PDA

View Full Version : How we end up believing what we believe (sometimes)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Nancy LC
Tue, Dec-31-13, 10:08
This article illustrates how one industry faction can exploit people's fear, uncertainty and doubt (FUD), to make them believe something that is harmless is dangerous. Something I think the sugar industry has put into motion over the non-caloric sweeteners that threaten its existence.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/12/the-devious-ad-campaign-that-convinced-america-coffee-was-bad-for-kids/282676/

Sunny_0ne
Tue, Dec-31-13, 12:24
This article illustrates how one industry faction can exploit people's fear, uncertainty and doubt (FUD), to make them believe something that is harmless is dangerous. Something I think the sugar industry has put into motion over the non-caloric sweeteners that threaten its existence.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/12/the-devious-ad-campaign-that-convinced-america-coffee-was-bad-for-kids/282676/

I found that fascinating since I was one of those kids who had to drink Postum instead of coffee, while my parents guzzled their coffee. My first big grown-up coffee drinking experience was when I got to drink coffee "saucered and blowed" with my grandparents. :)

I still don't believe that coffee is good for kids, but it was fascinating reading how Post marketed his otherwise unappetizing grain beverage.

teaser
Tue, Dec-31-13, 12:41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ukQz9vd8I

Milky way is good for you ad, '67. (From the comments).

Sunny_0ne
Tue, Dec-31-13, 12:53
That Milky Way ad is incredible! I wonder how many parents felt good about feeding their kids junk after seeing that.

I can't remember whether it was a radio ad for Postum or Ovaltine, but in the 50's, one of the commercials went, "Boys and girls, do you want to be POPULAR? Drink (Ovaltine or Postum)!

And I believed it. :)

Bonnie OFS
Tue, Dec-31-13, 15:13
Made up "facts" to sell products were really common at the turn of the last century. I have a fun book - They Laughed When I Sat Down - about magazine and newspaper advertising at that time. One that I was told as Gospel Truth is that we use only 10% of our brains. That gem was made up by a copywriter for The Pelman Institute of America - a purveyor of correspondence courses to improve brain power.

The old ads are fun - especially the ones for weight loss. Tape worms, anyone? :D

Whofan
Tue, Dec-31-13, 16:03
I clearly remember Milky Ways being marketed in the UK in the 60's as "the treat you can eat between meals without ruining your appetite". I looked it up to be sure, and found out that the version sold to the UK and Australia was lighter and smaller than the US Milky Way. Even so, it was still carbage. Here's the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_Way_(chocolate_bar)

ETA: Just realized the cynicism of marketing chocolate and sugar as something that won't ruin your appetite! They sure weren't lying.

Zei
Tue, Dec-31-13, 21:09
Ah, Postum. My Mom and I used to drink that stuff as a treat with milk and, ahem, sugar, when I was a child. I loved the stuff. This summer traveling through Utah when food shopping I discovered Pero, a similar type of product which I now love with cream and, ahem, fake sugar. Yes, I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints ("Mormon") and never drink coffee or real tea but don't miss what I never drink anyway and just like the Pero's taste. Probably won't go back to Postum even if I see it show up in stores here again, but maybe my mom might if the new stuff tastes the same as she remembers.

Sunny_0ne
Tue, Dec-31-13, 21:22
Zei, it's fun to hear from someone else who drank Postum years ago! :)

keith v
Thu, Jan-02-14, 10:15
Made up "facts" to sell products were really common at the turn of the last century. :D

I'm pretty sure they are even better at using made up facts now.
They are just more subtle about it

MandalayVA
Thu, Jan-02-14, 10:38
I can't remember whether it was a radio ad for Postum or Ovaltine, but in the 50's, one of the commercials went, "Boys and girls, do you want to be POPULAR? Drink (Ovaltine or Postum)!

And I believed it. :)

I'm pretty sure it was Ovaltine. It was fairly heavily advertised for decades.

CarolynC
Thu, Jan-02-14, 10:47
I don't recall drinking Postum or Ovaltine, but I drank a lot of Nestle's Quik (chocolate flavor) with my milk. At least it was whole milk and not skim until the 1980s.

Zei
Thu, Jan-02-14, 10:52
My teenager says if you drink too much Ovaltine you will become an oval teen. :)

Sunny_0ne
Thu, Jan-02-14, 11:35
I'm pretty sure it was Ovaltine. It was fairly heavily advertised for decades.

Thanks, Mandalay!

Too funny about the oval teen, Zei! :D

Nancy LC
Thu, Jan-02-14, 12:06
I'm pretty sure they are even better at using made up facts now.
They are just more subtle about it
Thanks for saying that. I was definitely thinking it. :)