PDA

View Full Version : Being active may boost metabolism

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Demi
Wed, Jan-08-14, 05:47
From The Times
London, UK
8 January, 2014

Being active may boost metabolism

Exercising burns body fat, that much is obvious, but now scientists have shown that being physically active also boosts metabolism, meaning that the rate at which the body burns calories increases too.

The study found that during exercise muscles release a chemical signal that triggers an increase in the rate at which fat cells burn energy. The signal occurs as a quick-fire response to exercise, but leading an active lifestyle also appears to increase a person’s baseline levels of the chemical, suggesting that exercise can have an enduring impact on metabolism.

The research adds to a growing body of evidence that chemical signals generated in one organ, such as exercising muscle, circulate throughout the body and influence other tissues, such as fat cells, the heart and the liver.

Robert Gerszten, a cardiologist and associate professor at Harvard Medical School, who led the study, said: “Exercise basically bathes the body in good signals.”

The study, published in the journal Cell Metabolism , tracked the way that a protein released by the muscles during exercise breaks down and acts on other tissues throughout the body. The research focused on one of the metabolites, a substance called BAIBA.

Fat cells in a Petri dish increased their metabolism by 20-25 per cent when exposed to the compound and similar effects were seen when mice were given BAIBA. “They became leaner and burnt fat quicker,” Dr Gerszten said.

The compound also helped balance blood sugar levels in mice, suggesting that it could be protective against diabetes. Previous research has shown that BAIBA is linked to a healthy liver.

In a separate part of the study, the scientists analysed 557 people who had sedentary lifestyles and were put on a 20-week exercise programme. By the end of the study period, which involved doing exercise three days each week, the participants’ plasma levels of BAIBA had increased by 17 per cent.

The findings suggest that creating a synthetic version of the compound may help protect against obesity and diseases such as diabetes. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/health/news/article3968682.ece

β-Aminoisobutyric Acid Induces Browning of White Fat and Hepatic β-Oxidation and Is Inversely Correlated with Cardiometabolic Risk Factors

Highlights
β-aminoisobutyric acid (BAIBA) is secreted from PGC-1α-expressing myocytes
BAIBA activates the thermogenic program in white adipocytes via PPARα
Circulating BAIBA levels in mice and humans are increased with exercise
BAIBA is inversely correlated with cardiometabolic risk factors in humans

Summary
The transcriptional coactivator peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1α (PGC-1α) regulates metabolic genes in skeletal muscle and contributes to the response of muscle to exercise. Muscle PGC-1α transgenic expression and exercise both increase the expression of thermogenic genes within white adipose. How the PGC-1α-mediated response to exercise in muscle conveys signals to other tissues remains incompletely defined. We employed a metabolomic approach to examine metabolites secreted from myocytes with forced expression of PGC-1α, and identified β-aminoisobutyric acid (BAIBA) as a small molecule myokine. BAIBA increases the expression of brown adipocyte-specific genes in white adipocytes and β-oxidation in hepatocytes both in vitro and in vivo through a PPARα-mediated mechanism, induces a brown adipose-like phenotype in human pluripotent stem cells, and improves glucose homeostasis in mice. In humans, plasma BAIBA concentrations are increased with exercise and inversely associated with metabolic risk factors. BAIBA may thus contribute to exercise-induced protection from metabolic diseases.

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/abstract/S1550-4131(13)00497-X

Nancy LC
Wed, Jan-08-14, 08:56
How is "being active" and "leading an active lifestyle" different from exercising?

WereBear
Wed, Jan-08-14, 12:11
What does this mean?

For instance, I live on the third floor of an old house. My work is on the first floor and the bathroom is in the basement. In the winter, I have to go down to start the car and come back while it warms up! And there's errands.

So on a typical day, with no other activity, I do an average of 18-20 flights of stairs.

Does that make me "active" or not?

teaser
Wed, Jan-08-14, 12:35
-aminoisobutyric acid (BAIBA) is secreted from PGC-1α-expressing myocytes
BAIBA activates the thermogenic program in white adipocytes via PPARα
Circulating BAIBA levels in mice and humans are increased with exercise
BAIBA is inversely correlated with cardiometabolic risk factors in humans

This stuff may be higher in people who exercise. But who is most likely to exercise? Probably people who either have easier access to the energy to do so in the first place, or people whose bodies cooperate the best and give them adaptations like this one when they do exercise.

It's like the studies where mice that voluntarily run on a wheel the most live longer than mice that run on a wheel the least. The mice running the most didn't watch a Richard Simmons infomercial and become inspired to run more, they just naturally have that drive.

ojoj
Wed, Jan-08-14, 12:55
When I was overweight, I spent my life carrying around that extra weight - around 85 - 90lbs, all day, everyday! Thats gotta be more exercise than I do now. So therefore I was doing more in those days and thats probably why I didnt like being active - cos I was doing more than my slimmer peers, just by walking around! So did I have an increased metabolism then?????

Jo xxx

M Levac
Wed, Jan-08-14, 16:09
Or just inject BAIBA directly: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19186330

Note how BAIBA has no effect on genetically obese mice, as opposed to nutritionally obese mice. Also note that BAIBA would need to be injected again when obesity returned. This should be relevant, it's about insulin-induced lipohypertrophy: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22165682

The implication is that fat tissue grows bigger due to increase in number of fat cells, due to hyperinsulinemia, due to hyperglycemia, due to high-carb diet. That's the primary cause. Address that as well as BAIBA/PTP-1 therapy, and the problem will be solved both at the root and at the end point. Without addressing the root, the end point will return. From the point of view of the article, this means exercise must be done continuously. But as we know from other experiments, exercise is useless for fat loss, so the whole point of BAIBA-from-exercise is moot.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=423928
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=435270
http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01262664

M Levac
Wed, Jan-08-14, 16:17
-

This stuff may be higher in people who exercise. But who is most likely to exercise? Probably people who either have easier access to the energy to do so in the first place, or people whose bodies cooperate the best and give them adaptations like this one when they do exercise.

It's like the studies where mice that voluntarily run on a wheel the most live longer than mice that run on a wheel the least. The mice running the most didn't watch a Richard Simmons infomercial and become inspired to run more, they just naturally have that drive.
Exactly. Cause-and-effect is deemed to be reversible, when in fact it's not. They are more active because their metabolism is higher. Their metabolism is higher because it is not inhibited - or less inhibited - by environment, genes, or both. As many of us found out when we went low-carb, our metabolism increased and we were able to become more active. Hm, maybe they should study the effect of low-carb on BAIBA.