PDA

View Full Version : Obesity cannot be controlled through personal responsibility alone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Demi
Mon, Jan-13-14, 04:07
From the Guardian
London, UK
13 January, 2014

Obesity cannot be controlled through personal responsibility alone

Policymakers have invested in the exhausted, glib explanation that maintaining nutritional health is a matter of personal and parental responsibility. But is it?

Ben Brooks

McDonald’s cookies have an energy density comparable to hydrazine. Hydrazine is a rocket fuel used to manoeuvre spacecraft in orbit. It was astonishing, then, to watch a small child graze through two boxes of the desiccated biscuits in one sitting. His parents watched on, preoccupied with their own colossal meals: a noxious amalgam of meat, grease and sugar.

The prime minister, once our federal health minister, has explained his attitude. “The only person responsible for what goes into my mouth is me,” he said, “and the only people who are responsible for what goes into kids’ mouths are the parents”. The Gillard government agreed, ignoring recommendations produced by its own preventative health taskforce to tax unhealthy foods and eliminate junk food advertising directed at children.

Policymakers have invested in the exhausted, glib explanation that maintaining nutritional health is a matter of personal and parental responsibility – a corporate defence strategy adapted from the tobacco and alcohol industries. By implication, obesity is the result of individual irresponsibility: poor dietary choices, idle lifestyles, questionable parenting, or inadequate resolve.

Intuitively, it is easy to understand the political appeal of this doctrine. It conforms to cultural stereotypes, that “fat people” are slothful and indolent. Moreover, assuming collective responsibility for obesity and diabetes would likely require highly invasive disincentives like sugar or beverage taxes. Policymakers are eager to avoid the political liability associated with these proposals.

But this “personal responsibility” paradigm is troubling. First, it reflects popular indifference to the obesity epidemic. It is properly called an epidemic. Over 63% of Australian adults are overweight or obese. A fifth of all cancer deaths in the US are attributable to obesity. A quarter of the world population will likely acquire type 2 diabetes, while diabetes sufferers constitute two-thirds of all the deaths caused by cardiovascular disease. Globally, abnormal body mass index accounts for 23% of disability-adjusted life-years.

And if the number of sufferers continues to grow, children born today will enjoy shorter life expectancies than both their parents and grandparents.

Yet numbers make no sense unless they are properly communicated. Both obesity and type 2 diabetes are deeply human tragedies, but that is yet to register among the public and policymakers. They are tragedies that happen to "other people", after a seemingly predictable descent into sedentary living and poor eating. Neither disease has the terrifying arbitrariness of cancer, nor the abruptness of a sudden heart attack – neither seems to warrant the same commitment to prevention.

Australians, for instance, remain acutely aware of the causal links between smoking and lung cancer or emphysema. Anti-smoking campaigns here are intensely visual and heavily funded. Comparable anti-obesity campaigns receive a third of the funding. Obesity is substantially lower as a preventative health priority.

Second, the personal responsibility doctrine allows government and industry to play an interminable game of pass-the-parcel with obesity control. At its most basic, obesity develops when a person’s energy consumption exceeds their energy expenditure. Commercial interests are best served by preserving the rate of consumption, and instead appealing to exercise and sport. “Think. Drink. Move.” intones Coca-Cola. “Confectionery is designed to be enjoyed,” writes Cadbury, “as part of a balanced diet and active lifestyle.”

Central, then, to the corporate responsibility mission is a selective emphasis on physical activity over diet, and a denial of the good food/bad food dichotomy. Blame is deflected instead onto the consumer. The CEO of Coca-Cola, Muhtar Kent, provides a typical illustration of this disingenuous, faux-conscientious marketing. “Obesity is a serious problem. We know that,” he silkily conceded. “And we agree that Americans need to be more active and take greater responsibility for their diets.”

So policymakers are stuck in a trap of industry’s design. Through the personal responsibility conceit, the debate over tackling obesity has been reduced to a simplistic binary: consumption control versus the promotion of sport and exercise.

It is a neat and digestible expression of the basic obesity problem, but it lazily defers some crucial questions. Consumption is the half of the obesity equation which has the greatest effect, and over which we have the most control. But governments have been caught up in the food politics of “energy-in-energy-out” without asking why 10% of the Australian population visits McDonald’s every day despite school curriculums saturated in dietary education, why Indigenous communities suffer disproportionately high rates of obesity and diabetes, or why ultra-processed foods are cheaper than healthy alternatives.

Clearly, understandings of personal responsibility will play an important role in any obesity control regime. Eliminating it entirely is unhelpful, and would only sustain the worn cliché that obesity is an exclusively genetic problem, to be cured rather than prevented.

Yet a country does not get fat for lack of responsibility. That cannot explain the rapid growth or severity of the obesity-diabetes epidemic. It is a caricature of the complex factors which influence the lifestyle patterns of individuals, and it fails to address the roots of overconsumption: cost of living, manipulative marketing, nutritional misinformation and – often overlooked – simple palatability.

Australia is the muffin top of Asia, and it is killing our citizens. Dispensing with the fiction of personal responsibility is the first step to a truly holistic solution – one which finds an appropriate balance between education, industry self-regulation, and firm government intervention.http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/13/obesity-cannot-be-controlled-through-personal-responsibility-alone

teaser
Mon, Jan-13-14, 08:03
Clearly, understandings of personal responsibility will play an important role in any obesity control regime. Eliminating it entirely is unhelpful, and would only sustain the worn cliché that obesity is an exclusively genetic problem, to be cured rather than prevented.

More worry that we'll stop blaming the victim? Or maybe just fear of the idea that we're helpless against obesity, if it's genetic.

Sort of twisted around here. Genetic susceptibility to an obesogenic environment could be used to support the author's basic thesis.

It's entirely possible for 100% of obesity to be caused by environment, and 100% of obesity to be caused by genes. These are apples and oranges, necessary co-factors. Increasing the importance of one doesn't necessarily decrease the importance of the other.

64dodger
Wed, Jan-15-14, 07:24
In a few years we will have millions of people on disability and all of them will say they have no control of their eating.

teaser
Wed, Jan-15-14, 07:32
Second, the personal responsibility doctrine allows government and industry to play an interminable game of pass-the-parcel with obesity control. At its most basic, obesity develops when a person’s energy consumption exceeds their energy expenditure. Commercial interests are best served by preserving the rate of consumption, and instead appealing to exercise and sport. “Think. Drink. Move.” intones Coca-Cola. “Confectionery is designed to be enjoyed,” writes Cadbury, “as part of a balanced diet and active lifestyle.”

This is actually nonsense, and misuse of the idea of self-control. When it comes to heroin, or eating babies, proper self-control doesn't mean moderation, it means not doing the thing at all. Self control doesn't equal calories in, calories out, not by definition. It means finding those things you actually can control, and controlling those. I never found I was very good at controlling how much pizza I ate, but it turns out I'm fine at controlling whether or not I eat pizza.

With my nut-binging, I kept buying the stupid things. Wouldn't binge if I didn't buy them... couldn't seem to stop buying them. What I could control... I made my diet more ketogenic, lots of butter, heavy cream, moderated protein. And became capable of snacking on nuts, of buying a can of nuts and having it last for a week. I sort of got lucky, I didn't know this would stop the binging. But again, an indirect approach worked better than white-knuckling ever did.

Atkins always did say turning those strips deep purple would bring binging under control.

Mrs Plaia
Wed, Jan-15-14, 08:07
This is actually nonsense, and misuse of the idea of self-control. When it comes to heroin, or eating babies, proper self-control doesn't mean moderation, it means not doing the thing at all. Self control doesn't equal calories in, calories out, not by definition. It means finding those things you actually can control, and controlling those. I never found I was very good at controlling how much pizza I ate, but it turns out I'm fine at controlling whether or not I eat pizza.

With my nut-binging, I kept buying the stupid things. Wouldn't binge if I didn't buy them... couldn't seem to stop buying them. What I could control... I made my diet more ketogenic, lots of butter, heavy cream, moderated protein. And became capable of snacking on nuts, of buying a can of nuts and having it last for a week. I sort of got lucky, I didn't know this would stop the binging. But again, an indirect approach worked better than white-knuckling ever did.

Atkins always did say turning those strips deep purple would bring binging under control.

Hear hear!!!!!

WereBear
Wed, Jan-15-14, 10:15
I never found I was very good at controlling how much pizza I ate, but it turns out I'm fine at controlling whether or not I eat pizza.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So true!

Bingeing is a starvation response. The more I study food and nutrients the more I think that's true. We have a person on the Emotional Issues Forum who related how they stopped their long-time, seemingly unstoppable bingeing with various supplements.

The body is screaming for nutrients.

Seejay
Wed, Jan-15-14, 10:21
Agree with you WereBear. I have been in multiple support groups for binge eating disorder and in every single person I've talked with, the bingeing came after a period of food insecurity, just plain not enough, or having only poverty food available. Without exception. Interesting huh!

SabreCat50
Wed, Jan-15-14, 12:12
... When it comes to heroin, or eating babies, proper self-control doesn't mean moderation, it means not doing the thing at all. ...

Wow :D I didn't know eating babies was ever an option!

WereBear
Wed, Jan-15-14, 13:15
Agree with you WereBear. I have been in multiple support groups for binge eating disorder and in every single person I've talked with, the bingeing came after a period of food insecurity, just plain not enough, or having only poverty food available. Without exception. Interesting huh!

It certainly is.

I'm doing Liposomal C (which is doing wonders!) and one of the first things I noticed was that it reduced my appetite.

This is with my taking tablet C a few times a day, and getting along with fruit better than many low carbers. I certainly would not consider me deficient... but apparently my body did think so!

Matlock
Wed, Jan-15-14, 16:15
I don't think most people realize the degree to which food subsidy programs influence what is available on grocery shelves. The US spends about 20 billion a year on food subsidies. All subsidies go to grains, the lion's share going to corn. This corn is virtually free to manufacturers, and is only good for two things: feeding to cattle (which stretches the definition of good) and making the component parts of junk food. A McDonald's happy meal is something like %70 corn.

If the federal government took away these subsidies tomorrow, junk food prices would spike. That would make a difference. It's funny, the idea of taxing junk food sends the free market fanatics into hysterics, but they're strangely quiet about existing food subsidies. Apparently they only want the government out of our lives when it's good for their corporate donors.

rightnow
Wed, Jan-15-14, 18:36
I agree that food subsidies should go. Like nearly everything else the government 'manages' it's completely corrupt at this point anyway.

(I'm reminded of a stand up comic with a routine on how his cousin gets paid to NOT grow corn, due to the subsidy thing. It was really pretty hilarious, about how the man has to get up at the crack of noon and stand on his porch for a few minutes looking out over the fields in which he does not grow corn, in order to make a living.)

70% corn in happy meal really? That's incredible. Where in the wheat bun, beef patty with pickle, french fries and drink (usually milk with happy meals) is all that corn? Maybe in a soda which is an option I think? Maybe it's blended in with the bun or meat or something? (They brag about 100% beef patties.)

On self control. On one hand I'm a big fan of personal responsibility. I always loved the body building forums for that. These guys are often lunatics (and hostile idiots to each other -- too much testosterone perhaps) but I admire the hell out of the whole mentality of being determined to do something and planning it out and working your ass off to make it happen. Hard to believe given my weight but I'm very much that personality myself (and it worked really for me on very-low-carb, until it didn't, for reasons having to do with my body and perhaps liver and maybe being too far gone into malnutrition, not with VLC itself, which is great).

The whole thing of 'self control' however, completely ignores that we have what amounts to the most advanced chemistry on planet earth custom designing fast-available-cheap foods to be more beautifully addictive than many street drugs. And the omnipresence of much of the raw ingredients (e.g. grains) in so many foods everywhere means the habit is constantly supported.

It doesn't matter if you're snacking on Doritos or drive-through Taco Bell for dinner, if you're eating mini-donuts from the truck stop or frozen pizza or Oreo cookies, if you're having hamburger helper made in a frying pan or baking a marie callendar's frozen lasagna or going to the chinese food restaurant -- every one of these in their own way is feeding the SAME underlying addiction(s) and hence supporting each other.

The chemistry that goes into why deep-dish pepperoni pizza is so freaking good, or why nacho cheese doritos are so ridiculously addictive, is better chemistry than plenty of illegal drug labs have got going.

But we don't have any laws that say it is illegal to intentionally manufacture chemistry products which are more addictive than drugs.

And we have a nationwide grain-based owner-industry (well corn, wheat, sugar, mainly) that basically makes this situation so omnipresent that unlike cigarettes, we can't just point at one thing and say, "This is intentionally designed to be a drug and it is gradually killing people."

Because it's not that one thing. It's not just oreos and doritos that are designer drugs packaged as food. It's so many things, from the grocery to restaurants to fast food to gas-station-markets, you'd basically wipe out THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY of food except for base meat, produce, and a subset of dairy, if you actually tried to interfere. And who would have the money to chemically analyze things and make claims and push it to court against the deepest pockets in the USA outside the agri/med-chem/media corps? Nobody.

The only way to not get addicted, or stay addicted, to addictive drugs, is to not have them PERIOD. That is easier said than done. At least alcoholics can stay out of bars. It's a lot more difficult, depending on one's life I suppose, to stay completely away from 95% of everything considered "food" in our culture.

And what triggers a person one day at noon may not actually hit as the primary symptom for 1-3 days after that. So most people can't track the thing they ate Monday for lunch, with the reason they caved and ate something Wednesday night they wish they hadn't, and so on.

And of course, most people by the time they are adults, even if their parents were very conservative, have been fed highly addictive and damaging food all their lives. Nearly all the grains in our country already qualify as such. Every school holiday with cupcakes or even daily snacks of junk, every smallest trip to just about any restaurant there is, never mind the rare fast food or pizza, was contributing to their lifetime of indoctrinal-addiction.

You can tell the people who genetically deal worst with it. They're the largest or the deadest.

As for genetics, this is highly (to the point of overwhelmingly) correlated with the obesity statistics and I'm pretty sure there's some causative research in there as well. This has been made plain by the leading molecular biology and genetics research experts, such as Jeffrey Friedman of Rockefeller U for example.

This is not even a point of argument. The effect of certain ingestible substances we might choose to call food has a radically different effect or different degree of effect on some genetic groups than others.

So when we are insisting that people just use self control, what we're really saying is that the genetic groups who are almost overwhelming affected by obesity and disease from these unfoods, are all lazy sots, compared to those who are not.

So if you're certain kinds of asian or kenyan, you must be impressively disciplined. If you are certain kinds of native american, you must be a lazy sot. The even-better part of this ignore-genetics-in-favor-of-self-discipline-theory is when discussions on whether children should be kidnapped from their parents because the parents are fat -- never mind the other question of whether the children are -- comes up, or other government-invasion-into-life comes up. Fortunately the requests in Britain/USA/AUS for such things as forced gastric bypass on fat teenagers has not yet come up. I seriously think we are still in the dark ages.

Everything that ignores the intentional drug-level biochemistry of the pervasive unfood environment is an offense to all of us living in it. But everything that ignores the rather profound genetic differences in response (for multi-generations also) to this environment is literally racism, whether intentional or not.

You have to admit it's a difficult topic though. Alcoholism is considered a disease, in part because there is a clearly trackable genetic component to it. Of course if they had never begun drinking, they wouldn't have become addicted (some people can drink daily and never be, some people can barely do it at all and become so -- genetics seem to be a huge part of this). Pretty difficult in our culture to 'know' that you are genetically susceptible, to even see the addiction part happening to you when you're around people drinking 10x what you are not suffering it, until it's too late. OK so then at that point, it's considered a disease. I am no expert on this topic (aside from a family too genetically susceptible) so I don't know what to think about the alcoholism question, but it leads to the obvious question of whether being genetically susceptible to the profound biochemical impact from pervasively-common cultural foods (wheat, corn, sugar) and hence having a profoundly higher level of addiction to them, is in any similar category, or should be. I don't consider obesity itself to be a disease (it's a symptom) but where do we start talking about the meth lab for the brain that comes in via doritos instead of street drugs?

Doritos and Oreos are cheaper than meth. They have only a fraction of the high. They take longer to kill you and you'd have to ingest a lot more of them to clearly see the growing side effects. So it's like a fractional ratio perhaps, of actual street drugs. How much does ratio matter? How much effect does feeding these to developing children vs. adults have? How much does 'addiction response' vary by the sub-group whether age or genetic or other? I doubt anybody will pay for the research on that.

I still believe that every individual has to consider everything within their own sphere of control. It is untenable to live and think any other way. But you can educate people to understand that basic biology being what it is, willpower seldom defeats a few million years of evolution. And so, if you don't want to be and stay addicted to element-X, you need to utterly remove element-X from your diet. And it's probably hard as hell (like with gluten, gods) especially if you don't cook much.

Most of this doesn't require eating differently, it requires LIVING differently. That is where most eating plans break down in real world practice. Eating differently just means driving through X rather than Z. Living differently means planning ahead, shopping ahead, defrosting ahead, learning to cook, taking the time to clean, and the energy for all that stuff, rather than just picking up a sandwich or burrito on the way to work. Many people are willing to eat differently, but eating real food isn't just eating differently. It requires SO much more effort and so many other changes in one's life for many people, which is so far outside the cultural norm and convenience, that it's more like joining a strange obsessive cult than going on a diet.

PJ

WereBear
Wed, Jan-15-14, 19:38
Many people are willing to eat differently, but eating real food isn't just eating differently. It requires SO much more effort and so many other changes in one's life for many people, which is so far outside the cultural norm and convenience, that it's more like joining a strange obsessive cult than going on a diet.

PJ

Yes!

You really hit the nail on the head for this gluten-free, low carb, Primal person. I'm fortunate that I live in an area with very few chain restaurants, and my favorite places are attentive about my requirements. That I was able to go from microwave heating to actual cooking. My friends are so attentive and supportive, and even they wonder aloud sometimes at how it seems so... overwhelming.

It's not easy to swim against the riptide of your entirely opposite culture.

Matlock
Wed, Jan-15-14, 19:49
70% corn in happy meal really?
PJ
The %70 was an guesstimate based on a memory of something I read somewhere, i.e. I pulled it from my ass. As penance I dug up some actual figures from the Michael Pollan Book, Omnivores Dilemna (one of the more interesting books I read last year). These values were calculated using a mass spectrometer--the carbon isotope from the corn carries a signature. The beef is all corn fed, the soda is all HFCS and bubbles. There is of course some processed wheat flour, as with any balanced meal.

soda %100
milk shake %78
salad dressing %65
chicken nuggets %56
cheeseburger %52
fries %23

teaser
Wed, Jan-15-14, 21:07
In the case of the cheeseburger, I'd just eat the corn part.

Katfishy
Thu, Jan-16-14, 20:14
These values were calculated using a mass spectrometer--the carbon isotope from the corn carries a signature. The beef is all corn fed, the soda is all HFCS and bubbles.

Oh! That makes sense. So they're saying the CARBON in the meat (which I hope is mostly protein and fat) originally came from corn, via cow. Not that the meat patty is actually made of corn. I was worried because I'll grab a $1 burger and just eat the meat patty if I'm on the run. I wouldn't want to eat it at all if it was mostly corn filler!