PDA

View Full Version : Houston

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kkhlavinka
Fri, Feb-02-01, 11:38
Anybody out there in Houston?

AL54
Fri, Apr-13-01, 19:50
Hi, I live in NW Houston. Just started this wol, and love it. Following Protein Power. How about you?

kkhlavinka
Mon, Apr-16-01, 06:50
HI. I am rear Rice University. Loved the Protien Power book but I cannot say I am following one book specifically. My husband and I eat more carbs than some allow, less than others--maybe about 50 grams per day. This weekend, we went away for a long weekend and we cheated for the first time. We felt terrible!!! Every carb weighed us down like a rock. I am ready to get back on the wagon.

Our goal is to lose some weight, but also to control my husband's high blood pressure and high chloresterol. So far, this has worked much better for us than the low fat diet ever did.

How about you?

rainny
Wed, May-09-01, 13:14
HI! I'm in Waller, so not to far from you!
Feel free to e-mail me anytime!
lorraine@****
245/220/120
:p

doreen T
Wed, May-09-01, 15:30
Hope you don't mind but I edited your email address, to protect from spammers.

We use a private message system, so if other members wish to contact you, they can just send you a pm. If members wish to exchange emails, they can do so in the private message .. :)

Take care, and hope to read more posts from you about your lowcarb success!

Doreen

rainny
Wed, May-09-01, 17:16
Hi Doreen,
Thank you! I'm so used to doing that. I also want to ad that this is the best group I have found. I'm so happy to be here! The recipes have also come in so handy! Its nice to find ones that REALLY taste good!
Thanks Again,
Lorraine:p

cowgirl
Thu, Sep-27-01, 12:07
I am out on the Katy Prairie. I'm looking forward to going to the Katy Rice Harvest Festival in about 10 days. Should be a blast!
I need to think ahead about the diet - so I don't arrive hungry.

I have horses - who are looking forward to having me weigh less!

Karen B.

Karson
Fri, Nov-23-01, 12:50
Hi ladies, I am in the Willowbrook Mall area of Houston. I am on day 20 of Atkins with some success. Thankfully, Thanksgiving is over and the carbs I cheated with were really yucky. So, I am back on the plan today, gladly. How did the rest of you do?

It would be great to have local support. I would love to here from any of you but don't know how to private message. :wave: Karen

JoAnnAtkin
Sat, Dec-08-01, 16:12
Hi Houston and the Surrounding areas!

My name is Jo Ann from Conroe, Texas........little north of Houston, and I have just been reading and lurking today. I have not decided yet, which , if any low carb diets that I will follow.
I did the Atkins a couple years ago, and gained it all back plus EXTRA! So, I am kinda hesitant to try it again.
I am trying to see if there are any of the low carbs where you don't eat as much fat. Have any of you tried the low carb, by eating say turkey bacon instead of the real pork bacon, etc. I am trying to go at this as healthy as I can. I do have high blood pressure and don't want to make that worse! :(
I read a little from the "Go-Diet" by Jack Goldberg, that seems to stress eating lower fats while lalso low carbing. Any comments on that book?
Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Glad to see so many here in Houston and/or it's surround area.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Jo Ann In Conroe, TEXAS :wave: :wave:

Karson
Sat, Dec-08-01, 19:45
Hi Joann, it is nice to hear from you, even if you are just thinking low carb. Hope you find the WOE for you and have good success. I had tried Atkins in the past with no results. But I am happy to report that I am right at the 20 lb mark in alittle over 1 month. Did you read about Suzanne Sommers diet? It was interesting. This one is just easier for me because it is so straight forward. Plus, my sister, best friend and two coworkers are on it also. Keep in touch.. K :sunny:

JoAnnAtkin
Sun, Dec-09-01, 07:02
:wave: Howdy Karson,

Thank you for responding. I have seen the Suzanne Sommers book, but not really "read" it. Is it low carbing also? My friend did the Sugar Busters and did well on it. She could have the BROWN carbs such as pasta, rice etc.
I was on the Atkins years ago and I know I got really sick of the meat! But, I didn't really do it right as I didn't bring in the veggies like I should have. This time I will do that, no matter which one I should decide to do.
I have seen the Atkins, Protein Power, Low Carb Living, Sugar Busters, now I am waiting on "How I quit my low fat diet and lost 40 Pounds, by Dana Carpender. I have been told that is a good one too.
I don't want to get sick of meat before I even start. The Atkins makes you do the 14 days induction. Wonder what the Protein Power's induction is? Does anyone know that? :q:
I may not start the actual diet until Jan 1. But, I do plan to keep on reading and studying to see which one diet or combined diets will be best for me. The low fat/low calorie is not working for me anymore! I need to lose 40 pounds (high blood pressure) for my health!
Thanks again for responding, and I will appreciate any other responses on the different diets to help me decide. :)

:wave: Jo Ann Atkinson in TEXAS :wave:

vigo
Wed, Jan-16-02, 22:06
I don't know how to log on but to REPLY to someones question. Can anyone tell me how to log on? Pleasssseeeee.

tamarian
Wed, Jan-16-02, 22:08
Originally posted by vigo
I don't know how to log on but to REPLY to someones question. Can anyone tell me how to log on? Pleasssseeeee.

Click on profile to log in, or look at the bottom of the main page, there's a login form.

Wa'il

DivaDani
Thu, Jan-24-02, 10:53
Hi! I'm not in Houston, but Austin seems close enough for me. I just posted an "Anybody in Texas?" thread, and there are already a bunch of you here! I started doing Atkins in October, but then began the Body for Life program in Dec. because I wanted to get in shape. For meals, I'm now doing a LC modified version of BFL (6 meals a day, minimum of 110 g protein, 50-60 carbs because of the increased exertion in my workouts - just in case anyone is curious or wants to know).

JoAnn - Protein Power Phase I Intervention is 30 g of carbs (only 10 more than Atkins), but divided into 10 g per meal and always eaten with a protein portion. Get the book from the library and review if you're thinking of doing it. You can also go to the link on this site that compares the different LC plans. I don't think there's any way to get around the LC cleansing of Induction or Intervention. It's also a good jump start. The thing to remember is that LC is a way of life - not a short term diet. Induction is only two weeks and one small part of the Atkins plan. The OWL and maintenance levels allow many more foods and a higher carb intake, but you have to get there first :D

Trifle
Wed, Feb-06-02, 20:42
Hi Houstonetts, I'm in Cypress (Lakewood forest, not too far from Willowbrook)
On third or fourth day ? (I get so confused without sugar !)
lost 6 pounds, and only 80 to go :p
Does anyone know of a good healthfood store in this area that sells low carb stuff ?
I found all kinds of Atkins and Diabetic food at the Kroger by me, but kind of pricey.

Tina_Tacos
Mon, Dec-30-02, 09:10
Howdy All!
I am in pearland texas and would love to here from you all. I keep falling off the wagon. I really need some staying power. Have any of you started a journal? I figure maybe if I started one that it would help me stay on track. I made up a bunch of "Carb Stuff is Bad!" posters and put them all over the house including my toilet area :rolleyes: I put one on the dashboard of my car so i wont be tempted while im out. it worked for awhile....then came the holidays!
HELP!!!