PDA

View Full Version : Dr Briffa publishes new book

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Demi
Fri, Jan-17-14, 13:16
My new book, A Great Day at the Office, is out now!

Much of my professional work is focused on helping individuals live and work more healthily, effectively and sustainable. For the last 18 years, I have provided speaking and training services to major organisations around the world.

Last year, I decided to write a book about research and my experience tells me are the most effective strategies for optimizing energy, effectiveness and performance. I'm delighted to announce that this book, A Great Day at the Office, is published this week.

A Great Day at the Office offers key insights and practical guidance on all the factors that drive our energy and effectiveness including diet, physical activity, light exposure, breathing, sound, psychology and sleep. Individuals who put even a fraction of the advice offered in this book into practice stand to be rewarded with an energy and vitality that enables them to get more done, more easily - both in and out of the workplace.

Insights from this book include:

• The crucial dietary tactic that ensures sustained levels of energy throughout the day with no ‘mid-afternoon slump’.

• The common but under-recognized causes of insomnia, and how to get the sort of deep, restful sleep that leaves us fully revived in the morning.

• The evidence that dehydration drains vitality and brainpower, and the single best guide to whether our fluid needs are being met.

• Three practical strategies for reducing alcohol intake quite automatically and without feelings of sacrifice or deprivation.

• How certain types of music and sound can boost mood, mental performance and immune functioning.

• The simple breathing exercise that can induce a state of calm and focus in just a few seconds.

• How to maintain health and fitness in as time-efficient a way as possible, and without the need for a gym or exhausting exercise.

• How to use light technology to optimise our sleep, mental functioning and mood.

• The three simple psychological strategies that harmonise our body and mind and put us in a highly resourceful state.

• The mental ‘trick’ for banishing bad habits and establishing healthy ones – with ease.

Chapter 1 Summary:

Food provides us with fuel, and what we choose to eat can determine whether we are highly energised and raring to go, or feeling as though we’re wading through treacle. The first half of the opening chapter explores the science of the conversion of food into energy, and how to eat to ensure sustained levels of vitality throughout the day.

Most of us have an eye on the long term too, so the second half of this chapter conducts an evidence-based examination of how to eat in a way that aids our personal sustainability. Here, you will learn which foods are best for staving off health issues such as weight gain, heart disease and diabetes.

The final part of the chapter provides practical guidance on how to put all this theory into practice. If you’re imagining that this chapter is all about bran-based breakfast cereals, skinless chicken breasts and low-fat spreads, then you’re in for a treat. As the research reveals, most conventional nutritional ‘wisdom’ is fundamentally flawed. Using up-to-date science (and a healthy dose of common sense), the chapter clears up dietary confusion and puts a slew of nutritional myths to bed. Read this chapter to learn why ‘healthy eating’ may actually be holding you back, and how to release yourself to a state of optimal energy and wellbeing, with ease.Read more here: http://drbriffawellness.com/the-book/

rightnow
Fri, Jan-17-14, 15:04
How come he sounded like a doctor when he started, and now he sounds like a life coach? So for all those years he originally was talking about having been a doctor, now it's that he was counseling people on the workplace? I realize you can "slice it" many ways, no matter what job you have, but I think the "artistic liberties" he's taking with the doctor job are really pushing the limit. :lol:

PJ

Demi
Sat, Jan-18-14, 02:39
How come he sounded like a doctor when he started, and now he sounds like a life coach? So for all those years he originally was talking about having been a doctor, now it's that he was counseling people on the workplace? I realize you can "slice it" many ways, no matter what job you have, but I think the "artistic liberties" he's taking with the doctor job are really pushing the limit. :lol:

PJHe's still a practising doctor.

Dr John Briffa is a practising doctor, author and international speaker.

In addition to his work in clinical practice and writing, for the last 18 years Dr Briffa has regularly delivered talks, workshops and health programmes geared towards the optimisation of energy, effectiveness and sustainability in individuals within organisations.

http://www.drbriffa.com/about-2/

jmh
Sat, Jan-18-14, 15:14
I guess he's taking a broader picture of 'wellness'. I was thinking, this is the kind of book I could give my business man brother as a present that he would read and maybe take notice of, while a diet book he might not.

Probably good product positioning - something I could learn from I think. :D

ImOnMyWay
Sat, Jan-18-14, 15:32
The summary posted on his website makes me want to buy it. It's available thru Amazon.uk but doesn't show up when I search amazon here in the States (?). My fav local bookstore is asking $29.50, only available thru its "International Warehouse". That's very expensive for a mass market paperback!

deirdra
Sun, Jan-19-14, 12:22
It appears on amazon.ca ($18.26 Cdn) for pre-order with a March 13th publication date (different countries have different distributors), so I suspect it will show up soon on Amazon US with a reasonable price.

HappyLC
Sun, Jan-19-14, 12:44

PJ

It's working for Dr. Oz....