PDA

View Full Version : Implant that tells you when you’re full

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Demi
Wed, Nov-27-13, 03:20
From The Times
London, UK
27 November, 2013

Implant that tells you when you’re full may replace gastric bands

An implant that prevents weight gain by sending out signals to block appetite has been developed by scientists. The device, which was shown to be effective at reducing weight in obese mice, could provide an alternative to gastric band surgery. The implant contains genetically engineered cells, designed to respond to fat in the bloodstream by producing a powerful hormone signal that tells the brain: “You’re full, stop eating.”

Martin Fussenegger, who led the research at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich, said that the human natural feedback circuit is weaker because it takes into account factors such as whether we find food tasty. “Often we override our sensing circuitry because we like the food and want to eat more,” he said. “The implant short-circuits this, giving an appetite- reducing signal.”

Professor Fussenegger hopes to develop a similar implant for use in humans, but not everybody is convinced. Sir Stephen O’Rahilly, a professor of Clinical Biochemistry and Medicine at the University of Cambridge, said: “This is elegant technology, but its likely applicability to humans in the near future is low.”

The implant, described yesterday in the journal Nature Communications, comprised gel capsules each containing hundreds of human cells. These were genetically engineered to increase the activity of a gene, PPAR-alpha, which responds to circulating fats in the body.

The cells were modified so that when the PPAR-alpha gene was activated, it triggered the production of pramlintide, a hormone which suppresses appetite.

A few hundred capsules were implanted in overweight mice, and they stopped eating and lost weight. As blood-fat levels returned to normal, the implant stopped producing the “satiety” signal.

“The mice lost weight, although we kept giving them as much high-calorie food as they could eat,” Professor Fussenegger said. Mice that were a healthy weight and on a normal diet did not lose weight or reduce their intake of food when they had the device implanted.

The researchers hope that, in humans, the capsules could be put in a sachet that would be inserted under the skin. Professor Fussenegger said that it might be necessary to use genetically engineered copies of a patient’s cells to prevent rejection by the immune system — and that could be costly. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/science/article3933123.ece

From Nature Communications
26 November, 2013

A closed-loop synthetic gene circuit for the treatment of diet-induced obesity in mice

ABSTRACT

Diet-induced obesity is a lifestyle-associated medical condition that increases the risk of developing cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes and certain types of cancer. Here we report the design of a closed-loop genetic circuit that constantly monitors blood fatty acid levels in the setting of diet-associated hyperlipidemia and coordinates reversible and adjustable expression of the clinically licensed appetite-suppressing peptide hormone pramlintide. Grafting of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-α onto the phloretin-responsive repressor TtgR produces a synthetic intracellular lipid-sensing receptor (LSR) that reversibly induces chimeric TtgR-specific promoters in a fatty acid-adjustable manner. Mice with diet-induced obesity in which microencapsulated cells engineered for LSR-driven expression of pramlintide are implanted show significant reduction in food consumption, blood lipid levels and body weight when put on a high-fat diet. Therapeutic designer circuits that monitor levels of pathologic metabolites and link these with the tailored expression of protein pharmaceuticals may provide new opportunities for the treatment of metabolic disorders.Read the full article here: http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2013/131126/ncomms3825/full/ncomms3825.html

teaser
Wed, Nov-27-13, 07:32
Martin Fussenegger, who led the research at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich, said that the human natural feedback circuit is weaker because it takes into account factors such as whether we find food tasty. “Often we override our sensing circuitry because we like the food and want to eat more,” he said. “The implant short-circuits this, giving an appetite- reducing signal.”

I suspect this is only part-right. I don't think butter on steak is less palatable than ice cream, for instance. One thing it is is more obviously fatty. The fact that the implant seems to trump palatability in the rodents is telling. But I don't think it's "palatability" that's overpowering things, I think it's maybe the weakness of the gut-sensing at work.

Whatsa difference between ice-cream and steak with butter--or greasy sausage? Even between cream and butter? One is more obviously fatty, greasy than the other. If that's obvious to our conscious senses, why wouldn't it be easier to to detect with those unconscious senses?

Heavy cream in coffee is a staller for me. Oooh, calories, right? But if I take a cup of whipping cream, whip it up with some cocoa and instant coffee and a bit of sweetener--suddenly it's diet food. I can drink half a liter of cream in my coffee a day, easily--good luck to me whipping and eating that much cream--I'll feel stuffed in no time.

A bit of serendipity here, assuming I know what that word means. :lol: I just posted this in my journal this morning;

On another note... all that stuff about "true" hunger, and being able to tell the difference... I've thought it's poppycock for a while, but my view gets adjusted by my own recent experience.

I still get thoughts like--hmm, maybe it would be nice to melt a pound of cheese in the microwave and then eat it with a pound of ketchup. But then my gut sends back--appreciate the suggestion. Really, I do. But I just can't do it. I'm stuffed. Not gonna happen. With the higher protein, the same urges had me melting that cheese. Or eating big bowls of flaxseed and cream "cereal." Be nice to say I've gotten better at controlling those urges... but I bloody well haven't. It's just, between the mind/palatability urge to eat, and the gut--the gut wins. If the gut and mind agree on anything, then look out.

This could be taken as describing the urges as "non-hunger"--so if you eat on these urges, you're eating without hunger. Well... okay. The initial urge might not be hunger--but in the absence of real hunger, you might be able to shrug the urge off---and if you eat, I suspect most of the time it's not the urge that you're succumbing to, it's the hunger. A zillion times easier to tempt a hungry man.

WereBear
Wed, Nov-27-13, 08:55
I was discussing this subject with a friend just the other day. That when I ate that salad with the fat-free dressing and the pasta with the lowfat sauce and no meat... I was "full."

But two hours later I'd run over her, wearing golf shoes, just to tear off the fridge door and eat it. That's how hungry I would be.

M Levac
Sun, Jan-05-14, 14:04
Here's an interesting experiment to explain PPAR-alpha: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16054078?ordinalpos=5&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

The implant would merely do what the liver normally does. The implication is that obese humans have a problem with the liver, or that we don't eat enough fat to trigger the normal response. Instead of an implant, maybe we should eat more fat.

Also, the idea that we eat more because the food is more tasty is wrong. Food always tastes better when we're hungry, and loses its tastiness when we're full. Eat more fat, get full, food loses its tastiness.

If food continues to taste great even after we're full, then maybe it ain't food after all. If it ain't food, maybe it ain't so good for us. An implant won't change the nature of this food-like stuff.