PDA

View Full Version : Aspartame

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

SarahDS
Thu, Jul-04-13, 12:24
Do why is aspartame a no no? I mean I don't love artificial sweetemers but I was going to make myself some sugar free jello but bit has aspartame in it. Is it somehow different on the body than Splenda for example?

Nancy LC
Thu, Jul-04-13, 13:04
Some people think it is worse for you than sucralose. It is more for general health reasons than dieting reasons. Neither one should affect your blood sugar.

Elfie
Thu, Jul-04-13, 14:26
Some studies are showing they aren't as harmless to diabetics as they originally thought. From a study posted in Diabetes Care:

"But recent findings in animal studies suggest that some sweeteners may be doing more than just making foods and drinks taste sweeter. One finding indicates that the gastrointestinal tract and the pancreas can detect sweet foods and drinks with receptors that are virtually identical to those in the mouth. That causes an increased release of hormones, such as insulin."

Which results eventually in insulin resistance. I avoid artificial sweeteners. I think there is way too much we don't know about them and, as a diabetic, it's probably more of a concern to me than someone who isn't since my goal is to stay off insulin.

Elizellen
Fri, Jul-05-13, 04:29
Dr Atkins' reason in DANDR was this Avoid aspartame. Although the cause is as yet unknown, clinical observations show that certain individuals find weight loss slows with excessive intake of aspartame, the artificial sweetener sold as NutraSweet, and Equal®. and Stay away, however, from caffeine and diet sodas full of aspartame-both increase carbohydrate cravings.

LosingMe16
Fri, Jul-05-13, 05:57
Diet soda (aspartame filled) addiction is supposedly harder to kick than regular soda, too. I have a couple of close family members that are diet soda fiends and can't break the habit NOR lose weight. My mom has been yo-yoing weight for years and still won't put the Diet Coke away.

I personally stick with stevia if I want to add a little sweet to my foods -- it's not artificial, not a sugar alcohol, yet is calorie/carb free...and if you get the right brand, it's not half bad either. I don't use it much though, just when I have whipped cream or sometimes added to my shakes in the morning if I want it to be a little sweeter. Oh and in coffee when I was having coffee (eliminated my one cup a day this week).

SarahDS
Fri, Jul-05-13, 08:04
great thanks you. I just wanted some ddessert yesterday while everyone else was eating strawberry shorcakes... I made sugar free jello (which unfortunately is made with aspartame) and whip cream with Stevia. I dont consume aspartame every day so i think i am OK.
When I do drink diet coke i get the kind with splenda which is a little better i think.

2bthinner!
Fri, Jul-05-13, 08:24
You can make your own sugar free jell-o.

1 packet of unsweetened kool-aid. Any flavor.
1 packet of unflavored gelatin
1 cup hot water
4 packets of Stevia
1 cup cold water.

I mix the kool-aid, gelatin and stevia in the hot water, add the cold water. Divide among four ramekins and refrigerate.

I have to as aspartame makes me ill. And Splenda makes my kidneys hurt...

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=217797

teaser
Fri, Jul-05-13, 11:19
Stay away, however, from caffeine and diet sodas full of aspartame-both increase carbohydrate cravings.

I think it`s just as likely that liking diet sodas is a symptom of carbohydrate cravings, rather than the other way around. Last week I ate twenty bananas a day for three days (I was trying to do potato only for five days. Turns out I hate potatoes, so I switched to bananas on day three). When I started eating the bananas... suddenly my diet ginger-ale tasted too sweet. Sugar overload for me equaled a decreased liking for sweetness.

Nancy LC
Fri, Jul-05-13, 11:42
IME diet soda doesn't cause carb cravings.

SarahDS
Fri, Jul-05-13, 17:31
You can make your own sugar free jell-o.

1 packet of unsweetened kool-aid. Any flavor.
1 packet of unflavored gelatin
1 cup hot water
4 packets of Stevia
1 cup cold water.

I mix the kool-aid, gelatin and stevia in the hot water, add the cold water. Divide among four ramekins and refrigerate.

I have to as aspartame makes me ill. And Splenda makes my kidneys hurt...

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=217797

This is great, thanks!

KristyRusi
Fri, Jul-05-13, 18:12
I have a friend who did LC many years ago when it first came out as the new fad diet, he lost a LOT of weight and lost his team supporter so he quit too (he's a very "buddy system" kinda guy). He was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes around January of this year, and when we all got on plan and him and his sister moved back to town they started the plan too. They've only been in it about a month, and he's already cheated/attempted to stop twice. We've called intervention to try and keep him motivated because of all of us he needs this the most considering his health issues and his topping weight at 405lbs. This entire time he WILL NOT drink water, he sucks down diet sodas (even if they have splenda) and might drink a single 20oz of water a day and wonders why he isn't losing weight. .... a soda with a meal if you just can't stand it is fine, but really you should be drinking water. And I think that certain brands of jello do use splenda if you look for them. Oddly enough i think the knockoff brands use non-aspertame more than the name brands. Otherwise i got several sweet treat dessert recipes if you want them :).