PDA

View Full Version : Yet another "brilliant" proof that Low Carb diets are unhealthy and cause Diabetes!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ketogenium
Tue, Jan-14-14, 12:47
Happy New Year, everyone!

Well, I thought I've heard it all, but Anti-Low-Carb proponents have proven me wrong again. I came a cross this "incredibly conclusive" study which clearly "proves" we all are going to get Diabetes and die of heart disease. Here's the abstract....

Kaneko T, Wang PY, Wang Y, Sato A.: The long-term effect of low-carbohydrate/high-fat diet on the development of diabetes mellitus in spontaneously diabetic rats. Diabetes Metab. 2000 Dec;26(6):459-64. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11173716)

Let's read the abstract line by line!

The long-term effect of low-carbohydrate/high-fat diets on the development of diabetes mellitus was studied in Otsuka Long-Evans Tokushima Fatty strain (OLETF) rats. O.K., now all of us expect a true Low Carb diet including high quality fats and less than 10% caloric intake in form of non-refined carbs. Right? Let's read further.

Four groups of spontaneously diabetic (type 2) male rats at 10 weeks of age were pair-fed semi-purified powder diets containing different amounts of carbohydrate (80%, 60%, 40%, 20% of total calories) for 30 weeks. Uhm... Nope, no high quality foods but highly processed fats and carbs. That alone makes me cringe. Oh well, let's ignore that! They stopped at 20%, which means for a human to consume 100g carbs daily. Carbohydrate intake of 80-20% carbs, somehow I miss the "Low Carb" part here. But it gets better, folks...

The carbohydrate content was isocalorically substituted for the fat content in the diet. At the onset of experimental feeding (10 weeks of age), an oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) was normal in each group. After 15 weeks of the test diet feeding there was no significant difference in the glucose tolerance among the 4 groups, although most of the rats were diabetic. The body weight increased with the decrease of the carbohydrate intake and increase of the fat intake (p <0.05), and the difference increased in proportion to age (p<0.05). The severity of diabetes mellitus was also increased along with the lower carbohydrate intake and higher fat intake , when the carbohydrate intake was less than 60% (in energy). In other words, they fed their diabetic rat groups with diets where carbs were more and more substituted with fat. That means diet compositions of 60% carbs and 20% fat, 40% carbs 40% fat, 20% carbs 60% fat. WHERE IS LOW CARB HERE??? All I see is a typical SAD diet, processed food powder with 20 to 80% refined carbohydrates! The findings are absolutely predictable and come as no suprise!!

On the other hand, there was a significant increase in the 20% group in the postload plasma insulin levels as compared with the other 3 groups at 40 weeks of age. Fasting plasma free fatty acid levels were increased in the lower carbohydrate content groups (20% and 40%) as compared with the higher carbohydrate content groups (60% and 80%) at the end of the experiment. Impairment of insulin secretion may be the cause of glucose intolerance induced by low carbohydrate intake rather than insulin resistance. And here is their epic conclusion! These findings suggest that low-carbohydrate/high-fat diet aggravates diabetes mellitus in genetically diabetic rats, and that the development of diabetes mellitus is associated with the activation of the glucose-fatty acid cycle. Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant!!!

So, what do we have here? We have diabetic rats fed with processed fats and carbohydrates, we have diet ratios of 80% carb 0% fat - 60% carbs and 20% fat - 40% carbs 40% fat - 20% carbs 60% fat - and we have these typical SAD ratios explicitey labeled as "lower carbohydrate". Health of rats predictably deteriorated and of course the conclusion was it is the fat which causes all that. And in the end they simply concluded their "lower carbohydrate" diet to be a typical low-carbohydrate/high-fat diet!

What we just read is basically the greatest piece of "proof" Anti-Low-Carbers use to label LC as "unhealthy".Wrongly labeled clinical tests, which always are based on S.A.D. (Standard American Diet, 45-60% carbs, 32-35% fat) - and in the end everyone concludes that it must be fat which causes all the health deterioration, 30-40% refined carbohydrates are never even considered to be the main cause of insulin secretion and fat metabolism impairment. No one of them even tries to exactly replicate Atkins diet for rats and mice, I guess because they KNOW what the results would be. And such pieces of outright BAD Science are then used to bash LC.

http://danielgriswold.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/double-facepalm.jpg

Thanks for reading!

ketogenium

MandalayVA
Tue, Jan-14-14, 12:59
You do realize that this study is from thirteen years ago, right?

Zei
Tue, Jan-14-14, 13:39
Well, even if it is an older study, the main message I get from this is if I am a diabetic rat, higher and higher levels of cheap quality pro-inflammatory industrial seed oils in my heavily refined lab chow aren't good for my health. Besides all those extremely refined carbs. Got it. Now, if I were a diabetic rat, I would next wonder what effect eating the kind of junk they're sticking in my lab cage would have if that human dude feeding us if he ate it, too?

WereBear
Tue, Jan-14-14, 14:28
You do realize that this study is from thirteen years ago, right?

Wouldn't stop press sources from referencing it in yet another low carb bashing article.

MandalayVA
Tue, Jan-14-14, 14:53
Wouldn't stop press sources from referencing it in yet another low carb bashing article.

Studies will always show what the scientists (and whoever's paying for the study) want. If the study doesn't come out the expected way, then it's tweaked or rewritten until it does. Then why do I believe Drs. Eades, Dr. Atkins and Dr. Bernstein? ALL of them have either treated many others and/or themselves and have seen the results. I believe the results gotten from people, not rats.

ketogenium
Wed, Jan-15-14, 12:11
You do realize that this study is from thirteen years ago, right? Of course I do, but that doesn't change anything. Most of ground breaking clinical trials LC community refers to were made a while ago, "newer" doesn't mean automatically "better". Besides that AGRA, PHARMA and the USDA still keep feeding us with ideas which were proposed in 1950's and essentially debunked in 1970's (by Framingham Health Study). This is what I call outdated... And of course:
Studies will always show what the scientists (and whoever's paying for the study) want. If the study doesn't come out the expected way, then it's tweaked or rewritten until it does. But thank God it is much much more difficult to do so with randomized controlled clinical trials. Manipulated raw data gets exposed by peer review relatively easy, bad test designs and methodology too - this is why there are so few clinical trials and a literal trashload of epidemiological studies! Raw epidemiological data can be twisted back and forth and any good statistician will have no serious problems to squeeze the right data out of it, without making something outright unscientific. If you want to twist a clinical trial you have to do it not by manipulating its design and data but by twisting the labels and conclusions. In our case - let's label S.A.D. as Low Carb. The data clearly says fat and refined carbs combined together have detrimental effects on health - label it as a pure effect of fat. Don't give any references to Low Carb literature. You get the idea. This is why reading the trial and looking at their diet & raw data exposes all their labeling games immediately.

Epidemiology is forgiving, ambiguous and cost effective! That is the reason you regularly hear about "new studies" which have "proven" that "saturated fat and cholesterol are unhealthy" because "they increase the risk (= relative risk!!!) of this or that disease". Causation can not be proven with methods of the Probability theory, any mathematician will tell you that, but well, Ancel Keys, Goverment and USDA do exactly that since the 1950's.

ketogenium
Tue, Dec-23-14, 13:22
And yet another piece of anti Low Carb "brilliance"!

Muller A. P. et al.: High saturated fat and low carbohydrate diet decreases lifespan independent of body weight in mice. Longev Healthspan. 2013; 2: 10. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3922950/)

Twenty-five C57Bl6 male mice, aged 21 days, were randomly placed on one of two different diets for 27 months: a control diet (CD, n = 12) or aHFdiet (n = 13). The HF diet contained 60% energy from saturated and unsaturated fat (45% lard and 15% soybean oil), 15% energy from starch (corn) and 25% from protein (soybean protein). CD contained 15% energy from saturated fat and unsaturated fat (soybean oil), 60% energy from starch (corn) and 25% from protein (soybean protein). Both diets were formulated in our laboratory and contained standard vitamins and minerals mixed with all essentials nutrients.Basically, these animals (again) were fed with highly processed corn starch and soybean protein - something any Low Carb diet wouldn't allow in a 1000 years. And when these poor animals croaked away the brilliant conclusion was - it's LARD!!! That study shown pretty clear why no one of us should ever touch corn starch...

There's more...

Koletsky S. et al.: Rapid acceleration of atherosclerosis in hypertensive rats on high fat diet. Experimental and Molecular Pathology, Volume 9, Issue 3, December 1968, Pages 322–338 (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0014480068900233)

Rats with unilateral renal hypertension were placed on a diet containing 40% fat in the form of egg yolk. In striking contrast to normotensive control rats, these animals rapidly developed a severe grade of atherosclerosis. That study, again, doesn't list any information on carbohydrates fed to these animals, neither the amount nor the type.

D. Vesselinovitch et al.: Atherosclerosis in the rhesus monkey fed three food fats. Department of Pathology, University of Chicago, Chicago, Ill. 60637 U.S.A. Received: February 20, 1974 (http://www.atherosclerosis-journal.com/article/0021-9150%2874%2990015-X/abstract?cc=y)

Again, we do not know anything about type or amount of carbs being fed, and of course processed butterfat, but natural butter, was tested here. Why am I not suprised about the results???

Zei
Tue, Dec-23-14, 18:52
What do you want to bet the lard the test animals ate was hydrogenated? Perhaps the study's conclusion should be: Even corn starch isn't as bad for lab animals as trans fats.

teaser
Wed, Dec-24-14, 07:03
I find it interesting, in the first study, that in the high fat fed animals, those resistant to obesity and those that were not both experienced the same abbreviation of lifespan.

There are conditions where an animal will be healthier if starch is given instead of even the most wholesome of animal fat. I don't really think we can get away from that. But the conditions in these studies are very specific. The cage itself, whether or not there's a running wheel. The giants in lab coats the animals are regularly exposed to. These animals are under entirely different types of stress than they'd be exposed to in the wild.