PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Answers

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

victori
Sat, Jun-08-13, 13:43
Hi Everyone-

I created this diet for my husband and I about two years ago. It worked well, when we stuck with it and am thinking of giving it another shot, but I was wondering if someone with more experience in the low-carb world could tell me what diet this most closely resembles. This was just a combination of things that I found to work well for me over the years. There are so many diets out there, I feel like this has to resemble something.

Unlimited List:
Any vegetables
Any fruits
Any Meats
Any Legumes
Any dairy (without added sugar)
Any sauces (without added sugar)
Any oils

Limited List:
Potatoes (up to 1x a day)
Whole Grains (Brown Rice, Whole Wheat Pasta, Quinoa, Oatmeal) (up to three times a day, or three meals max)
Alcohol (never mixed with sugary mixers, 1x a day Mon-Fri. Sat & Sun unlimited within reason)

None List:
Bread
Sugar
Processed meats

Additionally, I would always have one cheat meal a week, where I would allow myself to eat something I would be craving all week like a slice or two of pizza.

I realize that this isn't super low carb, but I was hoping that someone here might be able to guide me in the right direction. Thanks for your help!

2thinchix
Sat, Jun-08-13, 14:16
Well, it really isn't low carb at all - perhaps a "moderate carb" diet? With unlimited legumes, and grain 3 times a day, I think it could actually get really high carb, though. But if it WORKS for you I might not get to hung up on what to call it. Just from my own experience, it wouldn't work for me for two reasons- 1 is that I need to be low carb (20 - 30) to not have cravings, and 2. I've finally concluded that wheat of any kind is a huge no-no (and if you are interested why, read the book wheat belly. About 2 years ago I had this CRAZY friend start insisting that wheat is bad for you and I blew her off - until I finally broke down and read the book, and then started experimenting).
oops - kinda forgot the original question ;-)
This MIGHT fit in with South Beach (after the induction phase), but it emphasizes healthy fats as well, or Carbohydrate Addicts (where you'd have to limit your carbs to one meal a day, but with no further food restrictions).

Cocoatime
Sat, Jun-08-13, 14:39
Looks like the Dash diet, perhaps with more unlimited oil

lovinita
Sat, Jun-08-13, 14:42
You developed your own plan right? How did or is it working for you?

I been on a lot of diets and I honestly think it doesn't really resemble anything except the traditional american eating habits for the most part. Except cutting out the junk food possibly?

I really would not call that low carb either. It is high carb diet. it seems what you did was get rid of some of the processed food and tried to limit some other processed foods.

But overall that is really a high carb diet.

Maybe what you did was cut out your junk food and ate healthier and that allowed you to loose the weight.

But the real question is what are you looking to do?

Nancy LC
Sat, Jun-08-13, 14:51
If I craved pizza, which I never do any longer, I'd make the deep dish pizza quiche which is low carb and far, far better than pizza.

I'm not sure what you're looking for with your diet rules. If it works for you, great. If it doesn't, we might be able to steer you in another direction.

Either way, best of luck!

victori
Sat, Jun-08-13, 14:57
Thanks for your replies! When I followed this, I lost weight at about 2lbs a week, and managed to lose 20lbs. Then I went on a trip and didn't continue following it when I came back and my weight has been ballooning.

I am currently looking for a way of losing weight that's not too strenuous that would be a long term/lifetime solution for me to manage my weight. I have unfortunately recently been diagnosed with an eating disorder that I am currently working through. I am neither bulimic or anorexic, but have some minor compulsive tendencies, and am mostly in what is considered an "unknown" category of eating disorder, which means it's a different circumstance than above. Basically, I think about food/dieting/my body way more than I should. I'm currently working with a dietician and a therapist to help me through all these issues.

Therefore, I'm just looking to find a solution that would allow me to lose weight and not have to think about what I am doing too much. More along the lines of "intuitive" eating, but at the same time I know breads and sugar don't work well with me. Just doing a little bit of research before I meet with my dietician again.

Thanks for your help!

TeresaTX
Sat, Jun-08-13, 15:03
You'd have to do some more adapting but it sounds like you are open to it - I'd suggest you check into Primal, there are some similarities though the grains would have to go.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-to-the-primal-eating-plan/#axzz2Vf2MVKNa

Nancy LC
Sat, Jun-08-13, 15:07
One of the truly remarkable things about low carb ketogenic dieting is that it allows you to free yourself from obsessing about food. I happen to think for most people that obsessing is actually physiological. Those carbs drive insulin up which drives blood sugar down and makes you hungry. The whole cycle perpetuates a food obsession.

The book "Wheat Belly" (written by a cardiologist) has a lot of information about why these things happen.

I'm finding that on a truly ketogenic diet I'm quite content on a very redundant diet. I just don't think about food all that much.

Anyway, lots of people here have had the same thing happen.

Firefly428
Sun, Jun-09-13, 06:46
I also made my own moderate carb diet plan.

It is working so well for me.

I calorie count now. I eat whatever I want with being very careful to avoid 'most' breads and junk carbs obviously, but if I want a bit I know I can eat them.

I am 1500 cals per day with 30-40 NC for 4 days a week
Then on Friday, Sat, Sun I am 1700 cals. with UP TO 60-70 NC

I make alot of lower carb meals, enjoy some snacks I missed, and can easily maintain this plan. I am losing about 1-2 lbs a week and I am not food obsessed anymore. Very low carb made me start toward binge eating. cause it was so restrictive.
my own moderate plan with low carb knowledge is working so well for me and fits into my lifestyle.

I went on vacation and with drinking a bit and eating out gained 6.2. I lost it all in 3 days without ANY distress or worry. My plan works so well for me.

find the way that is comfortable for how you want to eat thru life then work it! I did and the results are fab.!

2thinchix
Sun, Jun-09-13, 16:15
oh, I missed something obvious! Your approach of "yes" "sometimes" and "never" lists reminds me of Rick Gallop's "G.I. Diet" that I lost 40 pounds on a few years ago. I think your food choices are similar - he was all about "good" carbs and "good" fats. Check that one out - it might take a lot of thinking about dieting out of it for you since it has red, yellow and green food lists - you just buy and eat whatever is on the green llist.