coach told them to spit a lot to keep their weight down. Craziest thing I've ever heard!

redmountai
Fri, Feb-07-14, 00:29
The show is setting unrealistic concepts for weight loss. Exercising for 6 to 8 hours a day until you throw up and pass out is not a healthy thing and sets a bad example for at home viewers. The winner appeared anorexic to me. She probably starved herself near the end to win that prize. She appeared to have lost her muscle tone.

Using Rachael's win as an example, somebody could enter the show at 350 pounds, starve themselves to 90 or 85 pounds just to win the big bucks, then gain some back. Yo-yo is not healthy at all.

Turtle2003
Fri, Feb-07-14, 01:12
Funny, I've often wondered what I could do if there were a money prize for losing weight. If only a crazy billionaire would come along and offer me a fortune for losing the pounds. :lol: