PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Eric Westman Diet cover of Women's World

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

JEY100
Sat, Jan-04-14, 08:25
Although Women's World is a mass market women's magazine that has three conflicting diets in every issue (they certainly subscribe to "the every individual has to find the diet that works for them theory" :) ), it is newsworthy that Dr. Westman's clinic diet is featured on the issue just out at the beginning of "diet season". Short two pages, nothing readers here will find new, but great that it covers the main points of low carb in a simple format. If you can't find it, it is available on Nook, cover featured here: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/womans-world-01-13-14-bauer-usa/1116817791?ean=2940035555176

It refers readers to his pamphlet http://www.amazon.com/Low-Carbohydrate-Ketogenic-Diet-Manual/dp/1482781255 and features a patient who has now lost 204 pounds over four years. More of her story is "Low Carb Didn't Change my Life. It Saved my Life" here: http://www.awlr.org/1/archives/11-2012/1.html

mojolissa
Sat, Jan-04-14, 10:29
Watched one of Dr. Westman's podcast recently. Very informative, but I have a question. Does he advocate staying at 20 cg per day ongoing? or do you eventually move up the carb ladder like Atkins promoted?

ImOnMyWay
Sat, Jan-04-14, 10:41
Watched one of Dr. Westman's podcast recently. Very informative, but I have a question. Does he advocate staying at 20 cg per day ongoing? or do you eventually move up the carb ladder like Atkins promoted?

Dr. Westman is one of the authors of "New Atkins for a New You". Yes, this book prescribes a carb ladder. Haven't read his new book.

mojolissa
Sat, Jan-04-14, 10:45
Oh OK. Is that the same program as DANDR?

ImOnMyWay
Sat, Jan-04-14, 10:51
Oh OK. Is that the same program as DANDR?

Not exactly the same. It's a version of the Atkins Diet. DANDR was published in 1999 and a revised edition in 2002. Dr. Atkins kept refining his diet over the years based on updated scientific research and his clinical results. NANY does the same, but was published after the death of Dr. A.

JEY100
Sat, Jan-04-14, 10:52
From the article "He still prescribes a version of Atkins, one that's 'a bit simplier and a bit stricter' In a nutshell: You get 20 grams of carbs a day until you reach your optimal weight and health. Period. There are no exceptions for high-fiber foods, no diet phases that increase carb intake."

It is NOT the same as NANY, DANDR, if anything, the clinic uses something closer to DADR Induction, but with its own rules to make it simpler to follow.

It works. After you reach goal, you can start to test IF you can tolerate more carbs, but many people in the local support group like Lynne, stay around maybe 25-30g. I should too! but stray at times. However, I know if I go back to doing his program as written, whatever pounds have crept on, will come off again.

mojolissa
Sat, Jan-04-14, 11:40
Thank you both for the info. Maybe I should read the book "New Atkins for a new you", it sounds close to what I'm doing right now, but it's nice to have the EXACT rules, ya know?

Liz53
Sat, Jan-04-14, 11:42
Dr Westman sells a small pamphlet on his plan (not NANY) on amazon. His plan is also at the end of Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat.

mojolissa
Sat, Jan-04-14, 11:47
Thanks Liz :)

JEY100
Sun, Jan-05-14, 17:51
Jimmy Moore writes about the article, books, and offers a prize for your low carb story:
http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/dr-eric-westman-boosts-ketogenic-diet-in-january-2014-womans-world/21649

never2late
Fri, Jan-10-14, 00:25
Woman's World magazine has an article featuring Dr. Eric Westman, Duke University, on low carb. He was one of the authors of "A New Atkins for a New You". It looks like he may have tweaked the diet a little once again. Interesting read.
N2L

teaser
Fri, Jan-10-14, 08:15
It is NOT the same as NANY, DANDR, if anything, the clinic uses something closer to DADR Induction, but with its own rules to make it simpler to follow.

It works. After you reach goal, you can start to test IF you can tolerate more carbs, but many people in the local support group like Lynne, stay around maybe 25-30g. I should too! but stray at times. However, I know if I go back to doing his program as written, whatever pounds have crept on, will come off again.

Here we have a source of clinical evidence that climbing the Atkin's ladder, while maybe useful, isn't necessary. For me, I think never really climbing the carb ladder extinguished my appetite for most carbohydrate-dense foods, and that maybe climbing the ladder would have interfered with this.

Liz53
Fri, Jan-10-14, 10:05
Here we have a source of clinical evidence that climbing the Atkin's ladder, while maybe useful, isn't necessary. For me, I think never really climbing the carb ladder extinguished my appetite for most carbohydrate-dense foods, and that maybe climbing the ladder would have interfered with this.

I'm the same way, Teaser. I think the carb ladder is a great approach for those who actually can add back carbs in time, those whose carb tolerance is still pretty good, but there are some of us (I'd say many of us on these boards) that will never be able to do that. From my attempts at the ladder, I know I can eat a few berries a few times a week, but not with cream, and I can have a small serving of winter squash a few times a year. I can eat almonds and other nuts but must be careful to measure and weigh them rather than just reaching in for a handful (and another and another).

Dr Westman said in an interview with Jimmy Moore that without carbs there is no hunger - that eating carbs creates hunger. Most of the other foods I've tried cause cravings/hunger and/or weight gain and it seems counterproductive to try to eat them. Plus I'm really content most of the time just eating meat and veggies.

ImOnMyWay
Fri, Jan-10-14, 14:42
Bought the magazine to support the cover-boy. It was funny to see these two pages of diet recommendations flanked by recipes on how to create fancy hot cocoa drinks that include crushed or melted candy ("Milky Way Hot Chocolate!" "Starlight Mint Cocoa"), and "sensible" recipes that have nothing to do with the diet.

Women's World is fun to read though.

JEY100
Fri, Jan-10-14, 16:57
WW is a "fun read" ..different than my usual, ;) but they claim to have 6.8 mln readers, and for this week at least, Dr Oz is not on the cover. :thup: Fewer cupcakes and more low carb would have been better. Dr Davis had a huge spread, but then he had a cookbook.
There are many of us who cannot go much above the 20g level that Lynne mentions in her story on AWLR.
N2L, Dr Westman has not tweaked his diet, the brochure is what he used for his original clinical trials, used when I joined almost four years ago, and still uses.

WereBear
Fri, Jan-10-14, 17:46
Bought the magazine to support the cover-boy. It was funny to see these two pages of diet recommendations flanked by recipes on how to create fancy hot cocoa drinks that include crushed or melted candy ("Milky Way Hot Chocolate!" "Starlight Mint Cocoa"), and "sensible" recipes that have nothing to do with the diet.

Isn't that standard for ladies' magazines, though? The cover is either a celebrity with her muffin top air-brushed out or some decadent dessert, while the biggest headline is about yet another diet.