PDA

View Full Version : Can anti-smoking tactics solve obesity crisis?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Demi
Sat, Jan-18-14, 02:45
From BBC News
London, UK
18 January, 2014

Can anti-smoking tactics solve obesity crisis?

New guidelines from the National Obesity Forum (http://www.nationalobesityforum.org.uk) suggest using "harder hitting" anti-obesity campaigns, akin to anti-tobacco campaigns, in the UK. The debate about whether to treat obesity like smoking is one that has played out in the US, with researchers still searching for the most effective way to improve health outcomes.

As former smoker, Dan Gilmore realised the power of stark works and images in changing his behaviour.

"Somewhere along the line, people said, 'Would you please go outside and smoke,' or, 'I've got an allergy to smoking.' You started to feel societal pressure," says Gilmore, president emeritus of the Hastings Institute, a centre devoted to bioethics and public policy.

The in-your-face smoking campaigns of the past, he says, effectively convinced people both that their actions bothered others and posed grave danger to themselves.

When it comes to obesity, he says, "the public has not as thoroughly been terrorised."

But he's yet to find the right balance of "light stigma" to help motivate people without alienating them.

Alienation is a big risk when it comes to anti-obesity campaigns. Research shows those initiatives that make people feel bad about themselves tend to backfire.

"Campaigns that focus primarily on body weight, or the number on the scale, or used hard-hitting controversial approaches to get attention were messages that tended to blame or stigmatise people for their weight," says Rebecca Puhl, deputy director at the Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity at Yale University. "Those were not found to be effective,"

"People are more responsive to campaigns that address specific health behaviour that people can engage in regardless of their body type."

Indeed, one ex-smoker and ex-dieter says there is already a level of stigma around weight.

"People wouldn't openly sneer at me because I was a smoker, but they do that because I'm fat," says Lesley Kinzel, senior editor at XOJane.com and author of Two Whole Cakes: How to Stop Dieting and Learn to Love Your Body.

And yet, she says, it's more difficult to pinpoint those who may suffer from obesity-related illnesses than it is to identify smokers.

"People want to associate certain behaviour with fatness, but in real life fat people exhibit a wide range of different behaviour in regards to their eating habits and physical activity. If you're a smoker, it's because you smoke cigarettes."

The many complex factors surrounding obesity, and the fact that obesity itself is not a behaviour but a state of being, makes comparing the two types of campaigns difficult, says Scott Kahan, director of the National Center for Weight and Wellness.

At the same time, he says, there are lessons to be learned from anti-smoking campaigns.

"Sometimes people fall into the trap of looking back at the anti-tobacco effort and say, 'What we did was shame people into not smoking, and did hard-hitting campaigns of not smoking,'" says Mr Kahan,

"But that's not the central part of what we did with the tobacco epidemic."

What proved successful in the US was a complex, multi-faceted approach, he says.

"Smoking was addressed from the top down and bottom up," he says.

"On the one hand there was education."

This came in the form of public awareness campaigns, the surgeon general's report outlining the dangers of smoking, and increased educational initiatives in schools and the work place.

On the other, he says, were changes that created "supportive environments to make it easier to not start smoking or to stop smoking," he says.

This included higher taxes on cigarettes, restrictions on how the products could be marketed and sold, and the creation of more smoke-free areas, such as in restaurants and bars.

Indeed, Kinzel stopped smoking when the expense and hassles of smoking began to mount. "At a certain point it became too inconvenient," she says.

While the US has seen big drops in smoking rates, obesity numbers have not dropped significantly, and in many cases continue to climb.

That has American researchers focusing not on changing numbers on the scale, but on encouraging healthy behaviours.

"The outward appearance of obesity is a distracter and a red herring," says Mr Kahan. "If you take someone who is significantly overweight and they work hard and do what they need to do and lose 10% of their body weight, more often than not they will see tremendous health and function improvements.

"At the same time, they're still really fat. We still point fingers of them losing weight, and that's not really necessary."

While the goal of anti-smoking campaigns was to stop people from smoking, campaigns devoted to obesity seek a less-tangible outcome.

"The goal of obesity treatment is not necessarily to get to a normal weight. It's to move in a direction where your health is significantly improved."

To that end, says Ms Puhl, campaigns should focus on behaviours to improve health, not body size.

Motivating people to eat better and move more has beneficial effects for everyone, she says, not just the obese.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25749218

ojoj
Sat, Jan-18-14, 04:28
What also has happened with smoking is the stigma - nowadays seeing people smoke is frowned upon. Yet with high sugar "yummy" foods its seen as a treat! I cant imagine anyone these days buying cigarettes for everyone to share on their birthday - but cakes???????

Thats something that needs to be addressed somehow - but of course that needs careful thought or you're getting into the discrimination of the obese ?????

Jo xxx

leemack
Sat, Jan-18-14, 06:46
The difference is that it is the behaviour - smoking, that is stigmatised rather than the smoker. If the smoker is not smoking, then they are welcome anywhere and treated no differently than anyone else.

However, with obesity, it is the obese person who is stigmatised, and even shunned, permanently, regardless of their behaviour at that time. I can have lost weight, and go somewhere and not eat at all, but I'm still treated as something....gross and to be avoided.

We all have to eat, therefore there is no fat-person-specific behaviour that can be shunned. So instead, fat people are treated badly - changing behaviour makes no difference. I've told this story here before, but about 12 years ago, I was sitting outside in the Square, in a large town, eating my lunch - a salad, a nice healthy choice. A guy came up to me and started shouting at me that I was so disgusting and that my sitting there eating in front of him made him want to vomit. Is this the type of stigmatisation that is wanted? It will certainly lead to fewer obese people out and about, but only because the suicide rate of obese people would skyrocket, and the rest would be too scared to leave their house.

SabreCat50
Sat, Jan-18-14, 08:13
Smoking and obesity are not parallel constructions. Smoking is an activity, a behavior. Obesity is a condition.

To make it parallel you would have to identify a behavior like over-eating. Then, even skinny people might feel the heat. Of course, it wouldn't solve the problems of obesity.

ojoj
Sat, Jan-18-14, 09:22
But sugar is as addictive as tobacco - it certainly was for me!!!

Jo xxx

WereBear
Sat, Jan-18-14, 09:33
But sugar is as addictive as tobacco - it certainly was for me!!!

Jo xxx

What I see, mentally, is that "oh, a cupcake is harmless." Well, so is ONE cigarette :lol:

One of the articles Demi put up was quoting someone saying, "What used to be something [cake] for birthdays or Christmas is now every day." And this is so true. Look at how manufacturers market candy, as a little "treat" you can have any time, a way of visiting a tropical island or having your own adventure... possible at every break in the workday.

But if you are having your "treat" every day, the way a smoker turns their break into a cigarette... then it's an addiction and it's bad for you.

That's why you can't have just one!

Matlock
Sat, Jan-18-14, 09:47
When it comes to obesity, he says, "the public has not as thoroughly been terrorised."

Yeah, just what obese people need, more anxiety.

One can abstain from smoking, but not eating. The problem isn't the eater. The problem is junk food, processed grains, sugar. Obese people would more appropriately be called victims than perpetrators. If society needs to terrorize someone, they need to look at the food industries and culture that make it so difficult to avoid the foods that create obesity. But that would be politically inconvenient.

Nancy LC
Sat, Jan-18-14, 09:55
I think if they equated sugary foods to cigarettes, that wouldn't be bad. But they'd probably go for stigmatizing obese people, not the problematic foods in most people's diets (fat or not).

The negative messaging about food absolutely works. It is how I got myself off of wheat.

ojoj
Sat, Jan-18-14, 10:24
What I see, mentally, is that "oh, a cupcake is harmless." Well, so is ONE cigarette :lol:

One of the articles Demi put up was quoting someone saying, "What used to be something [cake] for birthdays or Christmas is now every day." And this is so true. Look at how manufacturers market candy, as a little "treat" you can have any time, a way of visiting a tropical island or having your own adventure... possible at every break in the workday.

But if you are having your "treat" every day, the way a smoker turns their break into a cigarette... then it's an addiction and it's bad for you.

That's why you can't have just one!

Quite!!! In fact at work on Friday, one of the 25 staff had a birthday (this is whats on my mind). So everyone brought in cakes and party food. This happens every time theres a birthday. So 25 times (24, cos I dont lol). Of course, everyones on diets and moan - but still tuck in.

It was my birthday a few days ago too and I jokingly suggested I bring in cigarettes lol!!!! That went down well - NOT, eventho a fair few are smokers!!!

Jo xxx

tragedian
Sat, Jan-18-14, 14:15
This sounds silly to me. Anti-smoking campaigns don't do a great job of helping smokers, what makes people think that type of thing can help any other problem?

I know what they THINK they are referring to is the gradual change from smoking being something, in the 50s America, that everyone did, that people thought was good for you, that even doctors did and recommended, to being something that people now know is extremely unhealthy, but that's not what they are referring to.

The way smoking was seen back when 'everyone' did it was based on misconceptions and an actual lack of information about it being unhealthy/poisonous. The anti-smoking campaigns that changed that involved educating people, EDUCATING the public. How can you base anti-obesity campaigns on education when you are using and telling people the wrong carb-heavy nutrition -lacking advice?

Smoking campaigns NOW, the ones they want to apply to obesity, are not campaigns that educate, they are campaigns that HARANGUE.

If someone wants to create a campaign that EDUCATES the public about how to be healthy and not be obese, I'm all for it. BUT, FIRST they need to get their heads out of their you-know-whatses and start promoting information that actually WILL help, not this "eat tons of carbs" stuff that is currently being promoted.