PDA

View Full Version : okay, now my coconut oil question....

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

2thinchix
Fri, May-17-13, 10:24
I've been using it. I like the taste alone, but NOT on other food, so I'm not cooking with it. Put it in my coffee for the first time today and I just think it's weird. Don't care much for the chocolate bark. Honestly, I prefer butter for all my cooking and olive oil for my salads. Fortunately I don't mind eating it straight - but is it REALLY doing anything for me? Can someone please review the benefits for me...because I can't remember exactly what it is supposed to do so I'm not sure it is doing anything ;-)

bkloots
Fri, May-17-13, 12:06
My humble opinion? If you don't like it, don't see the value in it, and enjoy other sources of good fats more, then skip the coconut oil.

There are plenty of websites touting the benefits of coconut oil. But as with everything in life, YMMV. There's no magic substance. None.

WereBear
Fri, May-17-13, 15:50
I've been giving it to my 17 year old cat, with dementia, for two years now, and it makes him dramatically better.

http://www.naturalnews.com/030971_coconut_brain_function.html

Also, it is an MCT oil; it goes directly into our systems as an energy source without engaging the digestive system. So this means I can have a spoonful with a cup of hot tea and get to a meal that is hours away.

lterry913
Sat, May-18-13, 07:58
Do you put cream in your coffee too...if so try putting in in a bullet type blender and blend for about 15 seconds...turns out like a latte and the coconut oil doesn't separate for the coffee...I have not tried this without the cream...it may work but not sure.

I am using it for the good skin effects...I find my overall skin tone is better while taking it. I don't know how it helps from the inside out , but it does...I also believe in the dementia connection so I will keep it up for that reason. Coconut oil is a good fuel for the brain, I have read.

lterry913
Sat, May-18-13, 07:59
Do you put cream in your coffee too...if so try putting in in a bullet type blender and blend for about 15 seconds...turns out like a latte and the coconut oil doesn't separate for the coffee...I have not tried this without the cream...it may work but not sure.

I am using it for the good skin effects...I find my overall skin tone is better while taking it. I don't know how it helps from the inside out , but it does...I also believe in the dementia connection so I will keep it up for that reason. Coconut oil is a good fuel for the brain, I have read.
BTW you can get unflavored coconut oil to make chocolate with...that is my strategy...I don't like coconut flavor in all my chocolate.

chuck41
Sun, May-19-13, 08:14
It is said to be great for your cholesterol. Raises the HDL (good) cholesterol of which I usually am very low. I love Mounds Bars so I make my own poor-boys' Mounds candies by adding flaked coconut to my "coconut bark" recipe and have a chunk morning and night. It is also much more high heat tolerant than olive oil for cooking. I don't like the flavor in some things though.