PDA

View Full Version : Long-term or Short-term?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Nancy LC
Sun, Jun-23-13, 09:36
Are you in this for the long-haul, or the short-haul? :lol:

Short-term thinking:
=====================
How can I lose weight and still eat/drink ____?
What can I eat that tastes exactly like _____?
Can I have a weekly "cheat" day?
Looking forward to adding bread/cereal/pasta back into the diet.
What can I do to make this go faster? (So I can get back to regular eating faster)
I don't care what ingredient is in it if it tastes good.
I need to lose N pounds by xx/xx/xxxx
"Everybody else" is eating XYZ!
When is the potato chip level in Atkins?
I can't eat all that bacon and eggs! It isn't healthy!
Margarine.
"It can't be gluten because people have been eating that for centuries and skinny people eat it."
"I'm sure it's not dairy because I can't live without it."
"It can't be artificial sweeteners because Atkins allowed them."
"Weighing and recording everything I eat is unnatural and too much trouble."
Focus on what "can't" have.
Eating off plan, as to not hurt someone else's feelings.
Bargaining, justifying, blaming others, and getting as close to off plan as possible with out technically breaking the rules.
X is losing so much faster than I am..I must be doing something wrong...I need to tweek and tweek and tweek.
How often can I have a cheat day and eat (insert something sugary)?

Long-term thinking:
======================
Maybe these products with long lists of ingredients aren't so good for me.
Why did I get so healthy eating whole foods? Maybe I should continue doing this...
Was I brain-washed about grains and fats?
What new foods can I enjoy eating to replace the ones I don't eat now?
Has anyone posted any new recipes I can try?
I feel like crap today. Was it because of something I ate yesterday?
Gee... why do I feel bloated and have terrible gas, constipation, diarrhea, heartburn, asthma, zits, etc, after eating grains?
I'm not losing weight, but I'll never go back to eating high carbs, my health improvements are astonishing.
"If I have to give up gluten, I'll give up gluten."
"If I have to give up dairy, I'll give up dairy."
"If I have to give up artificial sweeteners, I'll give up artificial sweeteners."
"If I have to weigh and record every morsel of food, I'll weigh and record every morsel of food."
Hmmm... pork belly? Interesting!
Everybody else" is gaining weight and exhibiting wacky blood sugars.
More bacon, please!
Butter (or ghee, coconut oil, bacon drippings, etc)
Focus on what can have.
Refusing to eat off plan, even if it does hurt someone's feelings.
No excuses and tightening the rules to fit our own eating experiments.
I may not be losing fast like X but I'm sticking to it, staying to plan, feeling healthier, my health markers are awesome, I'll keep on, keepn' on.
I am addicted to sugar and like any addict cannot have it at all.

cnmLisa
Sun, Jun-23-13, 10:37
Well...you know where I stand :)

(After cooking bacon this morning and telling my boyfriend--"sh#t, the bacon grease container is full...and I don't want to throw away that in the pan...guess I'll fry some kale and over-easy eggs with it. He doesn't blink an eye and will save the bacon grease for me--ya gotta love it!)

Progress (for the long haul) not perfection.

Lisa

livinright
Sun, Jun-23-13, 10:46
When I first started Atkins, it was definitely with short-term thinking. :)
Funny how things changed as I learned more and felt better.

Nancy LC
Sun, Jun-23-13, 11:48
Don't feel bad, I made that evolution too. I'd still like to lose weight, if I can ever figure out why my body won't cooperate, but I'm in it for the health benefits.

kaylakala
Sun, Jun-23-13, 12:31
I was going to do atkins then switch to weight watchers because it was supposed to be "healthier"
Now with the research I've done and knowing how awful I feel when I am not watching what I eat I'm in it for the long haul. Weight loss or not.

Nancy LC
Sun, Jun-23-13, 12:35
Let's compile a list of short/long term thinking. What would you all add? Maybe it'll help some newcomers out.

kaylakala
Sun, Jun-23-13, 12:47
The pattern I see with those of us that are long term is being more in tune with what we eat and how it affects the way we feel.
Long term totally dumping conventional wisdom and feeling good.
I notice we go a more paleo route. As in basic meat and veggies.
Something about those awful sugar alcohols. Well they are awful for me anyhow.

DiscDiva
Sun, Jun-23-13, 13:21
LOL! The "potato chip" level in Atkins! :lol: As Kaylakala said, I noticed I'm eating more paleo/primal the longer I practice this WOE. I'm not making MIMs or othe lowcarber recipes; just eating meat and veggies!

DiscDiva
Sun, Jun-23-13, 13:22
Oh, and fat: butter, lard, tallow, etc...

sarahnya
Sun, Jun-23-13, 14:23
I think I'm in for the long run after being convinced how bad grains are on a daily basis. When I get to my target weight I would like to have the odd bowl of berries with cream a couple of times a week and perhaps the odd low carb home-made chocolate desert but I think I can control my cravings.

Nancy LC
Sun, Jun-23-13, 14:54
Berries are a fine low carb dessert. Nothing wrong with berries, IMHO. :)

WereBear
Sun, Jun-23-13, 14:54
Short term:
"Everybody else" is eating XYZ!

Long term:
Everybody else" is gaining weight and exhibiting wacky blood sugars.

cnmLisa
Sun, Jun-23-13, 15:02
Berries are a fine low carb dessert. Nothing wrong with berries, IMHO. :)
I agree a few berries, 1/2 apple with Brie, melon wrapped in procuitto, a fresh fig or two with Greek yogurt all part of a LC way of life if your individual metabolism can support it.

Short Term: X is losing so much faster than I am..I must be doing something wrong...I need to tweek and tweek and tweek.

Long Term: I may not be losing fast like X but I'm sticking to it, staying to plan, feeling healthier, my health markers are awesome, I'll keep on, keepn' on.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

2thinchix
Sun, Jun-23-13, 15:43
well, I'd like to say full-on long haul.....but I'm disappointed to say that I'm not
eeing all these healh benefits everyone is talking about. I've list 30 pounds, and I'll keep going, but I still struggle with pretty much the same problems I had 4 months ago ...with the one exception of no more heart burn.

livinright
Sun, Jun-23-13, 15:47
Short-term:
Bargaining, justifying, blaming others, and getting as close to off plan as possible with out technically breaking the rules.
Long-term:
Focus on what can have.

I actually had food shoved in my face 2 times last weekend.
My daughter said "just one bite, or I'll feel bad." I told her I'd feel bad if I ate that and how I felt was more important at the moment. Her reply was "you'll at least have a little bite of the cake grandma made, right?" Um, nope!

The next night, my neighbor shoved LC sweets in my face. When I told her no thanks, I wasn't hungry. She tried to talk me into it and then huffed as she gave up. We'd just eaten about an hour before. I think she just wanted an eating buddy to validate her post meal snack. lol

bike2work
Sun, Jun-23-13, 20:50
long term:

"If I have to give up gluten, I'll give up gluten."
"If I have to give up dairy, I'll give up dairy."
"If I have to give up artificial sweeteners, I'll give up artificial sweeteners."
"If I have to weigh and record every morsel of food, I'll weigh and record every morsel of food."

short term:

"It can't be gluten because people have been eating that for centuries and skinny people eat it."
"I'm sure it's not dairy because I can't live without it."
"It can't be artificial sweeteners because Atkins allowed them."
"Weighing and recording everything I eat is unnatural and too much trouble."

Nancy LC
Sun, Jun-23-13, 20:55
Great ones, guys! I've added them to the one on top.

Cocoatime
Sun, Jun-23-13, 21:43
Short-term:
Long-term:
Focus on what can have.

I actually had food shoved in my face 2 times last weekend.
My daughter said "just one bite, or I'll feel bad." I told her I'd feel bad if I ate that and how I felt was more important at the moment. Her reply was "you'll at least have a little bite of the cake grandma made, right?" Um, nope!

The next night, my neighbor shoved LC sweets in my face. When I told her no thanks, I wasn't hungry. She tried to talk me into it and then huffed as she gave up. We'd just eaten about an hour before. I think she just wanted an eating buddy to validate her post meal snack. lol

Ugggh, family is the worst. My sister does that to me all the time. Nice job saying no!

leemack
Mon, Jun-24-13, 07:34
Short term - How often can I have a cheat day and eat (insert something sugary)?

Long term - I am addicted to sugar and like any addict cannot have it at all.

DiscDiva
Mon, Jun-24-13, 07:52
Short term - OMG, when can I eat next?

Long term - Oh sh*t, I forgot to eat!

kaylakala
Mon, Jun-24-13, 12:55
Long term Time to take these clothes to the thrift shop they're way to big.

short term. I'd better hang on to my fat jeans!

Whofan
Mon, Jun-24-13, 13:25
Great thread idea, Nancy. I'm sure it would be useful to newcomers, maybe even deserving of a sticky.

I've been guilty of this one, even in maintenance, and I should certainly know better: "getting as close to off plan as possible with out technically breaking the rules". And you know what? IT DOESN'T WORK because that kind of thinking will always, inevitably lead you to break the rules eventually. Then gain weight.

kaylakala
Mon, Jun-24-13, 13:34
Great thread idea, Nancy. I'm sure it would be useful to newcomers, maybe even deserving of a sticky.

I've been guilty of this one, even in maintenance, and I should certainly know better: "getting as close to off plan as possible with out technically breaking the rules". And you know what? IT DOESN'T WORK because that kind of thinking will always, inevitably lead you to break the rules eventually. Then gain weight.

Yes great idea Nancy!

lol that is sooo true about not technically breaking the rules!!

Cleveland
Mon, Jun-24-13, 14:45
Don't feel bad, I made that evolution too. I'd still like to lose weight, if I can ever figure out why my body won't cooperate, but I'm in it for the health benefits.
Well I look at this way- I may not be losing, but at least I'm not bloated, miserable, tired and gaining like I was pre low carb.

And by the way I LOVE this thread.all so true from sweetners to skinny people eating carbs so it must be ok...

FREE2BEME
Mon, Jun-24-13, 18:58
Short-term:

"It's TOM/Stressful time at work/I'm sick or I've reached my next mini-goal, so I DESERVE to eat this".

"I'll get back on track tomorrow...or the next day...or the next day".

Kristine
Tue, Jun-25-13, 06:10
Great thread. :thup:

Short term: "someone give me a list of pre-packaged foods and meals to eat. Cooking and decision-making is too much work."

Long term: "If I have time to watch TV and mess around on the internet, I can take ten minutes to prepare real food."

Elfie
Tue, Jul-02-13, 08:51
Short term - OMG, when can I eat next?

Long term - Oh sh*t, I forgot to eat!

Yeah...love this. :thup:

JEY100
Tue, Jul-02-13, 10:02
Great thread, Nancy. Thanks for starting it, ditto that it be saved as a "best of" or newbie advice.

Glendora
Tue, Jul-02-13, 10:03
Long-term for me...hopefully, forever.

I just can't see any other way of eating that will work for me going forward.

Glendora
Tue, Jul-02-13, 10:04
Great thread. :thup:

Short term: "someone give me a list of pre-packaged foods and meals to eat. Cooking and decision-making is too much work."

Long term: "If I have time to watch TV and mess around on the internet, I can take ten minutes to prepare real food."

Oh my goodness, SO VERY TRUE. I am the queen of "But I'm just so busy!" Well, here I am typing on an internet forum, LOL. Obviously, there are 10 free minutes in here somewhere. :lol:

Merralea
Tue, Jul-02-13, 11:06
Maybe not as common, but one I've dealt with...
Short-term thinking: I won't start strength training until I'm at my goal weight, because I don't want the scale to slow down.
Long-term thinking: I'll start strength training now, even if it means my weight loss will slow, as it doesn't mean my fat loss has.

CMCM
Tue, Jul-02-13, 13:50

Boy, is this ever true true true! It's the "a tiny bit of this won't hurt even though it's wildly off plan" leads to a slippery slope of more and more of "this or that". And yes, weight gain ALWAYS follows.

Whofan
Tue, Jul-02-13, 16:40
Yeah, that one was originally posted by Livinright and it really struck a chord with me.

RainyDays
Sun, Jul-07-13, 14:32
These are all so great!!

Kristine, I love the quotes in your siggy. I think the info in them applies to this topic quite well:

<<"Every day is day one." - cnmLisa
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favourable do nothing." - William Feather
"Cheating is the abdication of responsibility and control" - Di Bauer >>

I came here today seeking answers to some things that have been hanging me up, and I've found all of them and then some!! Thank you all so much!

LosingMe16
Sun, Jul-07-13, 15:16
I'm 100% long term and was from the day that I started. I have not ingested any excess carbs for any particular reason...and I don't want to! Reading and researching (and knowing prior) the evil that is sugar and excess carb to one's body has thrown me totally off of wanting any of it. As I go along I am almost MORE careful than I was on the first day; I keep reading more reference materials obsessively and gleaning more knowledge.

Even having foods in the house that I used to eat all the time doesn't make me want them. I really do not care about them and know they would just ruin everything if I even tried one little bite. The kids and boyfriend ate cinnamon rolls over the past two days...there wasn't even a moment I wanted it.

I think that everyone is different. I've found some foods that I genuinely love that are low-carb and I stick to them. I am not much of a cook, so I don't even try fancy recipes and replacements for things...I just eat what I know and what is easy. I also, of course, don't have all of the negative side effects that a lot of people do on this type of diet. I have more energy, mental focus and am just a happier person when I am eating "correctly". At work this week I felt like my brain was working ten times better than it has in years, and I got a lot of meaningful work done because of it.

I feel like me feeling good and healthy is more of a priority so it brings me into a "long term" state of mind without a care of going into "short term" thinking.

hysteria
Sun, Jul-07-13, 18:56
Short term - I dislike cooking so I am going to eat these 10 / 15 things forever

Long term - Learning to cook / prepare in advance many different LC dishes

Caroxx
Sun, Jul-07-13, 21:06
When I'm waiting to check out at the store, there are times I cannot believe what other people have in their carts. Low cal this and low fat that, all processed. I'm grateful I know better now. A "diet" that allows me lots of leafy greens and meats and, yes, fats ... I'm full and I don't often need sweets. When I do, there are a couple of easy and allowed things I can have.

I've always cooked at home; never been much for prepared stuff. This time (not the first) it somehow it seems I can do this and stick to it! I don't feel deprived, I feel satisfied. It is long term for me.

Caroxx

Nancy LC
Mon, Jul-08-13, 08:57
There's two ways you can limit your eating options:

The good way: Because you're happy with what you're eating and you don't really feel the need for a lot of variety. I fall into this one fairly often.

The bad way: Because you can't see that there are zillions of options available to you on low carb, or because you (think you) can't or don't want to cook. You want your food delivered to you in a sealed bundle you can slam in the microwave, or pick up in a drive-thru. You're resentful, and bored but too unmotivated to make the life changes needed to create food more engaging to your senses or recognize more variety. You bemoan the lack of variety while failing to see the huge variety there is by doing something like... going to the cooking forums and thumbing through the recipes.

Verbena
Mon, Jul-08-13, 10:46
"Food is fuel" .... Well, yes and no. It fuels our bodies, obviously. We won't get very far if we stop eating entirely. But for me it is also one of the joys of life, and one of the main ways I express my creativity. I love to cook, and I love to eat good food, and I truly enjoy reading cookbooks, and cooking blogs, and the recipe section on this forum. I have always felt that reading cookbooks has helped me through the deprivation of low cal. dieting - if I can't eat it then I can at least read about it LOL. I realize that this is not for everyone, but then, I don't think that I have a true "eating disorder", for lack of a better term. I don't crave sweets; haven't for 50 years, since I weaned myself off sugar. I have a hard time understanding what it means to "binge". I am overweight, I believe, from inattention, more than anything else, as well as a misplaced belief in what I've been told is a healthy way to eat. I also adore fresh, homebaked bread LOL. But since starting a low carb way of eating last January I have no cravings whatsoever, though a certain sadness when thinking of things like bread. I enjoy the challenge of finding delicious ways to combine the many things that I CAN eat, and fitting them into a meal plan that my (non-low-carb) DH will also find enjoyable.

I don't have any "long haul-short haul" anecdotes as nobody so far has asked what I am doing "in particular", and I don't volunteer/preach to those not interested enough to ask.

LosingMe16
Mon, Jul-08-13, 11:54
The good way: Because you're happy with what you're eating and you don't really feel the need for a lot of variety. I fall into this one fairly often.

This too.

I feel that, to a degree, people who bemoan their former diet and items they may have to eliminate to follow a certain dietary plan possibly are lacking the true dedication to what NEEDS to be done to reach their goals. I think that sometimes other things in our lives hold us back as well: stress, emotional instability, ridicule, lack of knowledge, etc.

I find the visualizations of certain problematic foods being like "poison" as has been mentioned in a variety of other threads to be a good way of looking at why I shouldn't eat that pint (or more) of ice cream or pound of pasta (I have been known to do this in the past in one sitting).

LONG TERM: To me it goes beyond my weight at this point; my research and scientific-oriented mind likes data, factual information, and references to point to. I've read so many articles (and working through books too now) on the effects of refined carbs and sugars in terms of other health issues such as diabetes, heart disease, cancer, digestive disorders, and beyond that I am AFRAID to eat these ever again! :eek: