PDA

View Full Version : legumes are not limited in low carb ?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

shahab13
Mon, Jul-01-13, 07:05
Hi,

In a south beach diet plan website I saw that legumes are allowed as vegtables. Does it mean there is no limit on legumes in low carb diet?

I love beans in tomato sauce. Can I make it at home and eat it?

Thanks in advance for your help :-)

Shahab.

Liz53
Mon, Jul-01-13, 07:19
It depends on the plan. Yes, SBD allows them in induction. Atkins allows them in small amounts as you climb the carb ladder. And, the bottom line is that some can tolerate them, others can't.

Tomatoes are a relatively carb-y vegetable (technically a fruit). For me the combo of beans + tomatoes would be too much. I would suggest if you try it that you 1) start with a very small portion and 2) be aware of increased hunger or cravings or weight gain.

jem51
Mon, Jul-01-13, 09:32
SB allows beans in measured amts!! AND those beans in tomato sauce may have sugar.

Oh, sorry, didn't see the part about homemade.......

It's be a good idea to really read the book thoroughly.

Judynyc
Mon, Jul-01-13, 09:34
Hi,

In a south beach diet plan website I saw that legumes are allowed as vegtables. Does it mean there is no limit on legumes in low carb diet?

I love beans in tomato sauce. Can I make it at home and eat it?

Thanks in advance for your help :-)

Shahab.
South Beach does allow for beans/legumes from phase I onwards. But they are limited to 2 servings a day. A serving size is 1/3-1/2 cup.

Yes, you can make your own in tomato sauce but keep portion control in mind when eating them. :)

Glendora
Mon, Jul-01-13, 09:37
Also, know that South Beach is not technically "low carb." I believe it's considered moderate carb if done correctly.

I have seen it work for many people. Good luck!

Judynyc
Mon, Jul-01-13, 09:56
Also, know that South Beach is not technically "low carb." I believe it's considered moderate carb if done correctly.

I have seen it work for many people. Good luck!
I beg to differ as I see it a on the high on of the low carb scale. :)
Low carb is not only 20 grams a day on induction of Atkins. :nono:

Glendora
Mon, Jul-01-13, 10:03
I beg to differ as I see it a on the high on of the low carb scale. :)
Low carb is not only 20 grams a day on induction of Atkins. :nono:

Oh, I know that. :)

Compared to the SAD, it's quite low-carb. I guess you're right: higher end of the low-carb scale.

Liz53
Mon, Jul-01-13, 10:08
It seems like the definitions are a little fuzzy. I've seen low carb end at 100 grams of carbs per day and I've seen it defined as high as 150 grams. I followed SBD for 4 years and I'm guessing (since I did not track) I ate between 50 and 100 grams of carbs each day. Eventually I had to go lower and once I got over my irrational fear of saturated fat (thanks to Gary Taubes), Atkins seemed a better fit.

shahab13
Tue, Jul-02-13, 02:11
Thanks for all of your answers :wave: Yes South Beach really works. I did lose 18 kg in 6 months last time I was on it (8kg on first 2 weeks). Then I started my thesis and became really lousy and still took me more than 1,5 year to come back to the previous weight.

Elfie
Tue, Jul-02-13, 08:14
You probably need to 'define' low carb, as we all have differing ideas. The local diabetic clinic thinks low carb is around 140-160gms per day because the general population eats about 300+. As many of us (diabetics) find, that's way too high.

While trying to reverse my insulin resistance, I followed Dr. Bernstein's advice and ate no more than 10 carbs per meal and then only from green vegies. Now that I'm off all insulin and have an A1C of 5-6, and my insulin resistance is reversed, I still stay around 20-25gm per meal...which I consider low because all it does is get me my vegies.

KristyRusi
Thu, Jul-04-13, 01:50
My hubbys mom did low carb (i think atkins) years ago and lost a LOT of weight, she's only like 5 foot tall and was as big around as she was tall, but got down to a size 7-8 i believe. She had gotten a stressful job and let herself balloon right back up to where she was, she ended up having a very mild heartattack on her 50th birthday. After that she was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and went onto South Beach Diet. She's only lost 20lbs in about 7 months, it is NOT treating her well. So i would say go for it if you like easing into things, but once you've went low carb (truly low carb) going "moderately low carb" might not work for you. JMO. :)