PDA

View Full Version : Animal Fats

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Flamingo
Wed, May-22-02, 10:14
I'm new. I am about 12 days into the SP plan and have been reading your threads finding very interesting and motivating comments.

For the last 30 years I've been a model for a low-fat/high carb diet plan. I've yo-yo'd many times and struggled, especially the last few years, trying to lose weight but not achieving results. So, when I read SP I thought I'd found a new religion! The day I started the program I quit drinking tea, quit all the aspartame I was using (lots), quit drinking wine (except for a very occasional glass) and quit with the pasta, white flour, etc. So I've done a 180 in that respect. So far so good.

Now to my question. The one thing in her program I'm struggling with is the animal fats (meat and dairy) which I keep hearing are linked to placque formation and atherosclerosis with long-term use. Do any of you know her explanation of why her plan won't lead us down that path?

Thanks,

The Flamingo

TheBetty
Wed, May-22-02, 16:30
Have you read her book yet? It does address these concerns, if I recall correctly (I am currently re-reading it right now and have not come to this yet).

Perhaps someone will take the time to type the gist of it, but I think you will serve yourselve well to read or re-read her book. I wish you well! --TheBetty

lisaf
Thu, May-23-02, 08:22
Hi all -- I can't claim at the moment to recall very well how SP explains the cholesterol issue but I have skimmed the chapter in the Protein Power Lifeplan which is much more detailed and it essentially comes down to this: 80% of the cholesterol in your body is created BY your body...not from the food you eat. In the absence of normal amounts of dietary fat, the body will over produce cholesterol. When you deprive your body of essential fat (including cholesterol, which by the way is a basic building block of every cell wall in your body), it over compensates. This is why so many people who LC suddenly see improvements in their blood lipid profiles.

I would suggest running a search for cholesterol from the icon in the top right corner and you'll see lots of information I'm sure!

Lisa

Iluv2cook
Sun, May-30-04, 23:10
I asked a similar question on the main board.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=187238

Basically she says that it's high levels of insulin that causes the problems not dietary saturated fat...

Built
Sun, May-30-04, 23:21
I asked a similar question on the main board.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=187238

Basically she says that it's high levels of insulin that causes the problems not dietary saturated fat...

Correct.

I LOWERED my cholesterol eating butter, bacon, eggs, avocados, macadamia nuts, coconut oil, and cheese.

And restricting carbs, of course.

And, because it helps reduce insulin resistance, by weightlifting.