PDA

View Full Version : Thumbs up for lowcarb in big Swedish study comparing diets

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Fransson
Mon, Sep-23-13, 03:09
Article (http://www.svd.se/nyheter/inrikes/experter-lchf-den-mest-effektiva-dieten_8541310.svd)

This very interesting article gives a summary of a study made by a Swedish govenmental organisation. The leading experts in Sweden have been working for years analysing thousands of studies done mosrtly during the last ten years. The conclusion is that lowcarb is the most effective diet for weightloss and that it is completely safe and should be in the list of diets that are recommended by the medical profession.

The article is in Swedish. I have run it through Google translate and fixed it up a little:

Svenska Dagbladet 2013-09-23
By Henrik Ennart

Experts: LCHF the most effective regimen

There is no proven increased risk of cardiovascular disease by strict low carbohydrate diet. LCHF diet is also most effective for a six month term to lose weight for people with obesity. It shows a new SBU report which is expected to result carb offered as one of several default options in health care.

Hardly anyone has been able to escape the recent big fat war between representatives of low carbohydrate diets and school medicine message about the benefits of a low fat diet .

After two and a half years of work today unveiled the Swedish Council on Medical technology Assessment , SBU, a major review of the research in trying to find answers to the question of how the various dietary guidelines can help obese people to lose weight .

A wide selection of the country's leading experts have analyzed thousands of studies which a large part of the past ten years. The controversial result is in more than one way a prestige victory for the contested low carbohydrate diet .

• Low carbohydrate diets , even the strict , giving greater weight loss at six months for persons with obesity, compared with low fat diet.

• This is done without the researchers pinpointed some negative effects on blood lipids while the weight remains lower.

• There is no whatsoever evidence that low carbohydrate diet would increase the risk of heart disease.

• There is no evidence that even low-carbohydrate diet high in saturated fat would lead to increased risk of heart disease. As the research base is limited in this respect , according to the SBU, yet be cause for some caution with too much saturated fat.

- The most important result I think, is that we have not found any evidence of increased health risks as a result of low carbohydrate diets , says Jonas Lindblom , Project Manager at SBU.

He points out that this has been a recurrent concern . As recently as last summer, several professors went out and warned that a worsening of cardiac health among younger women could be due to carb - diet. Other researchers responded to this with rather relating it with changes in smoking behavior in this group.

- We did not find any support in the research for low carbohydrate diet would lead to poor heart health or increased mortality, says Jonas Lindblom.

SBU does not usually give any own dietary recommendations .

- However, a reasonable interpretation of our report should be to healthcare in the future also offer low carbohydrate diet as an option for patients with obesity, says Jonas Lindblom.

In the longer term effect on weight seems to wane and differences from other diets blurred. One probable explanation is that adherence declines with time .

A likely consequence of the SBU report is that health care in the future more active will offer low-carbohydrate diet for the obese patients who so desire for short-term weight reduction.

SBU report relates to effects on persons with obesity, with a BMI over 30 , mainly in respect of weight , but also health. The review does not apply to links between food and health in the general population .

All different investigated diets leads to decreased weight , which motivates a wide range of variants of the dietary guidelines. Advice on strict low carbohydrate diet has so far been very rare in healthcare.

The benefits in the short term, both the moderate low carbohydrate diet with a carbohydrate intake below 40 percent of the total energy intake , and strict low carbohydrate diet where carbohydrate intake provides more than 20 percent of the total energy.

The strict low carbohydrate diet also leads , according to the analysis , in the short term to improved glucose levels for people with obesity and diabetes, and to marginally decreased triglycerides.

In the long run there are no differences in efficacy between weight loss tips on strict and moderate carbohydrate diet , low-fat diets , high protein diet , Mediterranean diet , diet with a low glycemic load diet or a high proportion of monounsaturated fats. Advice on higher intake of dairy products or reduced intake of sugary drinks can also lead to weight loss.

SBU also notes that there are still major gaps in knowledge , and that the long term effects in individuals with obesity are better documented for the Mediterranean diet than other diets , including low fat and lowcarb diet.

Groggy60
Mon, Sep-23-13, 09:32
I wonder if there is any actual research going on anymore or if all research is combing through other research for epidemiology studies. Pretty soon well have epidemiology results based on epidemiology research based on epidemiology studies considering there are so many of them.

Be nice if they could come out and say low-fat is a failure and is bad for you rather then low-carb might be ok.

teaser
Mon, Sep-23-13, 11:18
Groups like the one that did this study are fairly influential when it comes to what kinds of intervention studies will get funding. Ah, so who knows. Maybe this will lead somewhere good.

JEY100
Thu, Sep-26-13, 03:57
Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt has four new posts about the Report itself and the coverage of it in Sweden’s largest daily newspaper. 9/23/13

Www.dietdoctor.com

Last Fears Swept Away. Google translate:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=sv&tl=en&prev=_dd&u=http://www.svd.se/nyheter/inrikes/perspektiv-lchf-kan-vara-mest-effektiva-vapnet-mot-fetma_8545070.svd

WereBear
Thu, Sep-26-13, 04:33
Epidemiology speaking, this "experiment" has been a disaster.

Studies show that the American public has dropped their fat and upped their exercise. "Authorities" attempts to explain how we wound up so much sicker has been to claim that we haven't done that.

ojoj
Sun, Oct-20-13, 12:25
has this been posted already ???

This a "run down" by one of my favourite "experts" of the latest information from Sweden

http://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2013/10/20/sweden-gets-is-right/

Jo xxx

JEY100
Sun, Oct-20-13, 14:47
Swedish info is here, but not Dr. Kendrick's take on it.
Which reminds me, I am adding his blog to my LC RSS list right now...I love his writing. Thanks, Jo

ojoj
Sun, Oct-20-13, 14:49
Swedish info is here, but not Dr. Kendrick's take on it.
Which reminds me, I am adding his blog to my LC RSS list right now...I love his writing. Thanks, Jo

He's lovely isnt he!

Jo xxx

aj_cohn
Sun, Oct-20-13, 19:54
Not to diminish Dr. Kendrick's stature, but the Swedish Council on Health Technology Assessment has just endorsed (http://www.dietdoctor.com/swedish-expert-committee-low-carb-diet-effective-weight-loss) a LCHF diet as safe and effective for weight loss in the short term. (The reason for not endorsing it for the long term is in the blog post).