PDA

View Full Version : Let them eat cake for breakfast? The latest fad in dieting

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Demi
Fri, Jan-31-14, 03:33
From The Guardian
Lodon, UK
30 January, 2014

Let them eat cake for breakfast? The latest fad in dieting

How we consume is a measure of our wider fears and securities. What does the Marie Antoinette Diet tell us about ourselves?

Dieting is boring. Doing it, talking about it, calculating the maths. Hearing other people's diet stories is rivalled only by hearing about their dreams for sheer conversational agony. Eat the muffin, don't eat the muffin; but while we stand here in line at Starbucks, do we have to have a three-act play about whether or not you're going to eat the muffin?

The psychodrama of whether or not to eat the muffin isn't trivial to the dieter, of course, and it's in this space – between boredom and despair – that the diet industry lives and exploits us. Every year, it dumps another January publication schedule of ridiculous titles on a pliant marketplace, depressed by having "failed" at the previous year's regime.

It's funny how absurd these things look on first viewing, and how quickly they get absorbed by the culture. Do you remember how, in 2010, when the New York Times Style Section ran that first trend piece about the Paleo diet, everyone mocked it for going so far beyond parody that it threatened to service another trend piece by actually spelling the death of something?

This January, there are at least four straight-faced Paleo cookbooks in the diet section of the bookstore (Paleo for Beginners (http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Beginners-Essentials-Started-Diet-ebook/dp/B009GULWLG), 40 Top Paleo Recipes (http://www.amazon.com/40-Top-Paleo-Recipes-Paleolithic-ebook/dp/B00CGBYVTW), The Paleo Diet Revised (http://www.amazon.com/The-Paleo-Diet-Revised-Designed/dp/0470913029) and, leaving no stone unturned, Paleo Dessert Recipes (http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Dessert-Recipes-Easy-Delicious-ebook/dp/B007TO6MJS)), and the word has been almost entirely stripped of its ridiculousness.

Its place in the life-cycle – as a repository for scorn that somehow props up the legitimacy of the entire system – has been filled by something else that will, for a short while, be considered even more ludicrous, until it is itself replaced next January. There's a metaphor in here about capitalism that I can't quite fish out, but never mind. What a bumper year for new diet books it is!

How we consume is a measure of our wider fears and securities and in the last couple of years, popular diets have centred around re-workings of the traditional model of cutting something out, the gimmick in this case being entire food groups, sometimes under the auspices of allergies, with liberal use of the word "intolerance" and triggering fight-backs from those food industries most affected – wheat (http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/09/the-grain-foods-foundation-fights-back/) and dairy (http://consumerist.com/2012/12/12/dairy-industry-worried-that-the-answer-to-got-milk-these-days-is-nope/) in particular.

This year, recessionary diet plans centering on denial seem, at a marketing level at least, to have given way to what might be called indulgence-based programmes. If the Paleo diet restricts you to things you could only find in the Stone Age, this year's over-correction comes in the form of the treat-yourself diet, wherein you put back all the stuff you've been told to avoid. (Spoiler alert! The trick is in portion control).

It is, as ever, Oprah's lifestyle guru Deepak Chopra who lays the broad, cultural bones of this shift with a book called What Are You Hungry For (http://www.amazon.com/What-Are-You-Hungry-For/dp/0770437214)? in which he suggests that we are asking ourselves the wrong questions. To wit: not what should I eat, or how much of it, but "what are you hungry for? Food? Love? Self-esteem? Peace?" The suggestion, writes Chopra, is that "weight loss based on a deeper awareness of why people overeat (http://www.chopra.com/ccl/new-book-from-deepak-what-are-you-hungry-for)" is more effective than the metrics of calorie counting.

This is not insane. Weight is often a symptom (http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/16/exploring-the-links-between-depression-and-weight-gain/) not a cause of unhappiness, and there are good health reasons (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/health/02brod.html) for taking the holistic mind/body approach.

There are also good marketing reasons. Step forward the Marie Antoinette Diet (http://www.amazon.com/The-Marie-Antoinette-Diet-Weight/dp/0957106653), published this month, in which you are invited to be "inspired by Marie Antoinette's eating habits," in particular, "a recipe for the health-boosting 'wonder' soup that the queen ate for dinner every evening."

It's not about the soup, obviously. As the book blurb has it, "the French queen ate cake for breakfast and was fond of hot chocolate, but seems to have known instinctively what scientific studies have recently shown: for example, it is not what you eat, but when you eat it." This is not, you'll be surprised to hear, written by Andy Borowitz or Craig Brown but by Karen Wheeler, a fashion and beauty journalist who lives in France and found herself, while reading a biography of the French queen, wondering just how far she could run with the let-them-eat-cake trope.

This is how far: "Why eating cake for breakfast promotes weight loss."

It makes the claims of The No Excuses Diet by Jonathan Roche (http://www.amazon.com/The-No-Excuses-Diet-Anti-Diet/dp/1482603322), published last week and promising weight loss "without dieting and without long workouts!" (by helping you "identify what truly motivates you") look positively restrained.

There are good philosophical underpinnings to some of this, and you could probably write a lively university thesis entitled All Good Diets are Anti-Diets. Research suggests that it is the smaller, attainable goals (http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/lose_wt/behavior.htm) that reward, rather than radical changes that may prove unsustainable.

The problem is that a large part of the diet industry would like you to fail and come back next year for more. The best-seller lists know us too well – our lack of attention span, our need to be teased and bullied into a regimen – and reward us with built-in obsolescence.

The cycle of weight loss and gain that characterizes most individual diets, applies to the industry as a whole. You bought Atkins (http://www.atkins.com/Home.aspx), you failed at Atkins and now, here it is, the title you've been waiting for, published this month and announcing a new chapter in the whole sorry cycle: Mirsad Hasic's Atkins Diet Mistakes You Wish You Knew (http://www.amazon.com/Atkins-Diet-Mistakes-Wish-Knew-ebook/dp/B00EOZ59MQ).

If that isn't having your cake and eating it, I don't know what is.http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/emma-brockes-blog/2014/jan/30/let-them-eat-cake-for-breakfast

teaser
Fri, Jan-31-14, 06:26
Muffin=cake. Pancakes=cake. Donuts=cake. Breakfast bars=very crappy cake. Somehow, cakes themselves are forbidden for breakfast. As long as they're made with fortified wheat, they're roughly as nutritious of that other "acceptable" crud.

kitann
Fri, Jan-31-14, 08:48
Muffin=cake. Pancakes=cake. Donuts=cake. Breakfast bars=very crappy cake. Somehow, cakes themselves are forbidden for breakfast. As long as they're made with fortified wheat, they're roughly as nutritious of that other "acceptable" crud.Well said! Most of us have been eating "cake for breakfast" for years and thinking it was good for us.

keith v
Fri, Jan-31-14, 09:13
I heard a comedian talk about how you arnt allowed to have cake for breakfast...

Basically , Cake? Are you crazy? You can't have cake for breakfast!
You going to have these nutritious pancakes with maple syrup for breakfast young man and like it!

Bob-a-rama
Fri, Jan-31-14, 09:42
My father ate cake for breakfast, donuts, sweet rolls, and so on, something made with wheat and sugar. He died from complications of diabetes.

Eat cake for breakfast sounds like it will sell a lot of books and make the authors and the promoters (Chopra, Oz, Winfrey or whomever) a lot of money at the expense of a lot of people.

The first thing people have to realize is that at least 90% of all media (that includes TV, Radio, Newspapers and other periodicals) are advertising media, disguised as entertainment, news, and educational media.

The TV, Radio, Newspaper, and Magazines are telling you what is good for them, and NOT what is good for you. And I'm not just talking about the ads. The content itself is full of subliminal advertising, which to some people is more effective than overt ads, to others just set up the mind so the actual ads hit home quicker.

So whether it is an actor sipping a pepsi or eating a little debbie cake, or a newsman telling you political lies (they call themselves "presstitutes"), or a doctor promoting a product or a celebrity pushing a diet book, the thing to ask is "Cui Bono?" (To whose befnefit). Follow the money and you will find out who is profiting from your attention and shrinking the membranes in your wallet.

Once you realize that absolutely everything you see or read in the media is either an overt or covert ad, and you ask and answer "Cui bono?" it will have less power over you. I didn't say no power, but less.

There will be thousands or even millions of people who buy the book, the author, publisher, and pushers will get rich, and people will be disappointed, some will harm their health, and all would have wasted money.

Nix the sugar and gluten and be healthier for it.

Bob

Nancy LC
Fri, Jan-31-14, 09:49
Hey, low carbers eat cheesecake for breakfast. :)

MandalayVA
Fri, Jan-31-14, 09:55
The problem is that a large part of the diet industry would like you to fail and come back next year for more. The best-seller lists know us too well – our lack of attention span, our need to be teased and bullied into a regimen – and reward us with built-in obsolescence.

Hi, and welcome to the whole point of the article. It's not OOOH LOOK NEW CAKE DIET. It's "people don't want to change and will gladly shell out for a way to, quite literally, have their cake and eat it too." You can see it here--after main dishes the most populated part of the recipe section is "sweet treats."

Nancy LC
Fri, Jan-31-14, 10:55
Hell yeah! I tried the one diet some author proposed where you are supposed to not restrict your food, because in making thing off limits, you increase your cravings (supposedly).

LOL! Yeah... that so didn't work.

WereBear
Fri, Jan-31-14, 11:43
Hey, low carbers eat cheesecake for breakfast. :)

Quoted for love!

teaser
Fri, Jan-31-14, 14:03
The difference between eggs and some cream cheese and nuts for breakfast, and a cheese cake can be as little as a couple of packets of splenda. I don't see the problem. It's just like cake vs toast and jam, with a little butter if you're lucky--same nutrition, different presentation. Except there, the nutrition sucks. Some people might have a problem where sweetness in and of itself derails their efforts to eat a healthy diet, but I don't think that's everybody.

Nancy LC
Fri, Jan-31-14, 14:15
Oh yeah, I think LC cheesecake is perfectly acceptable as long as it is also gluten free. :D

That reminds me, gotta make one for the BF.

Cleome
Fri, Jan-31-14, 14:26
I heard a comedian talk about how you arnt allowed to have cake for breakfast...
Bill Cosby, monologue on making breakfast (http://www.icomedytv.com/Comedy-Videos/ID/975/Bill-Cosby-Chocolate-cake-with-transcript-0927.aspx): The first one down was the four-year-old. The child looked lovely. Cute little face, clean. Hair in little braids, little things, you know. "Good morn', Daddy." And I said, "What do you want for breakfast!?" The four-year-old has the ability to see through and find the wrong thing. The child saw through my body what was behind me. She saw the chocolate cake. She said, "Can I have the chocolate cake?" And I said, "Chocolate cake, where?" She said, "Chocolate cake behind you." And I looked... and there was chocolate cake! The child wanted chocolate cake for breakfast! How ridiculous! And I said... and someone in my brain looked under chocolate cake and saw the ingredients: eggs! Eggs are in chocolate cake! And milk! Oh goody! And wheat! That's nutrition! "What do you want?" "Can I have some chocolate cake?" "Chocolate cake coming up."

Thanks for the memory.

Deciduous
Fri, Jan-31-14, 15:23
Jim Gaffigan too:

Cake is the true symbol of gluttony. If you eat a whole pizza, people think 'wow he was hungry'. If you eat a whole cake, people think 'jeeze, he has a problem'.

It's not like drinking. You can't say "Yeah I had 4 pieces of cake last night." why would you say that? "I just want you to know I partied."

You know we try to disguise the fact we're eating cake "Hmmmm I cant have cake right now... I'll have a muffin!" There is no difference between a muffin and cake. A muffin is a bald cupcake!

And pancakes, how did that slide through? "Young man you're not having cake for breakfast! You're having fried cake with syrup on top for breakfast."

M Levac
Fri, Jan-31-14, 15:28
Let them eat grains for breakfast.

teaser
Fri, Jan-31-14, 15:33
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19545583

This study lies somewhere between the folk-wisdom of "don't eat that, you'll ruin your appetite for dinner" and "there's always room for dessert."

Eating what you like induces a stronger decrease of 'wanting' to eat.
Lemmens SG, Schoffelen PF, Wouters L, Born JM, Martens MJ, Rutters F, Westerterp-Plantenga MS.
Author information
Abstract
Human eating behavior may be influenced non-homeostatically by the rewarding value of foods, i.e. 'liking' (pleasure/palatability) and 'wanting' (incentive motivation). The objectives of this study were to validate a computer test for assessment of rewarding value of food, and to assess how rewarding value of food is affected by eating a dessert-specific (chocolate mousse, CM) vs. dessert non-specific, neutral food item (cottage cheese, CC). Seventy-three subjects (47f/26m, age 27.8+/-10.0 y, BMI 24.1+/-3.3 kg/m(2)), studied in a randomized cross-over design, came to the university twice, fasted. A computer test was developed to determine rewarding value, i.e. 'liking' and 'wanting', for 72 items divided in six categories (bread, filling, drinks, dessert, sweets, stationery). 'Liking' was measured by indicating relative preference of paired items (within/between categories), 'wanting' by working to earn items to choose from. Subjects completed the computer test before and after consumption of CM/CC, matched for energy content (5.6 kJ/g) and daily energy requirements (10%). 'Liking' and 'wanting' scores of all fasted subjects on the two test-days showed 62-73% reproducibility. CM was liked more than CC (p<0.001). Consumption of CM decreased 'wanting' for bread, filling, drinks and dessert (p<0.03). Consumption of CC decreased 'wanting' for bread only (p<0.05). Contrary to CC, CM decreased relative 'liking' for the dessert category (p<0.001). In conclusion, the computer test for measurement of 'liking' and 'wanting' is sufficiently valid. Eating a highly liked food item induces a more distinct decrease in 'wanting' for food items in general and category-specific 'liking', than eating a sufficiently liked neutral food item.

M Levac
Fri, Jan-31-14, 15:58
Teaser, I had already come across that phenomenon in another experiment I can't remember right now. But what I took from it is that indulgence is OK for several reasons, one of which is it decreases cravings, therefore increases our "willpower" to resist those things and instead eat something we believe is better for our health. For example, if our goal is to eat low-carb for most of the time, then a few indulgences once in a while will allow us to stick to low-carb most of the time better than if we never indulged. In the LC booklet I wrote, I included a rule based on this idea.

In the end, it doesn't really change the big picture or the facts, but it does change our perception of those indulgence. If we allow indulgence to begin with, then when we do indulge, it's OK and we don't suffer the moral consequences. But if we forbid indulgence from the start, when we do indulge it won't be OK and we will see this as a failure. This is another idea I could call matching one's goal to one's ability to reach it, as opposed to trying to achieve a goal regardless of one's ability. In the golf lessons I wrote (WIP), that's one of the ideas on which I base a few drills and exercises. It wouldn't do to set a very difficult goal for a beginner, only to see this player fail every time (and conversely it wouldn't do to set a very easy goal for an expert, only to see this player stagnate for lack of a challenge, but this doesn't really apply to LC). Finally, this goal is movable. You can move it either way to match your current ability so that you always "win" even if, say, you're feeling like crap for a few days, or you just won a Nobel, or your kid got an A+ in math. The point is to avoid momentary failure, so that it does not lead to permanent failure (it's too hard, I quit), and instead leads to a more permanent success. Think of it as taking the moral obligations out of the dietary equation. Ironically, I had to do that when I first went all-meat.

Bonnie OFS
Fri, Jan-31-14, 18:05
Jim Gaffigan too:

A muffin is a bald cupcake!

:D Love it!

s-piper
Fri, Jan-31-14, 18:42
Ha! And they say the Paleo diet is inaccurate to the time!

Eating cake is okay as long as it's for breakfast and Marie Antionette knew this, huh?
Apparently she was the only one because her husband and sisters in law were known to be fat.
More like she was one of those lucky people, and wore corsets!

Not to mention she died at 37, and even if she hadn't been executed she wouldn't have lasted much longer than that because during the time leading up her trip to the guillotine it's been recorded she was bleeding profusely from uterine cancer.
Yeah she had it all figured out!

Bob-a-rama
Sat, Feb-01-14, 08:13
I knew a woman who was on the popcorn diet. She could eat as much popcorn as she wanted, but nothing else. She actually lost weight.

But I hate to think about what all the insulin that was required to process the fructose was doing to her circulatory system including that of the heart and kidneys.

And I've had some good low-carb cheesecake and it's probably as healthy as a fat bomb anyway.

But when I think of having cake for breakfast, in my mind I see people scarfing up chocolate cake with chocolate icing and chocolate chips stuck to the icing, or white cake with vanilla frosting, donuts covered with powdered sugar, or pancakes soaked in imitation maple syrup, or Ho Hos, or Ding Dongs, or Devil Dogs, or Twinkies.

So, let them eat cake, I'll pass thank you.

And Oprah, Deepak, Wheeler, her publisher and whoever else is making a fortune on the diet (including Big Med) will get fat with cash while the dieters get fat.

At least that's the way I see it.

It's a great way to sell books, I wish I was that creative ;)

Bob

teaser
Sat, Feb-01-14, 09:19
I hope she was taking a multi-vitamin. Pellegra sucks.